Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2016 8:01:44 PM EDT
I'm debating on selling/trading my lwrc for a DI gun. I have the itch to do an A2 carbine style build and frankly I'm a little tired of my lwrc. I was at the range the other day with my dad and he has a 16" bushmaster with just a red dot on it and it was insanely light compared to my gun. Even my 20" A2 felt lighter than my lwrc, maybe it was just the weight distribution.

All that being said, I feel like it would be wrong to go from a higher end gun to something less. And I don't mean that in a boasting way.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Its similar to buying your kids an expensive toy and they have more fun playing with the box......its what makes you happy.
Buy and use what YOU like the best regardless of cost or whats trendy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I understand your point but I will ask, did you go home with him and clean it?
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#3]
People sell their AR's?  How does one go about this?  I've never experienced this...LOL!

But seriously, even though I haven't gotten around to the point of wanting to sell any of my AR's and bullpups, there's nothing wrong in getting something else that pushes one's buttons.  Frankly, at the moment I wouldn't want to sell an AR or combat capable weapon in this market.  It's a buyer's market, and I'd keep some money invested in several AR's and other "evil" rifles.  Either by this next election or the occurrence of one or more heinous acts that will inevitably be attributed to "a gun", weapons such as these will increase in value exponentially.  I'd keep what you have if it's at all possible and get the DI gun you want to go along with it.

On the quality issue of a given DI AR over your LWRC, that can be all over the board in price and performance depending on what you select.  I have an LWRC that I really like, but I also have three other AR15's that are DI that I really like just as well...along with a pair of AR10's...along with three different bullpup rifles.  In the future if the conditions are right, I might consider selling one or two of them...but not in this market.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 3:17:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its similar to buying your kids an expensive toy and they have more fun playing with the box......its what makes you happy.
View Quote

My baby loves dish rags and this pot/pan handle cover thing. That and the dog's bones.

Anyways. Nothing wrong with it. Doesn't have to be a "lesser" gun. Noveske isn't lesser. Bcm makes some very nice offerings. And you can always go custom.

Plenty of custom build just as reliable and accurate as your LWRC. Cheaper too. But, if you've got a hefty budget, the sky's the limit nowadays. For the cost if the LWRC, you could have a superb build.

ETA: I've sold too many of my guns. Kept getting insane offers. Figured there will always be more guns. But now i got the baby and the gun fund is minimal. Just been stocking up on ammo and small stuff here and there. But I've stopped selling my shit. Takes too long to replenish.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good point.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I understand your point but I will ask, did you go home with him and clean it?
View Quote

Haha, I did not but I have two DI guns so I understand what you're saying.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
People sell their AR's?  How does one go about this?  I've never experienced this...LOL!

But seriously, even though I haven't gotten around to the point of wanting to sell any of my AR's and bullpups, there's nothing wrong in getting something else that pushes one's buttons.  Frankly, at the moment I wouldn't want to sell an AR or combat capable weapon in this market.  It's a buyer's market, and I'd keep some money invested in several AR's and other "evil" rifles.  Either by this next election or the occurrence of one or more heinous acts that will inevitably be attributed to "a gun", weapons such as these will increase in value exponentially.  I'd keep what you have if it's at all possible and get the DI gun you want to go along with it.

On the quality issue of a given DI AR over your LWRC, that can be all over the board in price and performance depending on what you select.  I have an LWRC that I really like, but I also have three other AR15's that are DI that I really like just as well...along with a pair of AR10's...along with three different bullpup rifles.  In the future if the conditions are right, I might consider selling one or two of them...but not in this market.
View Quote

I'm not normally one to sell guns but I have a lot of money tied up in this one and getting rid of it would clear up plenty of funds to build something I'd like.

A lot of times I find myself getting impatient and just wanting something different. Maybe I ought to slowly gather parts and build one up over a period of time instead of buying everything at once or a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My baby loves dish rags and this pot/pan handle cover thing. That and the dog's bones.

Anyways. Nothing wrong with it. Doesn't have to be a "lesser" gun. Noveske isn't lesser. Bcm makes some very nice offerings. And you can always go custom.

Plenty of custom build just as reliable and accurate as your LWRC. Cheaper too. But, if you've got a hefty budget, the sky's the limit nowadays. For the cost if the LWRC, you could have a superb build.

ETA: I've sold too many of my guns. Kept getting insane offers. Figured there will always be more guns. But now i got the baby and the gun fund is minimal. Just been stocking up on ammo and small stuff here and there. But I've stopped selling my shit. Takes too long to replenish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking just a basic colt a2 carbine build. I don't really need anything Noveske, lol.

Been stocking up on ammo and parts as well, that never has stopped and never will.

You all might have talked me into just keeping it. lol
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Learning to want what you got sure makes things a little easier, as for the DI, it will wear on you that you have the long dirty chamber cleaning time to contend with.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm debating on selling/trading my lwrc for a DI gun. I have the itch to do an A2 carbine style build and frankly I'm a little tired of my lwrc. I was at the range the other day with my dad and he has a 16" bushmaster with just a red dot on it and it was insanely light compared to my gun. Even my 20" A2 felt lighter than my lwrc, maybe it was just the weight distribution.

All that being said, I feel like it would be wrong to go from a higher end gun to something less. And I don't mean that in a boasting way.
View Quote

I sold my LWRC IC-SPR for a KAC SR15 and couldn't be any happier. The LWRC was a great rifle but I wasn't in love with bow it handled. The KWC is much better balanced and has a softer recoil impulse. I will probably end up getting another LWRC at some point since they have some features I really like.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Apples and oranges.

Both platforms have their pros and cons. Cleaning is rather easy with either platform.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I was on the SiG Forum, and one of the members there was talking about a thread here where some gun rental shop in Las Vegas had started a thread on what they saw as the best performing AR's, parts, lube's and pretty much everything that had to do with the gun and maintenance.

A few things jumped out at me ... No piston guns had a longer life expectancy a DI gun, and they typically lasted 2x longer. An HK-416 they bought, didn't last as long as typical mid-grade builds did; the barrel was shot out at 10,000 rounds; just about every other barrel, semi or full auto would last around 20,000 before they started key-holing  except JT barrels, they lasted 60,000+ rounds ... From what I read of the article (he had edited it) that was one of the biggest surprises ... Of lubes they were all about equal as long as you followed the manufacturers instructions, which basically said to run it wet ... However they did see less "misting" with Slip2000 when the gun got hot ... Lastly, LMT bolts typically lasted a little longer than generic mil-spec bolts but not long enough to warrant their higher price ... To the best of my remembry, nothing was mentioned of any other premium guns like KAC's
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was on the SiG Forum, and one of the members there was talking about a thread here where some gun rental shop in Las Vegas had started a thread on what they saw as the best performing AR's, parts, lube's and pretty much everything that had to do with the gun and maintenance.

A few things jumped out at me ... No piston guns had a longer life expectancy a DI gun, and they typically lasted 2x longer. An HK-416 they bought, didn't last as long as typical mid-grade builds did; the barrel was shot out at 10,000 rounds; just about every other barrel, semi or full auto would last around 20,000 before they started key-holing  except JT barrels, they lasted 60,000+ rounds ... From what I read of the article (he had edited it) that was one of the biggest surprises ... Of lubes they were all about equal as long as you followed the manufacturers instructions, which basically said to run it wet ... However they did see less "misting" with Slip2000 when the gun got hot ... Lastly, LMT bolts typically lasted a little longer than generic mil-spec bolts but not long enough to warrant their higher price ... To the best of my remembry, nothing was mentioned of any other premium guns like KAC's
View Quote

The battlefield Vegas thread was posted here as well. Was actually a HK MR556 and not a 416 he tested. Barrels are completely different, between those two.

He also mentioned there were numerous AR Factory piston systems that he did not try and emphasised he was more trying specific "conversion" kits. Who knows for sure which ones he did but I remember he stated he never used a LWRC and I don't think he tried a PWS either.

According to LWRC though, they mentioned in their own testing they found DI to go longer periods of time with less part swappijg, due to the gas tube. Less springs/maintenance items there. They still maintain their piston was found to be more reliable in "dirty" conditions and such but that is up for debate/discussion I'm sure.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an LWRCI gas gun and I'll never sell it. It just runs and runs.......and yes you are crazy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Apples and oranges.

Both platforms have their pros and cons. Cleaning is rather easy with either platform.
View Quote

And we don't even know what "fruit" you're working with.  If you are under the assumption that the piston system has everything to do with weight differences between an LWRC and a Bushy you might just want to examine them a little closer.  

I'm betting that EVERY component in the LWRC is superior to every component in the bushy.  So it's heavier, big deal.  How often are you humping through the bush all day?  I'm guessing never.  There is a reason your AR cost 4x what his did, it's at least 4x better made.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#16]
May I ask why do you have to choose between one or the other? Why can't you have..... both?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And we don't even know what "fruit" you're working with.  If you are under the assumption that the piston system has everything to do with weight differences between an LWRC and a Bushy you might just want to examine them a little closer.  

I'm betting that EVERY component in the LWRC is superior to every component in the bushy.  So it's heavier, big deal.  How often are you humping through the bush all day?  I'm guessing never.  There is a reason your AR cost 4x what his did, it's at least 4x better made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apples and oranges.

Heavier doesn't mean anything anymore. I have a Superlative Arms 14.5 pin/weld piston w/ 13" handguard and an Aimpoint t2. It has a full mass carrier and standard buffer. Weighs about 5 lbs 2 oz.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I think you should keep the LWRC and just save up or build an economical A2. You could also just buy an upper and use it on your LWRC lower then, save a little here and there then buy a dedicated lower for the A2 upper.

Of all the piston offerings on the market, I personally feel that the LWRC is one of the best there is. I have two that I bought back in 2007 and I've never had an issue to date with either one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think you should keep the LWRC and just save up or build an economical A2. You could also just buy an upper and use it on your LWRC lower then, save a little here and there then buy a dedicated lower for the A2 upper.

Of all the piston offerings on the market, I personally feel that the LWRC is one of the best there is. I have two that I bought back in 2007 and I've never had an issue to date with either one.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

+1.  

"Contentment is not so much pursuing what you would like to have, but liking what you already have."   Or something like that. :D
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#21]
As nicely mad as the LWRC is I agree with the OP in that it is too heavy and the weight makes it too muzzle heavy, unbalanced particularly when compared to the PWS MK1 carbines

The Mod 1 (and even more so with the new not yet released Mod2 version) is as light as a DI with the same neutral balance, all the things I like about a DI but with an AR I don't have to clean hardly ever.

For those that sit at a bench it may not matter but for running around carrying and shooting particularly 3-4 times a week the PWS is in a class of its own

Of course, IMO
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like it's time for you to build a lightweight DI gun. I sold off my LMT MRP piston guns after I built a solid lightweight. It's iust more pleasant of a rifle to go hiking with for me.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top