Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 8:52:45 AM EDT
are there any Bolt cam options other than roller cam for preventing receiver ware?

not that i have a problem with the roller cam 3k and still running but are there any 1 pc options out there?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
are there any Bolt cam options other than roller cam for preventing receiver ware?

not that i have a problem with the roller cam 3k and still running but are there any 1 pc options out there?
View Quote

Cam Pin wear is a non-issue.  If you have a pattern develop it will typically start and stop in the first 1000 rounds on a piston rifle.  I have even seen it on DI guns with a high round count (excess of 10,000) as well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Bolt spring, to help bolt head alignment. Pmags that are not overloaded, to keep the rounds easily strippable. Rounded bolt head lugs (Hk style), to easily overcome slight bolt head misalignment.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rounded bolt head lugs (Hk style), to easily overcome slight bolt head misalignment.
View Quote

http://srcarms.com/wordpress/?page_id=7
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking about this very topic. My AA has dug a groove, but has ceased and functions fine. However... it has me thinking... since the cam pin rotates the bolt, if a groove happens in the upper, would this mean that the lugs are not as cleanly disengaging the barrel extension as quickly?... thus maybe causing more drag/wear on the bolt lugs?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:16:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was thinking about this very topic. My AA has dug a groove, but has ceased and functions fine. However... it has me thinking... since the cam pin rotates the bolt, if a groove happens in the upper, would this mean that the lugs are not as cleanly disengaging the barrel extension as quickly?... thus maybe causing more drag/wear on the bolt lugs?
View Quote

Yes. The rear of the bolt lugs are dragging slightly on the front of the lugs on the barrel extension in a piston rifle. The spring added to the tail of the bolt is supposed to help a little.
In a DI setup, the gas is actually pushing/holding the bolt forward at the same time it pushes the carrier rearward causing everything to line up properly before retracting the bolt carrier assembly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rounded bolt head lugs (Hk style), to easily overcome slight bolt head misalignment.

http://srcarms.com/wordpress/?page_id=7

Pricey.  Do these things really work
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#7]
didn't a company come out with a rounded carrier cam pin that prevents receiver ware
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:25:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Colt now has the metal plate in the 6940/6940P rifles to prevent this. Not sure if its on any other models
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine haven't worn, but how about a little dremel work on the offending part? I'm just cheap that way.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't understand the issue OP. Cam pin wear will occur in about every AR/M4/M16. It is fine and nothing to worry about. The rifle will still function it is merely cosmetic.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't understand the issue OP. Cam pin wear will occur in about every AR/M4/M16. It is fine and nothing to worry about. The rifle will still function it is merely cosmetic.
View Quote

maybe cause i just don't want the accelerated  ware or aluminum shavings getting in my barrel.
I have personally seen the receiver ware caused by the piston upper and i have seen how a roller cam prevented it.
but i personally prefer less pcs . I am looking at the improved LRCW cam but it has a $8.95 shipping charge so i am hoping to find a vender that sales it  for lower cost shipping or has parts other parts i may want to by to offset the shipping cost.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

maybe cause i just don't want the accelerated  ware or aluminum shavings getting in my barrel.
I have personally seen the receiver ware caused by the piston upper and i have seen how a roller cam prevented it.
but i personally prefer less pcs . I am looking at the improved LRCW cam but it has a $8.95 shipping charge so i am hoping to find a vender that sales it  for lower cost shipping or has parts other parts i may want to by to offset the shipping cost.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know how much they (POF roller cam) go for, but Amazon has them for $31+ free shipping.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:03:22 AM EDT
[#13]
If your bolt head alignment isn't good and if your mags aren't easily strippable, you'll get that wear even with a roller cam pin. That said, if they are good, you won't get much if any wear even using the standard cam pin.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please show me how aluminum shavings are getting into your barrel because I don't believe you. If you clean your rifle after you shoot it even if it did occur it would be a non issue. Eventually the wear would stop at some point. I've shot M16's that are older than me and I've seen no degradation in accuracy. I am still in the mind you are fretting over cosmetics and if that's your prerogative then whatever.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#15]
You are applying a moment to the BCG, skies or not - there will be wear on the receiver, bolt head and, extension lugs.  It is inherit to the piston AR design.  Honestly, the OP will need to accept that it's normal for these rifles or sell it because there is no way to avoid it.  Look at the 6000 rnd HK on Montrala's and you will see all of the above.  I was concerned about the bolt lug to receiver extension wear at first but it hasn't increased after initial break in ( a 1080 rnd case of 7N6).  Not to be rude, I live with OCD.  I understand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#16]
As far as i know the roller cam is the best option. I've seen people replace them on a lot of riles with great success. I've heard of people throwing them on DI guns too
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Just to be clear all ARs exibit this wear , even DI systems.
The roller cam pin may have less friction but it still wears on the upper receiver.

The best fix is to remove some material off of the standard cam pin on the side facing the upper receiver.
However this wear is not detrimental and will stop after a few hundred to a few thousand rounds.

Go enjoy your weapons and don't worry about it

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]
If you can get an LWRC advanced cam pin. I have that plus an advanced combat bolt and an Adams arms bolt spring. Minimal wear in my ic. I also suggest removing the gas rings to reduce friction.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you can get an LWRC advanced cam pin. I have that plus an advanced combat bolt and an Adams arms bolt spring. Minimal wear in my ic.
View Quote

Bingo, The answer I was looking for.

so is LWRC the only place that sales them?  I would like to find a place that sales other generic ar15 parts to combine shipping on one order

Thanks

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you can get an LWRC advanced cam pin. I have that plus an advanced combat bolt and an Adams arms bolt spring. Minimal wear in my ic. I also suggest removing the gas rings to reduce friction.
View Quote

Other people say to leave the rings in place as they are supposed to help keep the bolt tighter inside the carrier and keep it from being as "floppy."

Regarding the bolt spring, PWS uses a spring in their system but Stacey told me it was just to make the rifle easier to put back together and wasn't anything that helped with cam pin gouge.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Ruger SR-556C with a POF roller cam pin.  This picture was taken with 5,000 rounds fired.

Link Posted: 6/21/2014 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Colt now has the metal plate in the 6940/6940P rifles to prevent this. Not sure if its on any other models
View Quote

Wait.....my current aluminum upper isn't made of metal?

The cam pin wears a chamfer between the clearance cut and the main race, I don't think it's anything but cosmetic.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 4:31:59 AM EDT
[#23]
There is always this solution of adding relief cut to upper receiver:

Picture taken after roughly 6000 rounds. Visible patch of wear is only removed anodizing, I did not feel any material removed (using my Finger Sensor 1.0).
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#24]
AA already comes with a "relief cut" and still gouges the heck out of the receiver.

This is after only 300 rounds. It has slowed/ceased since that, but still hard to look at.

The more I learn about piston AR's, the less I'm impressed with them (and have since added a DI to the stable). No matter how you slice it, a piston AR will place ALL of the recoil force on the front lugs of the barrel extension. A DI PUSHES the bolt forward. As the pressure is still FORWARD on the bolt, with the BCG starting to move backward, THEN it unlocks/turns the bolt (which is why DI's get minimal wear there). However, a piston AR just slams back (no forward pressure on the bolt, and yes, an AA bolt spring is useless as it's nowhere near the pressure of DI's gas) and rips the bolt back, causing it to twist to clear the barrel lugs and then slamming the cam pin into the cutout edge to finish aligning (completing twist) the bolt. The parts may have proven to be able to handle this, but it's NOT a proper way for a rifle action to operate. It took me a while to understand, but now I understand why people say "if you want a piston setup, get one that's been DESIGNED as one from the start". "Conversions systems" may work, but I no longer would trust my life to one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#25]
No gouging or carrier tilt in my osprey416.On an osprey system the carrier and bolt disengage the extension lugs under their own weight so theres no drag or "ripping" of the bolt lugs from the extension lugs.You can tell how much lug resistence youll get by taking off your upper and angling up see if the bolt falls away from the extension under its own weight and gravity if not you have resistance.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 3:17:01 AM EDT
[#26]
That cam pin wear occurs when the bolt is NOT in battery. Take your bolt group out and align it next to the receiver to see what I mean. That wear occurs due to misalignment between the bolt head and extension when chambering rounds.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No gouging or carrier tilt in my osprey416.On an osprey system the carrier and bolt disengage the extension lugs under their own weight so theres no drag or "ripping" of the bolt lugs from the extension lugs.You can tell how much lug resistence youll get by taking off your upper and angling up see if the bolt falls away from the extension under its own weight and gravity if not you have resistance.
View Quote

Except slow gravity is a far cry from the force of a piston rod. In a DI AR, they oppose (bolt is pressured FORWARD, while the bcg is pressured backward). This opposite pressure extends the bolt out fully, thus the cam pin is in alignment before it ever passes the cut out. Not so with a piston, as there is no forward pressure on the bolt to fully extend it (which is why most piston AR's smack the cam pin at the edge of the cutout). Since a DI pushes the bolt forward as it turns, it does not drag on the lugs. Piston AR's cannot do this, thus there IS dragging on the lugs.
Fortunately, they are built strong enough to seemingly endure it, but it is beyond what the stresses those parts were designed to endure.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top