BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
For the price I paid.....everything has been perfect and I am not complaining about one thing at all.

The only thing I could nitpick about is that I really want to cut it to 14.5 and also install the original flip up front site if its possible.

Been seeing it here and there and SMGLee used a Airsoft one and he says its working fine but I wanna save my pennies for the real deal or just buck the system and get the HK setups.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought the airsoft front post SMGLee used from VFC. From my picture earlier in the thread you can see it that looks fine and it does work. It doesn't lock up nearly as secure as the real HK product and I bet that will bother alot of folks.

There is the potential that the gas block's mount isn't the same spec as HK, I would like someone to test and verify that the HK version fits and locks up tight before spending over $100 on a German post.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Another Update.  It is not going to arrive until next week due to the damn Easter Bunny.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 1:21:47 AM EDT
[#4]
It will arrive.

I'm kinda giving up on getting that flip up and will just bite the bullet and buy RTG's HK front and rear site setup. It works and it is there.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will arrive.

I'm kinda giving up on getting that flip up and will just bite the bullet and buy RTG's HK front and rear site setup. It works and it is there.

View Quote

It is expected to show up today.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I just sent my money in on Monday. Looks like a good deal
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got it today. But it took like almost a month to get it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Where the pics! Mine will be here the 21st
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:33:23 AM EDT
[#9]
At work now, going to take some time.  I got a screwed up schedule for the time being.

I forgot to add I left a netural but detailed feedback that it is the first company I encountered that had 4 different addresses for one transaction.

1) Hawaiian address that I am pissed about.  2) An Arizona dropbox.  3) An email stating Special Weapons is in AR. and last a mailing addres from MI.

Go figure where the hell the business is actually based out of.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I just sent payment for a14" upper, I sure hope it shows up faster than a month!
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Here is the pic.

This is one of the few uppers that I have do not require any thing to keep the wiggle away.

There is a few imperfections but it is my 416. The clone that is.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Finally got my video to upload this AM. I compare the HK 416 upper to the Titan Defense TD-415 upper. If anyone can embed this video feel free to. Here is the link

https://youtu.be/mEAs_HIcNSY
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#13]
awesome!!!!!! thank you so much Bell.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I got mine a bit ago without a hitch. In fact, I've heard of problems with Todd Bailey, but have had no problems on multiple transactions.

Mbell, thanks for the nice video.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Finally got my video to upload this AM. I compare the HK 416 upper to the Titan Defense TD-415 upper. If anyone can embed this video feel free to. Here is the link

View Quote

Awesome video, as always.

Quick question for you though, have you noticed any difference, after installing the roller pin? I've been on the fence on getting some for my LWRC setups but not sure if they are worth the cash.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quick question for you though, have you noticed any difference, after installing the roller pin? I've been on the fence on getting some for my LWRC setups but not sure if they are worth the cash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can not say that I feel a difference in the way the gun operates but there did seem to be a stabilization in the wear inside the receiver. It just seams to be a good idea in a piston AR15. It does add a moving part to the system, but I have not had one fail yet. I have about 15 of them in various piston guns. They are not that expensive. They are certainly not necessary, but I like them in piston guns. Anything that can reduce friction seems like a good idea, as long as the price is reasonable. Just my thoughts.
mbell556
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#17]
So got mine and this one has issues. There is so much play in the bolt pin that when you try and charge it, it will not unlock from the locking lugs unless you jiggle it and hold it sideways on the left side. Does anybody know if the Adams arms is the same spec? Syrac is different.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Where can you purchase one of these?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So got mine and this one has issues. There is so much play in the bolt pin that when you try and charge it, it will not unlock from the locking lugs unless you jiggle it and hold it sideways on the left side. Does anybody know if the Adams arms is the same spec? Syrac is different.
View Quote

When you say bolt pin, are you talking about the cam pin? If so you might try the POF-USA roller cam pin as discussed in three post above. In the video comparison I show that type of cam pin that I have placed in my HK416 uppers. Changing this out may fix the problem you're describing. You can see in the video below.

mbell556

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Where can you purchase one of these?
View Quote

Gunbroker. Search titan upper. Seller is twta az.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#21]
There is one left

I almost pulled the trigger but he said they built it with parts they scrounged up. That and the fact he is calling it quits made me pass.

Maybe I'll buy a used one someday.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine won't charge reliably either. It sometimes binds up a couple millimeters out of battery. Have you found a solution to this?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I tried a different bolt and it does not hang up anymore I just don't if it is a good idea to fire being it is a std bolt.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#24]
From the pics and videos people have posted it appears the bolt may be interchangeable with the ar15 on the Titan clone. I would headspace it with a gauge and if its in spec, I don't see why it wouldn't work.  I don't have one but been looking to pick one up, and the bolt seems a cheaper replacement vs the HK one if it does work.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I checked mines for the problem the couple of you guys are encountering.  I found that mines does the same thing.  I  changed out the bolt cam pin with a stock one. Put a little lube and it disappeared.  However, I noticed that when I put the dust cover on.  It increases the probability of the jam.  Going to get some POF roller pin to see if that changes the problem.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Used the POF and it went away
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#27]
put about 200 rounds down range today with the TD 415,  no problems. Im happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone cut there Barrel to 10.5" or 11"?  was thinking of doing this. Also can I buy a replacement barrel?
thanks for any info!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#29]
It was stated somewhere that it won't work if its done.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anyone cut there Barrel to 10.5" or 11"?  was thinking of doing this. Also can I buy a replacement barrel?
thanks for any info!
View Quote

My TD415 is so overgassed, I would think that there would be sufficient gas with the shorter dwell time if you cut down to 11.5". Assuming you have a legal SBR or full auto lower to put it on. Worse case you may have to open up the gas port slightly. You already have an unvented gas block like HK uses on their 10.5 HK416 uppers.   I do not think there is a ready source of replacement barrels from the original manufacturer.

mbell556 on Youtube    
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I hope someone tries it and reports back.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I got the pof roller cam. It does a big improvement. I need to take out for a break in.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

When you say bolt pin, are you talking about the cam pin? If so you might try the POF-USA roller cam pin as discussed in three post above. In the video comparison I show that type of cam pin that I have placed in my HK416 uppers. Changing this out may fix the problem you're describing. You can see in the video below.

mbell556

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mbell556

Glad to see the POF-USA roller cam pin is working out for those who have tried it.
mbell556
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It does makes the bolt operate much smoother.  But I can get the bolt to bind from time to time now.  I figure when I get to the range next time.  I figure blast the shit out of the upper and see if it gets broken in.

Glad to see the POF-USA roller cam pin is working out for those who have tried it.
mbell556
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

mbell556

It does makes the bolt operate much smoother.  But I can get the bolt to bind from time to time now.  I figure when I get to the range next time.  I figure blast the shit out of the upper and see if it gets broken in.

mbell556

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm a week late to this thread but we just received two of them this morning.

Here's little background about our range first. We shoot approximately (conservatively) 150,000-175,000 rounds of .223/5.56 from full-auto M16's and SAW's on our range monthly. We had a HK MR556 and it started to key-hole at a little under 10,000 rounds. We keep detailed records of every single weapon in inventory and I was SO pissed that we spent that much money on an HK that only last that long.

I saw these on Gunbroker about 3 weeks ago and figures for the price, we can at least get the correct profile for guests who MUST shoot a "HK 416". We installed the upper on our MR556 and put approximately 400 rounds between staff members getting trigger time on it.

This upper will get used and abused and I am hoping for the best. It won't disappoint me more than the factory upper that failed so quick. I will reply to this post if and when it fails.

V/R
Ron

EDITED:

We have used MANY different uppers with pistons and in fairness to HK, they are the only system that lasted on our range. The other systems didn't key-hole but they all broke well before hitting the 10,000 round mark.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:04:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Do you use brass or steel cased?

Quoted:

Here's little background about our range first. We shoot approximately (conservatively) 150,000-175,000 rounds of .223/5.56 from full-auto M16's and SAW's on our range monthly. We had a HK MR556 and it started to key-hole at a little under 10,000 rounds. We keep detailed records of every single weapon in inventory and I was SO pissed that we spent that much money on an HK that only last that long.

I saw these on Gunbroker about 3 weeks ago and figures for the price, we can at least get the correct profile for guests who MUST shoot a "HK 416". We installed the upper on our MR556 and put approximately 400 rounds between staff members getting trigger time on it.

This upper will get used and abused and I am hoping for the best. It won't disappoint me more than the factory upper that failed so quick. I will reply to this post if and when it fails.

V/R
Ron

EDITED:

We have used MANY different uppers with pistons and in fairness to HK, they are the only system that lasted on our range. The other systems didn't key-hole but they all broke well before hitting the 10,000 round mark.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Have you contacted HK to see about getting the barrel replaced?  

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We never have. I talked about it to a staff member at the HK booth during SHOT Show and it seemed as if he didn't believe me.

On another note, we had person from Germany come and he knew right away that the upper we had on our MR556 wasn't factory. I can't remember if he said is uncle or father (or both) were minority share holders in HK. My RSO told him that upper "was broken" and the customer insisted that my guy must be wrong. After they came off the range my RSO introduced me to the customer and told him that he didn't believe the upper "was broken". I took him back in armory and showed him the complete upper sitting on the rack with other broken parts. He insisted that HK parts wouldn't perform so poorly and that HK makes the best parts. I told him that HK does indeed make wonderful weapons and we have MP5's with hundreds of thousands of rounds through them but the MR556 upper started to keyhole after only 10,000 rounds. He almost didn't believe us but I could tell the guy knew about firearms. We showed him our repair log for that weapon and he almost seemed shocked. He spent a LOT of money with us that day so I had no problem spending time with him. He tipped my RSO very well but we couldn't stop laughing after he left because his face was priceless... like we just kicked his dog.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

V/R
Ron

EDITED:

View Quote

What parts of them broke?  How did the LMT piston hold up?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:We never have. I talked about it to a staff member at the HK booth during SHOT Show and it seemed as if he didn't believe me.
View Quote

In my neighborhood I know about three HK MR223 barrels (same barrel as MR556 uses) that started to keyhole under 10,000 rounds. In two cases barrel was replaced by HK under warranty. In 3rd case (mine) solid cleaning and removing copper was all that was needed. Except of those cases, I know only of one case of HK MR223 barrel "shot out". This took some 23,000 rounds (IIRC). If your barrel went down under 10,000 (non suppressed) rounds - do not talk to sales reps on fairs, file warranty claim with HK
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V/R
Ron

EDITED:

Cam pins on the carrier group, pistons broke and springs snapped. I am not going to give out names for two reasons. First, the manufacturers may have a set method of cleaning and maintenance that they prescribe for proper function. We clean on a more regular basis with cleaners that WE know that work on a day-to-day basis as well as lubricants that WE know work on our weapons. Second, the manufacture may have tested their product under a certain set of testing criteria and it functioned flawlessly for them. We don't have that luxury of shooting X number of rounds in a certain amount of time between cleaning and cooling, etc. When a weapon goes on the line, it's hot all day. It gets lubed in the morning during inspection and at 12:00 for a secondary (and follow-up lubing if a RSO feels the weapon is to dry).

V/R
Ron M Cheney
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Cam pins on the carrier group, pistons broke and springs snapped. I am not going to give out names for two reasons. First, the manufacturers may have a set method of cleaning and maintenance that they prescribe for proper function. We clean on a more regular basis with cleaners that WE know that work on a day-to-day basis as well as lubricants that WE know work on our weapons. Second, the manufacture may have tested their product under a certain set of testing criteria and it functioned flawlessly for them. We don't have that luxury of shooting X number of rounds in a certain amount of time between cleaning and cooling, etc. When a weapon goes on the line, it's hot all day. It gets lubed in the morning during inspection and at 12:00 for a secondary (and follow-up lubing if a RSO feels the weapon is to dry).

V/R
Ron M Cheney
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

V/R
Ron

EDITED:

V/R
Ron M Cheney

I don't really care about all the companies, just how the LMT piston has held up.  Maybe you haven't abused one yet.  I own one and was just curious how it holds up to that much abuse.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#43]
I think he answered you with a very gentleman answer got to respect that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Any updates and anyone get their setup yet?

How is it working out for them?

I'm stuck in Europe but the little time I had with it, it was accurate and reliable to boot.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Any updates and anyone get their setup yet?

How is it working out for them?

I'm stuck in Europe but the little time I had with it, it was accurate and reliable to boot.

View Quote

It's been working fine with zero issues to this point since being on the line. I was kind of skeptical at first because the price was so good on the upper but it's last long than some of the other piston uppers

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:50:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Like others, I'm late to the party.  I bought two of the 14" uppers.  I actually pulled the flash hider and measured the barrels.  My barrels are actually around 14-3/8".  So if I permanently install a thread mount for my AAC M47-2000 can, the barrel will be over 16".  But the barrels are just stainless steel barrels.  My understanding is a nitrided CHF barrel or a chrome lined steel barrel will last over double what a standard steel or stainless steel barrel would.  I want to get more mileage out of these uppers.

On HK Pro there is a smith doing HK 416/MR556 barrel work.  His name is Marvin Pitts.  His email is [email protected] if anyone is interested.  He has done some barrel replacement  using a Daniel Defense SW2  CHF 18" mid length barrel https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/18-5-56mm-s2wr-rifle-length-chf-barrel.html that he said he can get as much as a 13" barrel from the DD barrel.  As has been said before, the gas port of the Titan/HK barrels is in a different location as a standard AR barrel.  He said that he knows of no source for CHF barrel blanks to make new HK/Titan type barrels.

I did write to Todd about shortening a 14" upper to 10".  He said that shortening a 14" to a 10" would not work as the gas port in the 10" is actually smaller than the gas port for a 14".  Most every other barrel shortening job I have had done, the shorter barrel needed a larger gas port.  I don't know why the Titan 10" barrel has a smaller port.  I have placed an order for two 10" Titan uppers.  My plan is to send all the uppers to Marvin.  He said he can strip them down and have the barrels Nitrided.  Nitriding the barrels should harden the bore to get more mileage out of the barrels.

For something different, I was thinking about what it would take to replace a barrel on a one of the uppers to make a 10" 7.62X39 piston upper.  Of course the port location of a standard AR 7.62X39 barrel won't lend itself to use with the Titan piston system.  But wouldn't that be cool?  I asked when I ordered the two 10" uppers if they had any iron sights available.  Nikki said "no" and referred me to HK parts.  I had posted another thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_9/444260_Titan_415_Sights.html about Titan iron sights.  According to that thread there is a 0.065" height over bore difference from a Titan upper higher than a HK upper.  It is also my understanding that the Titan gas block is an exact copy of the HK gas block.  So I could use the HK flip up front sight.  Then I could buy a HK rear sight and weld a steel base that came with a MP5 rear sight on a MP5 rear receiver stub, onto a steel quick release short rail that is 0.065" lower than the standard HK 416 rear sight.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I did write to Todd about shortening a 14" upper to 10".  He said that shortening a 14" to a 10" would not work as the gas port in the 10" is actually smaller than the gas port for a 14".  
View Quote

On original HK barrel gas port is same size on all barrel lengths (10.4", 14.5", 16.5" and 20"). However what is different in 10.4" is gas block. Older style gas block has no gas vent port in front. Newer style gas blocks has vent port significantly smaller than longer barrel versions.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
On original HK barrel gas port is same size on all barrel lengths (10.4", 14.5", 16.5" and 20"). However what is different in 10.4" is gas block. Older style gas block has no gas vent port in front. Newer style gas blocks has vent port significantly smaller than longer barrel versions.
View Quote

But the Titan uppers are a sort of copy of a 416.  Unlike the roller lock platform, I'm guessing the 416 platform has some parts that are patented.  The rail height is different (0.065" taller), the piston is different No gas rings and is not chromed), and the upper receiver and barrel nut is different (the thread is English standard instead of metric) on the Titan from the HK.  I have two 14" uppers and I just ordered two 10" uppers.  I have less than $3,000 in all four uppers.   I doubt if I could find one 416 upper for less than $3,000.  But I do need to deal with those differences.  YMMV.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:44:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

But the Titan uppers are a sort of copy of a 416.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the Titan uppers are a sort of copy of a 416.

And this is what I wrote about: original HK416.

Roller locked rifles obviously do not have any sort of gas port or gas block. Have they? ;)
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top