Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2016 3:02:18 PM EDT
I read on a Ruger board that Ruger says a 556 bolt needs to be factory fit and they wouldn't just sell one to you.

Now I know fitting a barrel to an upper requires head space measurements and it is dangerous if you don't do it right.
But I though the bolt, extractor, firing pin and related parts (not the piston carrier, obviously) were all industry standard drop in parts.

Is there any harm in ordering a chrome plated bolt from any reputable supplier and just swapping it out? (After removing gas rings)

I'm pretty sure the answer is not and Ruger is just in CYA mode, but wanted to check to be sure.

Thanks,
Andy

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You "should" be able to swap in any standard AR15 bolt. But the safe and prudent thing is to check headspace afterwards. You'll probably be fine but it is still a good idea to check.

So what is wrong with the bolt that came in your rifle? Are you having problems with it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You "should" be able to swap in any standard AR15 bolt. But the safe and prudent thing is to check headspace afterwards. You'll probably be fine but it is still a good idea to check.

So what is wrong with the bolt that came in your rifle? Are you having problems with it?

View Quote

Thanks for the info.

Nothing wrong with it, just wanting to make it all chrome like my other 556 since it's shinier.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 4:13:55 AM EDT
[#3]
http://store.srcarms.com/product-p/reliabolt.htm

Maybe give one of these a try.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I have found POF has a chrome bolt for $85 and Stag Arms has one for $55. I am having a hard time finding any others.

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top