Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2016 7:11:40 AM EDT
Hey guys not real sure where to put this but since it is Piston Related I will put it here.

A few years back I built a Rifle with an AA Retro kit.  The main reason I went with gas piston was as a left handed shooter I wanted to keep the gas out of the upper. (Well I F'ed that up when I got a suppressor!! Oh well) The weapon works very well but since I built it I have had accuracy issues.  Now I have no problems hitting my target at 100 yards.  It groups pretty consistently at say fist sized or smaller at that range.  I am just not happy with that.  I feel the rifle should be capable of at least 1" groups at 100 yards.   I have been told that piston guns are just like that.  I don't believe it.  I have a good friend that has a factory built AA upper and he can get sub MOA shot groups with no problem...

Now at a 100 yards its not a real issue.. but once you start pushing out a little it does...

My set up was built using a PSA CHF barrel which I believe to be a FN if I am not mistaken.  I really want this thing to shoot tighter groups as it is my "GOTO" rifle.  Should I consider trying a different barrel?  Should I tear it down and put it all back together and reseat and retorque the barrel? 

What is a good middle of the road barrel?  Not looking budget but not looking match grade either.  I just want an accurate barrel with out breaking the bank....  I am currently looking at the Brownells house brand barrel made by Satern Barrels.  It is on sale now for under 250...

What do you guys think?

WP
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of ammo are you running through your barrel currently?

A new barrel would probably help as a PSA CHF FN are nice, but not exactly known as MOA barrels maybe 1.5 MOA.

Look at Ballistic Advantage barrels (Granite Ridge Outfitters has good prices on them) Larue Barrels, Faxon barrels, White Oak Armament, Rainer Arms also has very nice house branded barrels.

https://www.rainierarms.com/barrels/223-5-56-6-8-300blk/rainierarmsllc?dir=asc&order=price
http://www.larue.com/barrels?sort=popular
http://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Barrels_c56.htm
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/barrels.html
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Faxon_Barrels_AR15_Barrels_s/152287.htm
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Ammo is a big factor but I agree I use a carbine length Balistic advantage barrel and it's been great. The main issue I would look at is the coating of the barrel. The chrome moly are great for life span and round count but accuracy suffers. By far my lwrci is the most accurate of my ar15s but the barrel isn't moly coated and my di is.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll put in a recommendation for the Faxon barrels. Very nice!
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the recommendations..... 

I have tried several different types of ammo... Wolf because I had it, PMC Bronze, Some 62 Grain green tip, I even tried some different hand loads in 69 and 77 Gr.  I have a 20in gun that I have been using as a test bed for my reloads (it belongs to my cousin) and it will do clover leafs with just about anything.  It really liked my hand loads...

This time in particular I was using PMC Bronze.. I am going to go out and take some pics of the targets to and post up....

I am currently using an ACOG TA01 scope that was used on another rifle with no issue so I don't think it is that but... I am going to mount my 1-4 scope on there and see if there is any difference before I go buying a new barrel.   I have never really heard of people having issues with ACOGS before but its not out of the realm of possibility.  

I am still looking at barrels though... problem is finding them in stock...  The ballistic Advantage looks good...at 175 for their "Performance series"

IDK.. I will do some testing and get back to yall... thanks again..

WP
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The offending rifle....

KIMG0436 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Well after going out to my range... (I got a 100 yard range in my back yard) I put some rounds through my rifle.  I tried the other scope after zeroing it at 25 yards to get it close.  I didn't want to waste too many rounds since I was planning on taking it back off anyway.  

The results... 

ACOG at 25 yards...

55 gr PMC Bronze
KIMG0452 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

ACOG at 100 Yards...

55 gr PMC Bronze
KIMG0449 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

KIMG0448 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

I believe this to be my 69 gr SMK with RL15

KIMG0447 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

With the other scope....

25 yards
KIMG0450 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

100 yards...
KIMG0451 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

This is all off a bench using a lead sled front rest and a rolled up pair of coveralls and a squeeze bag in the rear...

The rifle itself has is built on a PSA upper with:
PSA CHF barrel
ADAMS Arms retro kit installed (runs like a top)
Samson EVO EX rail with the EVO rail extension
Raptor Charging handle
ACOG TAO1 with a Killflash mounted to a GDI R-com E model QD mount 
JP red dot mounted  to the ACOG 
Magpul PRO BUIS
Magpul AFG
AAC Flash Supressor 
AAC 762-SDN-6
The lower too is PSA
Geissele G2S trigger
Magpul Moe+ grip
Magpul CTR stock (Commercial tube)
Carbine buffer
Knights Armament AMBI Safety
Knights Armament AMBI Mag release

Am sure I am missing something but trying to be detailed.....

My assessment......... I suck at the 100 yard mark..  I think I need more trigger time and work on the fundamentals...  maybe slow down when shooting my groups. 
I am really starting to think that its a shooter issue and not a rifle issue.  IDK... 

What do you guys think... 
WP
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like you may have several factors lending to those groups:

Like you said, you may just need more time behind the rifle to get the feel for it and get your fundamentals down rock solid. Optics wise it's only a 4x scope, not ideal for "precision" work. While capable of smaller groups, your fundamentals need to be spot on to maximize a fixed power scope that low on the spectrum. Ammo wise  the PMC Bronze line isn't exactly known for precision. A lot of people claim it's pretty under-powered, which is fine for plinking but not great for group work. And there's always the chance the barrel could be funy.

Start with the cheapest solutions first. Remove and re-tighten the barrel nut to ensure it's within spec is basically free, so try that first if you feel so inclined. Next, try transferring a higher power (10x) scope to the rifle and see if that helps shrink the groups. Better quality ammo would be next, take your pick of the litter in this case. I run hand-loads in all my rifles for accuracy testing. 60gr V-Max over H335 in LC brass w/ Rem 7 1/2 primers has been my go-to load for accuracy (100-200 yds) in several rifles for almost three decades now. That load produced a couple of 9/16" groups out of my LMT Piston rifle at 100 yds, so I won't badmouth piston systems, even though my stable has more DIs than pistons.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#8]

So I uploaded my shot pics into ONTarget and here are the results...

11 round group by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

17 round group by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

SMK group by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

I think I just need more range time....... Going to load some more of those 69 grain bullets.. I also have some other stuff I am going to try before I get crazy and spend the money on a new barrel...   

Like it was said above.. it is only a 4x scope...   

Thanks for all ya'lls input.  I'll be back...

WP
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#9]
For anyone following along...Another thread
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I've always had good luck with LOTHAR WALTHER barrels in .223 Wylde.

I've used ARD barrels and re branded MAS defense as well and for the money, they aren't bad at all.

Actually the only barrel in the low to mid price range I have had a significant problem with was a $250 Bravo Co barrel.
The threads were not concentric to the bore. It was out .035" That made me scratch my head then get kind of irritated.

Some things to consider are; where the barrel is actually being produced and what materials are used.
If you are savvy you can find a rebranded barrel made with the same materials on the same machines, same process (different runs)
that are marketed as mid quality for retail of $400 under another brand for $110-150.

Also, since this thread turned into an accuracy post, Just like using a FF rail for harmonics, look into the effects of barrel nut torque and set yours accordingly.
Just My $ .02.

Happy hunting
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top