Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2015 12:02:57 PM EDT
I have a Sig 516 Patrol that is in great shape with very little use (<200 rounds) and am thinking about an LWRC IC A2 (piston 16" 5.56). This one has a NiB bolt and FCG, but the handguards are full quad (not the LWRC bolt on system) I'm guessing the difference to be about $350-400 that I will be out of pocket.

Is that worth it? Not familiar with how these two piston systems are different.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically,

-LWRC has that unicorn stigma
-its got more handguard, which I would prefer
-I would be getting it in OD Green (I have never had a non-black AR)
-ambi controls are cool, right?

I always have heard "LWRC is the shit" but never known someone who personally had one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had a number of LWRC's (IC, a couple A2's, an A3 upper and a REPR)  I have pushed away from the entire line- sold traded all for SCAR-16 and 17 and back to DI uppers.  The benefits of the  IC, it was one of the first to come standard with total ambi controls (however, the ambi selector was sloppy and the bolt release was rough on mine from the factory)  After that, you're getting more hand guard and that's about it unless you get the spiral fluted barrel)  It has a suppressed setting on the front of the gas block- it's still over gassed if you do in fact run a can on it.  The use of a quality adjustable gas block on a DI upper will far outweigh the benefits of the piston.   Believe me, I used to sing LWRC's praises, but really if you have the Sig already (change your trigger out) you really aren't' gaining much beside handgaurd real estate.  IMO.  Just for grins, try a SCAR.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I have three LWRCs.  Limited Edition M6IC, Six8 UCIW, 16" fluted barrel REPR.  Love all three.  All have the SSA-E trigger.  A friend of mine has the M6IC enhanced, a friend of his has the Sig. They have shot each other's and the guy with the Sig said he liked the LWRC better fwiw.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had 2 M6ICs and a REPR ..... IMO at that price point I would be getting a KAC SR15 or a LaRue PredatAR/OBR
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes...do it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had 2 M6ICs and a REPR ..... IMO at that price point I would be getting a KAC SR15 or a LaRue PredatAR/OBR
View Quote

this would be ~$1700
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#7]
i sold both of my Sig piston rifles and bought a FN SCAR17, i would go with the LWRC also
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

To me between KAC, LaRue & LWRC it is a matter of personal preference.  I have shot the LaRue and it is a great piece.  I have not shot the KAC, but have heard great things about them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Short answer, yes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Can someone explain how easily adjustable the LWRC IC A2's gas system is? That's one thing I like a lot about the Sig, it's easy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can someone explain how easily adjustable the LWRC IC A2's gas system is? That's one thing I like a lot about the Sig, it's easy.
View Quote

It's simple .... Takes all of 5 seconds .... Just rotate the tuning knob to your desired position
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's simple .... Takes all of 5 seconds .... Just rotate the tuning knob to your desired position
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, it even allows you to use the tip of a round to make the adjustment.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so it has your typical, numbered/labeled, hard locking positions? Suppressed, closed, etc?
Are the barrels that aren't fluted not as accurate?

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

so it has your typical, numbered/labeled, hard locking positions? Suppressed, closed, etc?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ICA2  does not have an adjustable gas block. You need to upgrade to the IC Enhanced or the ICA5 for the adjustable gas block.

With the IC-E and IC-A5, it is a nob at the edge of the rail, at the gas block. Horizontal is non-suppressed and vericle is suppressed. It is only a two position (suppressed and un-suppressed). There is a hole in the nob to permit a tool or bullet to be used to change the gas setting, under heat.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fluted barrels are accurate, just lighter.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wasn't sure if they were .223 wylde, 1 in 8, etc

they lack of an adjustable gas block kinda breaks the deal. the option is only good for the IC A2
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a Sig 516 Patrol that is in great shape with very little use (<200 rounds) and am thinking about an LWRC IC A2 (piston 16" 5.56). This one has a NiB bolt and FCG, but the handguards are full quad (not the LWRC bolt on system) I'm guessing the difference to be about $350-400 that I will be out of pocket.

View Quote

Running the risk of repeating what other posters said:

I own both of these weapons systems and they both work well for me.
They are both very tolerant of low quality ammo ( which is important for those of us who shoot a lot.

If I were to do it all over again I am not sure I would have bought 2 LWRCS to my 2 SIG516s.
They are great and I love'em (and they ahve nice snob appeal ;) ) but the Sig costs so much less is and 90% the rifle the LWRC is.

Of course when I bought my LDUBS they were still going for 2.4k and the sigs for 1.5k

If the difference was only 400 bucks I might go with LWRC again after all.

Also the legacy M6A2 uppers can now be found new for a steal.
Not adjustable gas but CHEAP and good.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Didn't Sig copy LWRC piston design on the gen 1 516's? I think I remember some kind of a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Didn't Sig copy LWRC piston design on the gen 1 516's? I think I remember some kind of a lawsuit.
View Quote

yes there was some notable copying going on.
Thats why early Sig516 BCGs work in M6 (supposedly that is.... I never tried it personally even tho I own both)

Sig has changed its BCG so it is now noticeably different than LWRCs
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 12:53:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Sold my LWRCs and went to PWS for piston guns.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good for you, I did the opposite.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#22]
LWRC M6A2 here..... Excellent..!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nice, I went with the better factory piston
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:00:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer to not need a tool, or a bullet tip, to reach my regulator, and prefer to not have keymod. You can keep your perceived "better" rifle.

Also, please keep this thread on topic, which was in regards to the OPs question, not which piston system you ditched.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#25]
The point May be moot now, but personally I'd keep the Sig.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 1:21:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Depends on what you want. I own a IC (with the bayonet lug gas block) and I dislike the current bolt on rail. Keep in mind you can't change quad rails since the IC uses a proprietary upper extension, though I believe the 516 is also in a similar situation.

The LWRC compact stock is nice though, as well as the ambi controls, though the right side safety may take some getting used to since it touches your trigger finger. I've gotten used to that, though the safety selector on mine is stiff compared to a normal one-sided safety.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I own an IC and an S-L (uppers).  I love these two, but I don't think I would sell the 516 to get one.  You can get an aftermarket rail for the SIG if you want more "real estate."

The "S-L" is still evolving:

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They are both very tolerant of low quality ammo ( which is important for those of us who shoot a lot.

If I were to do it all over again I am not sure I would have bought 2 LWRCS to my 2 SIG516s.
They are great and I love'em (and they ahve nice snob appeal ;) ) but the Sig costs so much less is and 90% the rifle the LWRC is.

Of course when I bought my LDUBS they were still going for 2.4k and the sigs for 1.5k

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding on the recent prices of the complete LWRC uppers.  I got my M6A2-S for just $699.  Mid-gas, nice NiB BCG, nice handguard, and other nice features.  Slapped it on a complete $499 POF lower with an awesome trigger group, anti-tilt buffer, Magpul ACS stock, ambi controls, and more.  For $1200 total, it's a deal that was hard to beat.  Prices are nuts at this point in time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Huh , it's been a while since I've been on here . There use to be lots of love for LWRC . I think last time I was on here was around when Colt was possibly buying them , and at that time it seemed a little less warm for LWRC . Well any way my LWRC's have had no issues and I'm liking them . Carry on
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Huh , it's been a while since I've been on here . There use to be lots of love for LWRC . I think last time I was on here was around when Colt was possibly buying them , and at that time it seemed a little less warm for LWRC . Well any way my LWRC's have had no issues and I'm liking them . Carry on
View Quote

That may be because LWRC at one point was one of the few choices for reliable, well appointed, piston op ARs and a manufacturer who also offered them in many lengths, NATO and non-NATO calibers.

Fast forward a decade or so and everyone is in the game. The low end players have increased their quality enough to the point that LWRCs look a touch overpriced to anyone who isn't in the professional market.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That may be because LWRC at one point was one of the few choices for reliable, well appointed, piston op ARs and a manufacturer who also offered them in many lengths, NATO and non-NATO calibers.

Fast forward a decade or so and everyone is in the game. The low end players have increased their quality enough to the point that LWRCs look a touch overpriced to anyone who isn't in the professional market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sums it up.  When I ordered my first LWRC, my friends thought I was nuts for paying that much.  Once they held and shot it, they could see/feel that it is worth it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:09:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Good stuff is good stuff!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The low end players have increased their quality enough to the point that LWRCs look a touch overpriced to anyone who isn't in the professional market.
View Quote

The 516 has enough domestic and international use that I'd put it in the "professional market" category.  

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a 516 and like it, but yes, rail "real estate" is a bit lacking.

I've never owned or shot an LWRC, but from what I've seen of their piston design, I prefer Sig's.

My thoughts, unless the LWRC has a feature or something specific you want that the Sig lacks, there's no reason to switch.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#35]
i own both the SIG 516 + LWRC M6A2 SPR. I don't see $500 worth of difference between the two. Both have been trouble free and accuracy is about the same.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top