Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2017 3:40:48 PM EDT
Does anyone here run a polymer sight on their railed piston gas block?  I saw a few Magpuls in the photo sections.  I know the polymer sight manufacturers say not to put their sights on a railed gas block but I'm wondering if anyone here has seen this either work fine or go bad themselves?  I've talked to a few deputies that I work with who say it will only melt or be an issue if you are dumping mag after mag which is understandable, and truthfully I can't afford to waste ammo in that manner anyways.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Would you use plastic cookware on your barbecue?
Sure. If you only need to quickly remove or flip something. Never in a prolonged

Polymer sights are fine provided you employ slow controlled fire and allow cool down time after each mag.
But is it really worth the risk, or compromised use cases. No.

Get a set of metal sights or just make sure the front sight is metal.
The current crop of Poly BUIS are bulky looking anyway.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
They don't generally melt.  The high heat and cooling action allows the polymer to become brittle.  Only day they just fall apart.

I've seen it happen several times.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I have seen the posts that Spike Tactical did a long time ago for their compressor SBR prototype. They cook the plastic and the ladder rail covers off.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, thanks for the replies on this, I'll put out the extra money for metal.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top