Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2015 12:49:24 PM EDT
I just got a Rock River PDS carbine. Just wondering how often you PDS owners clean the piston?

I own a SCAR 16, and have owned a couple of AUGs in the past. On those, I usually removed the piston and scrubbed it clean after every range trip. But the PDS has that roll pin you must knock out to remove the piston. I did it once already when I first cleaned the gun - just to get a feel for it.

I plan to go put about 120 rounds thru it tomorrow, and I'll clean the gun afterwards. But, not sure I was gonna bother taking the quad rail off first, just so I could knock that roll pin out and get to the piston.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Being the #1 reason for using a piston AR type is so we don't have to clean the gun after every use I have to wonder why you don't use a DI which requires it.

Not saying there is anything wrong with how you want to do things, whatever feels right to you is right.

I have 4 PWS MK1 carbines and frankly after 120 rounds there is absolutely no reason to clean the gun, it is a waste of time.

I used to run Daewoo 200s and usually cleaned them every 3,000-4000 rounds .

Not trying to criticize you just trying to understand the why
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I do always clean all my guns after every range trip. Just habit and my preference. I even shot a few rounds thru my PX4 compact handgun yesterday - just to make sure the new stealth slide stop lever locked the slide back everytime. Despite that, I cleaned the handgun when I got home... I always do that...

But, I find that the piston rifles still clean up much faster than DI. That's why I like them so much. And, I also prefer a side charging handle. I've had two AUGs in the past, as well as two PS90s. And, I have a SCAR 16 right now. I've never cared for the location of the AR charging handle, personally. So, that also plays a factor in my choice.....

This new Rock River was actually cleaner inside of the gun than my SCAR is when I clean it. So, that was nice. It cleaned up very fast. I basically just wiped everything down and relubed it.

I'll clean the piston after the next range trip, probably.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Cleaning the bolt, carrier, breach, barrel, etc, I see no problems with cleaning that after every trip. However, I would consult the MFR on the piston, since you say you have to remove a roll pin to take it apart? With removing the roll pin often, I'd be more worried about wearing out the roll pin holes to the point that the roll pin wont stay put anymore. I honestly wouldn't worry about cleaning the piston much, aside from just spraying it out with some carb/brake cleaner (without removing the roll pin) the best you can once in a while to get rid of the loose stuff. (followed up by a few drops of lube)

Just my opinion I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I got this response from Rock River about it today:

Only if the piston fails to function, which should be rare if it occurs at all.
We have 18000+ rounds through one in which the piston was never cleaned...It has a self-cleaning function, and the pressure release works pretty well at removing the material that it removes from itself.
Thanks..
Steve/RRA
View Quote

So, looks like I don't need to do it that often. On the SCAR, you gotta scrub the hell out of it if it isn't done that often. And, if you leave it in too long, it can be a bear to get out. But with this gun, it seems that I can go longer.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top