Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2014 1:56:41 AM EDT
Firstly, my account is still held as a "new member" so this will take multiple posts as I'm only authorized 2,000 characters. (Mods, please help?!)

Secondly, this is an installation review. It is purely based on my experience with my barrel, receiver, and rail. So your experiences may vary.

Thirdly, I am in no way affiliated with Syrac Ordnance.

I installed this conversion kit on my Mega Arms barrel, Gibbz G4 side charging receiver, and with a BCM KMR rail.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:57:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The installation process was very tedious. I followed the instructions as closely as possible but I had to do some very minor modifications to the system in order to get it functioning properly. Every piece is really nicely made. Nice smooth edges, no burrs or anything of the sort. There was one very minor thing that I had to fix but I will talk about that in a second.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:57:50 AM EDT
[#2]
The gas block fit very well on my Mega Arms barrel. After aligning it as best I could eyeball, I got the measurement from the barrel to the top of the gas block which I wish would have been provided by Syrac. I know it's a little crooked but it measures to .610.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:58:24 AM EDT
[#3]
After going through all the steps to install the piston rod and get it aligned, I found that there was absolutely nothing I could do to keep it from binding. I found that the binding was in the gas block itself and not related to it's angle going to the receiver. So I finally measured the head on the rod inside the gas block and found that it had a couple high spots. About a .01~.02 inch difference. So I decided to sand it down just a tad and it works like a charm now! Mind you, it only took the tiniest bit of sanding. Just enough to get the high spots down.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:59:00 AM EDT
[#4]

After that everything seems to fit just fine. There’s zero binding, the spring seems to be doing it’s job, and the gas adjustment screws functions properly.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:59:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Now as far as fitting it to your rail… Depending on what rail you use you will have to be very careful with the rotation of the gas block. Being off even by the slightest bit can force it to have contact with the rail. Although the piston rod will not contact, the gas block may sit against it thereby keeping your rail from seating properly and possibly throwing off your sights.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:00:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Here are some photos of the fit with my BCM KMR.

As soo nas I get out and shoot it I will let you know how it functions! But as you can see, it’s a build in progress.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:00:28 AM EDT
[#7]
WOW! That looks awesome! MUCH more streamlined than AA systems (and LOVE the "captured" spring idea). Looks VERY well machined. Keep us posted on this!
ETA: this looks like the best of other piston systems. Take the CMMG "captured return spring", make it low pro like the AA "XLP", and keep it simple like an Osprey. Works for me! Although I could do without the adjustable gas feature.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Sweet! Will it fit under Magpul HGs?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet! Will it fit under Magpul HGs?
View Quote

It's not in their compatibility chart. If it's a free float system there is a chance though.

Check out their thread.

Syrac Piston Conversion
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:09:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Syrac formed by one of the original engineers who developed the Adams piston kit?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:51:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Syrac formed by one of the original engineers who developed the Adams piston kit?
View Quote

You are correct. Jason Adams owns Syrac Ordnance.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#12]
excellent review, I am looking at building a bcm kmr 12.5 gun, now I know what direction to take
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm really interested in this design and hope it turns out to be a winner. My usual wait time on new products is twelve months but I'm going to cut it to 6 on this one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I ordered a Syrac piston kit and have a 10" KMR on my AR, any update on how your build is running.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice build
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Ordered mine from Brownells a while ago.  Still on Backorder.  Are they shipping yet?
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top