Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 7:00:53 PM EDT

which would be your pic for top 3 most reliable piston uppers/guns  ?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I only have 4 but think they are all pretty good. (Adam Arms, POF, CMMG, Sig). I don't have that much experience shooting all of them but I was very impressed with the CMMG. Very accurate.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]
LWRC...HK...Barrett
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You didn't specify AR type... so I'll say AKM/47 variant
Next on my list would be a Sig556 (also AK style action)
Next on my list would be Faxon Arak

See where I'm going with this?

I have an AA middy piston, and while I love it.. it's still a "conversion" style (uses a DI length bcg and buffer/spring. Both of which are completely unnecessary for a true piston design. Mechanically, the AR is not designed to function as a piston, even when converted).

As for "AR" piston types... I'd bet most would do the job, but I'd still opt for a non AR type piston setup.
I've not beaten the hell out any of my rifles, so it's just my .02 opinion.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
LWRC, LMT, Barrett.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:12:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You didn't specify AR type... so I'll say AKM/47 variant
Next on my list would be a Sig556 (also AK style action)
Next on my list would be Faxon Arak

See where I'm going with this?

I have an AA middy piston, and while I love it.. it's still a "conversion" style (uses a DI length bcg and buffer/spring. Both of which are completely unnecessary for a true piston design. Mechanically, the AR is not designed to function as a piston, even when converted).

As for "AR" piston types... I'd bet most would do the job, but I'd still opt for a non AR type piston setup.
I've not beaten the hell out any of my rifles, so it's just my .02 opinion.
View Quote

I had a sig 556/551 clone, sold it to do the ar I currently have and ya  that thing just ran all day long, seemed like no amount of dirt or any thing could or would shut the gun down, but heavy as hell
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had several an HK-SL-8-6/ G36 convert Very nice and very accurate, an FN SCAR meh ran good but not very accurate and barrel got too hot too quick... a POF 415 VERY NICE and very accurate.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Ruger sr556 ruger sr762 ak47
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I like my Ruger. Runs like a champ.

But if I had money I'd take a look at LMT, PWS or the FN SCAR.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]
My all time never fail is my G36/Sl8.  The mags are just too good.  The VZ58 is great.  I've also had nearly no issues with my AA rifles, usually me too lazy to give the mag a nice tap.  My SCAR 16 and LWRCs are too new to tell,, but I expect good things. Of them all I've freed up a few hours not cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#10]
SIG 556 SWAT.

Its never missed a beat 3000+ rounds and counting.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]

ya I would love an sl8/g36 to go with my ump clone, but fuck the price ....  I have an adams arms and in all honesty its just pissing me off, so I am going to look around and buy something else and ditch it... might grab a DD mk18 or something
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
SIG 556 SWAT.

View Quote

I LOVE the Sig 556 SWAT. I wish I had bought that instead of my AA. I've grown tired of the piston "conversion" AR's and want to go back to original piston designs. IMHO, the Sig 556 is the best marriage between AK type action and AR type ergo's (with a tie for Faxon Arak, but I'm not a fan of "non reciprocating" charging handles. IMO, it's silly to have a separate CH, FA, and bolt, when one combined unit can do all three functions).  It's a shame it didn't catch on very well, but I guess no "cross breed" ever will, as there are too many purists on each side. Hopefully they'll have better luck marketing the Xi and older (gen II) Sig 556 will show up cheap!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#13]
PWS, one of the best there is.
- Accurate, shot sub MOA with 77gr SMK out to 450 yards
- Light, weighs about the same as my DI guns
- Low recoil, same as a DI
- Reliable, I've put close to 9000 rounds through mine over the last year, cleaned it twice. It shoots like new.
- Eats everything, no problems.

Shot some LWRC and POF ARs, nice guns but I prefer the PWS.

PS. Only mod I did was drop in a Geissle SSA-E trigger and Magpul CTR stock with Larure RISR
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

ya I would love an sl8/g36 to go with my ump clone, but fuck the price ....  I have an adams arms and in all honesty its just pissing me off, so I am going to look around and buy something else and ditch it... might grab a DD mk18 or something
View Quote

Mind if I ask what is pissing you off about it? I've personally never shot an Adams Arms conversion(or factory) piston setup but their customer service appears to be good and most of the people I've talked to love theirs. Simply curious to see what issues you're having.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I LOVE the Sig 556 SWAT. I wish I had bought that instead of my AA. I've grown tired of the piston "conversion" AR's and want to go back to original piston designs. IMHO, the Sig 556 is the best marriage between AK type action and AR type ergo's (with a tie for Faxon Arak, but I'm not a fan of "non reciprocating" charging handles. IMO, it's silly to have a separate CH, FA, and bolt, when one combined unit can do all three functions).  It's a shame it didn't catch on very well, but I guess no "cross breed" ever will, as there are too many purists on each side. Hopefully they'll have better luck marketing the Xi and older (gen II) Sig 556 will show up cheap!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SIG 556 SWAT.

Not sure if purists are to blame for that or simply parts availability. A lot of people love the traditional AR/AK setups because of how easy it is to fine backup parts and modifications. The hybrid systems represent issues of not being able to simply buy any bolt from any vendor and if something goes wrong, requires the owner to send in for repairs.

I'm still not even sure the ratio of external piston AR15 sales vs DI(internal piston), to see if the external pistons are even catching on. I know numerous individuals whom refuse to buy the external setup as it requires some parts that are not standard with the DI setup.

I just recently got into the external game myself with an LWRC and have had no issues with it but let's see what the future holds. I do like the PWS long stroke setup too, seems to be rather well laid out and thought up.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Mind if I ask what is pissing you off about it? I've personally never shot an Adams Arms conversion(or factory) piston setup but their customer service appears to be good and most of the people I've talked to love theirs. Simply curious to see what issues you're having.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well my buddy has a knights 12.5 e3 ( I think that's what they are called )  and when I shoot the thing it just feels great, I just shot my aa tonight with the specwar-556 and it just feels totally weird, recoils weird ( I do have a heavy buffer in around 5oz )  idk maybe its just me
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#17]
1. P
2. W
3. S

mk116mod1.

add on Rainer Arms Raptor, some KAC micros, then spray with oldspice. (Dont really spray with oldspice...)

only Then, will you join the confident side... and never again wonder "whats the best piston rifle?"
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#18]
POF
LWRC
ADAMS ARMS
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#19]
HK

LWRC

POF
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#20]
LWRC, PWS, LMT
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:31:59 AM EDT
[#21]
LWRC, HK and Noveske. LMT & POF are right in there as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#22]
LMT is the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Sig 516 I have two of them run sweet ALL the time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Had five LMT MRP's. Nice and reliable but heavy as hell. Sold 3 out of 5 so far.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#25]
If we are talking about piston AR's this is my experience:

1. LWRC (I've had no issues with mine and it not only does everything I need it to do but it excels at everything I need it to do.)
2. ADCOR (No really based off how it's designed I have to say I'd take it into battle with no afterthoughts of reliability.)
3. PWS (Another brand I have shot that I've never had to worry about from the standpoint of reliability.)
4. HK
5. LMT
6. Barret
7. Ruger
8. POF
9. RRA
10. Aftermarket kits

In reality I could rely on all of them to get the job done for me and would have no qualms about using any of them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Top 3 piston AR's that I can attest to, and have used enough that I would bet my life on:

1) PWS

2) LWRC

3) HK 416
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not entering this dick measuring contest unless Kate Beckensale is doing the measuring

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
LWRC, PWS, LMT
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I can only comment based on experience with 2.  Ruger SR556 and AA5.45.

I've run the Ruger pretty hard a couple times; with the exception of hating silver bear, it has been great.

I haven't run the AA's as hard, but so far so good.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I've heard no mention of the Colt 6940p. I shot my buddies and it was really accurate at 100.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LWRC, PWS, LMT

This

But Reversed
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#33]
LWRC (never had one but i have never heard a bad thing)

ADCOR (have one, some of the best customer service you will find ontop of a great gun)

I would say HK but the price is out of this world so i will say SIG 416
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I love my Steyr Aug.  About a pound heavier than a comparable AR, but its a nice compact 20" rifle that I have yet to have a malfunction with.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#35]
1. LWRCi

2. LMT

3. POF
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#36]
My only experiences I have had, I will list in my order of trusting with my life. All excellent. Never had a problem with any.

1. AK47
2. PWS Mk114
3. SIG716
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#37]
colt
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#38]
My CMMG has been 100% for the last 7 years as a patrol rifle.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LWRC, PWS, LMT

This

L'dub has been my favorite for a couple years. I think I might get another PWS next, or maybe another DD or KAC.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#40]
isn't sig 516 and LWRC the same?
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top