Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2014 8:02:54 AM EDT
I built my first ar decided to go with adams arms. Turned out great matches perfectly tight with my stripped stags arms lower that i used. i have never felt a ar that matches this good. I had alot of trouble with the first 100 rounds. it would eject the case but wouldn't pick up the next round. after the first 100 round it was working a lot better but still some trouble. i noticed some wear wear the cam pin locks in so i swapped it with a pof roller cam pin. after that 1500 rounds through it no trouble. is this normal with aa.
http://i59.tinypic.com/2jfd5k1.jpg
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd contact AA about that.  Your upper should have worked right out of the box.  Did you lube it properly?  (just asking)  As far as the cam pin wear, don't sweat that, it's normal.  It will wear it's little groove and then be done.  The roller cam pin is nice, but it fixed a problem that really didn't need fixing IMO.  I hope this helps ya out some.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#2]
it only did it first 100rds so i think it had a break in period
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#3]
According to many interweb posts, The AA Rifles do need a break in period. It is probably a good idea to break in with mil spec ammo M193 or 855. The shooter should have a better experience. I'd also be running lubed more than usual for break in.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Never had any issues at all with either of my 11.5" uppers.  They've run fine from day one with both brass and steel.

If yours us running well now, with only 100 or so rounds through it, then I wouldn't sweat it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
1200+ rounds here and running like a champ.  As stated above the cam pin wear is normal and you should see some metal shavings in the upper as it wears in.  The short stroking is most likely due to the added resistance of the cam pin removing aluminum.  This is why you're noticing the improvement.  I would recommend you ditch that POF roller pin and let the pin carve it's channel.  It's just a gimmick, the wear needs to be there.  Mine took about 500 rounds until I stopped seeing shavings.  Break-in = shoot it as much as you can and report back the findings.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Some of the uppers on the market aren't clearanced enough to accommodate the cam pin.  It will eventually do the job itself and it doesn't hurt anything.  Common with piston systems.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:38:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would recommend you ditch that POF roller pin and let the pin carve it's channel.  It's just a gimmick...
View Quote

Hardly.  I've had the POF roller cam pin in mine since day one and I've never had any metal shavings resulting from cam pin gouge in the upper.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:48:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I built my first ar decided to go with adams arms. Turned out great matches perfectly tight with my stripped stags arms lower that i used. i have never felt a ar that matches this good. I had alot of trouble with the first 100 rounds. it would eject the case but wouldn't pick up the next round. after the first 100 round it was working a lot better but still some trouble. i noticed some wear wear the cam pin locks in so i swapped it with a pof roller cam pin. after that 1500 rounds through it no trouble. is this normal with aa.
View Quote

What ammo were you running?
How WET with lube was it?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:00:26 AM EDT
[#9]
It was just as wet with lube as I run any other of my ars. And the ammo was a big mix of stuff from hornandy to American eagle to my reloads all stuff I never had any trouble with in my colt and saiga
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, a majority of the AA/Huldra post I come across report hiccups during break-in lasting until ~300 rounds.
If you still find issues after 300 round mark (Wolf / Tula ammo aside), definitely time to give AA a call about an return/exchange.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a factory AA middy upper which required about 300 rounds to reliably function with all ammo (low powered steel was the culprit). But now it's DEFINITELY 100% (at 400 rounds). However, I also built an AA piston kit with voodoo barrel and PSA upper receiver and that one worked 100% with ALL ammo since first shot.
Also, ironically, the factory upper experienced MORE cam pin wear even though that one has the "relief cut". My PSA upper build does not and have not experienced ANY cam pin wear with that set up.
Tolerances vary, even with their factory built uppers. Some are GTG out of the box, and some require a couple hundred to "settle in". It sucks when you have to burn off a few hundred rounds of your own ammo (and constantly clearing FTE/FTF's) just to make it reliable... but they usually get their (if not right out of the box). If, after a couple hundred rounds it still doesn't work right, I'd definitely let AA know.
I love mine. They are my "go to" for range use, as it's a 10 minute cleaning afterwards. The DI is relegated to safe duty, as it's an hour clean for me (I'm anal about cleaning) and messy.
Enjoy your AA set up, you're going to love it!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I did not have any issue with a mid carbine AA piston.  Did put in a anti tilt buffer and wolf spring.  No wear marks on the BCG with a  thousand rounds that I notice.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top