Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2014 12:39:47 AM EDT
12/17 - UPDATE:    SOLVED...see my final post.

Thanks to all who replied.

Just purchased my first SBR in 300 AAC, and it happens to be a piston system from PWS.  I shot two boxes of ammo through it, and upon cleaning I noticed all this copper-colored shit all over the place inside the weapon.  It seemed to collect heavily on the very end of this piece (piston?)...

photo was taken AFTER cleaning it...it was worse than this.

In case you cant tell what that is from the photo above, its THIS thing...

I've never owned a piston-driven AR before, but I've never seen any of my other weapons do this,,so I'm wondering...IS THIS NORMAL??  
If not, is this cause for concern?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

`
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Not normal.  Looks like the piston is rubbing against the bore in the gas block.  Look there to see if you have any excessive wear marks.  If so contact the manufacturer for a fix/replacement.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not normal.  Looks like the piston is rubbing against the bore in the gas block.  Look there to see if you have any excessive wear marks.  If so contact the manufacturer for a fix/replacement.
View Quote

Look WHERE??  I dont know what that is!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#3]
New barrels do that for a few hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
My wasr3 and FAL with new barrels shed copper for a few mags.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Inside of the gas block where the piston resides and the regulator.  See if there is excessive wear.  If not its must be the normal break in wear and should stop after a couple cleanings.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Inside of the gas block where the piston resides and the regulator.  See if there is excessive wear.  If not its must be the normal break in wear and should stop after a couple cleanings.
View Quote

Will I have to remove the handguard to visualize what youre talking about?  Also, how does one recognize "excessive wear"?

I know just enough about gunsmithing to fuck something up!! These new-fangled handguards are a far cry from the plastic ones on my M16-A1 (issued by the USMC)!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:50:30 AM EDT
[#7]
If you see a grove or the wear in only one area you have something out of alignment and its causing excessive wear where its contacting the other part.  If you have even wear through out the piston chamber and/or piston then your have a normal break in wear.   From you photo is seems as though you have a lot more wear than expected.

You should send your photo to the manufacturer since the have the expertise to diagnose the cause and solution.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you see a grove or the wear in only one area you have something out of alignment and its causing excessive wear where its contacting the other part.  If you have even wear through out the piston chamber and/or piston then your have a normal break in wear.   From you photo is seems as though you have a lot more wear than expected.

You should send your photo to the manufacturer since the have the expertise to diagnose the cause and solution.
View Quote

Well I dont see "wear" on the piston...just a bunch of copper crap all over the end of it.  The metal underneath looks fine to me, but I'm no expert.  However, I forwarded a copy of the photo to PWS Customer Support.  Hopefully they'll get back to me soon.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't see any wear on your piston, just copper buildup.

ETA:  Just found this.  Looks to be normal for a PWS 300 BLK SBR:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/tyler-kee/gun-review-pws-mk-109/
"However, when I it came to the business end of the piston system, I was shocked at all the crud I found.

I assumed that I was dealing with some baked-on carbon, not unexpected given the operating conditions. But after much soaking and scrubbing with KG1, I found a much more insidious buildup of copper. Lots of it.

I’ll leave it up to our gunsmiths and technical wizards to tell me how that much copper accumulated on the end of the piston, but what I can tell you is that 20 minutes later, panting from exertion (mostly joking), I had finally managed to scrape away the copper leaving a clean piston. If you buy a MK109, I’d suggest you keep tabs on the end of the piston to see what your buildup looks like. It never seemed to affect the function of the gun, but it was certainly an oddity of sorts."
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#10]
First off the piston and the gas block has nothing to do with this. How does the piston and gas block which has a nitride finish cause copper fouling (lol) .   The gas port that is drilled in the barrel has extra material on the backside hole . The bullet is scraping against the port  that cause the material to get pushed up into the gas block which is ending up on your piston .  (I have has this before on PWS and POF rifles).

This will go away after a few hundred rounds of shooting . If it doesn't it means the port has a really big burr and it needs to fixed or replaced.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
First off the piston and the gas block has nothing to do with this. How does the piston and gas block which has a nitride finish cause copper fouling (lol) .   The gas port that is drilled in the barrel has extra material on the backside hole . The bullet is scraping against the port  that cause the material to get pushed up into the gas block which is ending up on your piston .  (I have has this before on PWS and POF rifles).

This will go away after a few hundred rounds of shooting . If it doesn't it means the port has a really big burr and it needs to fixed or replaced.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't see any wear on your piston, just copper buildup.

ETA:  Just found this.  Looks to be normal for a PWS 300 BLK SBR:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/tyler-kee/gun-review-pws-mk-109/
"However, when I it came to the business end of the piston system, I was shocked at all the crud I found.

I assumed that I was dealing with some baked-on carbon, not unexpected given the operating conditions. But after much soaking and scrubbing with KG1, I found a much more insidious buildup of copper. Lots of it.

I’ll leave it up to our gunsmiths and technical wizards to tell me how that much copper accumulated on the end of the piston, but what I can tell you is that 20 minutes later, panting from exertion (mostly joking), I had finally managed to scrape away the copper leaving a clean piston. If you buy a MK109, I’d suggest you keep tabs on the end of the piston to see what your buildup looks like. It never seemed to affect the function of the gun, but it was certainly an oddity of sorts."

THANK YOU, GENTLEMEN...GOOD TO KNOW!! (sort of...breaking out the KG 12)

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Received THIS...

Primary Weapons Systems (via email):

That is copper build up likely from the Isonite break in when your rifle was new.  It can be cleaned off but the copper solvent has to be allowed to work for a while and you may need something stronger such as Sweets 7.62 or another strong copper solvent.    As your barrel breaks in it will lessen and likely go away, but this can take a few hundred rounds due to the extreme hardness of the surface.

It is odd, we've only seen it in about 10 out of 5,000 uppers and rifles this year and it has gone away thus far in all reported instances.

Please let us know if this helps and we will assist you any way we can.

PWS Customer Service
[email protected]
Ph: 208.780.6122
Fa:  208.297.2675
www.primaryweapons.com
View Quote

Sure enough, after a soak overnight in KG 12, and a light buffing...

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Good to see.  Considering that it's melonite (Isonite QPQ, etc), wonder if it'll probably take more than a few hundred rounds to break in the rough spots.

Either way, at least it's normal.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top