Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2016 1:09:03 AM EDT
I just picked up a new Gen 4 P308. It rolled off the factory floor in November 2016. To my surprise, it has a 5-position adjustable gas block instead of a 3-position. None of their marketing material shows a 5-position gas block is available. Check out the grooves in the front of the gas block compared to a standard 3-position block. Also, there are 4 holes of different sizes in the gas plug/regulator instead of 2 holes.

On a side note, the gas plug/regulator spins freely in a counter-clockwise direction. It's not supposed to. I emailed POF a few minutes ago. The detent on the plug is a little different and I think that's what the problem is. I'll update once I hear back.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Update on the gas plug: the gas plug that came with the rifle had a manufacture date of 12/15 and spun freely in the gas block. I called POF, talked to a guy briefly and got an RMA. I shipped them the gas plug and within a couple business days they shipped a new plug with a manufacture date of 09/16. The new plug works as expected. Hope to get it to the range tomorrow.

Looking at some pictures I took of the original gas plug, I think the detent on the new one sits just a hair lower than the old one. The detent itself appears to be unchanged, but I wonder if they didn't relocate that detent hole that's in the plug by a few hundredths of an inch.

One last note: the tech I spoke with at POF said they went from s 3 position gas system to a 5 position gas system about a year ago. I still haven't found any marketing materials or descriptions that indicate a 5 position gas regulator.

Anyhow, I hope someday if somebody has the same problem they do an internet search and find this useful. Despite what some have reported, POF customer service does NOT suck if you're just a tiny bit patient. Took a little time to be resolved but resolved it was, no kicking and screaming and Internet tantrum required.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the owner's manual state what the additional 2 positions are for? My Gen 3's are all 3 position, and you have normal, single shot, and suppressed positions. I'm curious to know what the two new positions are for.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#3]
1 regular and 3 for  suppressed,    The manual was never changed on the gen 4 to tell you that also it would of been a great selling point even now the piston rifles have a 5 position.  Before you had to send your plug of the gen 3 back to them if it didn't work on your can so they could open up the gas plug.  Now the gas plug works with almost  all cans because of it extra settings.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I have that same rifle. I had to send it back stove piping bad while suppressed I cant even shoot 3 rounds without it doing it . POF has had it now under a few days from being a month with my can also since they needed to adjust it to the can.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Update: finally got to the range with the new Gen 4. Like the previous P308s I've owned, it runs great and is a tack driver. EASILY groups under 2 MOA with cheap federal M80 ball ammo. (I suspect it groups closer to 1 MOA but I'm too impatient.)

My buddy has the same rifle and we did a dueling mag dump. Holy shit was it loud. I have since ordered my first silencer.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top