BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Just selling the upper is not a bad idea. I need to get me one of those bags though :x
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just selling the upper is not a bad idea. I need to get me one of those bags though :x
View Quote

Does the upper come with a case?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The upper will include everything you get with the rifle minus the complete lower.  This means you'll get the soft case, the owner's manual and three magazines.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks...sounds like a good deal.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:32:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Well here's mine. It's gone through a few changes over the past couple of years.
" />
" />
Went from similar configurations like that to this...
" />
" />
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice rifle emerica
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Marine air, what buffer are you using?
And thank you 38superfan
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Video with me holding my phone in one hand and trying to shoot the rifle straight in the other.
[youtube][/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:00:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Try using a rubber band to strap the phone to your forehead and then shoot. It works.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Edit - misread

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Good info so far...
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone know what buffer weight comes with the rifle?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does anyone know what buffer weight comes with the rifle?
View Quote

Unmarked 3.0 ounce.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#14]
So I have put a thousand steel rounds through the rifle. All steel Tula rounds. I had one issue, but it came from weak ammo and not the rifle. It took all the ammo like a champ. Just fyi in case anyone is looking to shoot the cheaper ammo.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Here's a couple more close up pictures...

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Are the buttstock tubes on the 556s mil-spec size or commercial size?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

MILSPEC

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:21:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So I have put a thousand steel rounds through the rifle. All steel Tula rounds. I had one issue, but it came from week ammo and not the rifle. It took all the ammo like a champ. Just fyi in case anyone is looking to shoot the cheaper ammo.
View Quote

Great to know...THANKS.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#19]
@ MEDIC: What is that padlock supposed to do? Where does it go?  I got some sort of horrible contraption that locks around the magwell.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I think that you are supposed to have the dust cover open, bolt back and slide the big “U” shaped thing (still in the box) through the opening and out through the mag well and lock it with the lock.
I never attempted it.  
I do not like the locking system.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

MILSPEC

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MILSPEC

Thats what I was told...(Milspec).
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think that you are supposed to have the dust cover open, bolt back and slide the big “U” shaped thing (still in the box) through the opening and out through the mag well and lock it with the lock.
I never attempted it.  
View Quote

AH!  Now that you mention it, I got the same thing; still in the box.  And the box is in the garage.  But I think I got a more realistic (smaller) padlock.  Why couldn't they just put in a little cable lock?  I know Ruger has had some experience with litigation, but damn... you could padlock a meat freezer with that lock!
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

AH!  Now that you mention it, I got the same thing; still in the box.  And the box is in the garage.  But I think I got a more realistic (smaller) padlock.  Why couldn't they just put in a little cable lock?  I know Ruger has had some experience with litigation, but damn... you could padlock a meat freezer with that lock!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never attempted it.  

Maybe if it were rubber coated.  I think that thing would damage the finnish on the rec'er.  It sure looks like it would work but I'm not going to use it.  

Oh well,
Take care.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#24]
My 1st post!

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice first post!
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#26]
All great posts everyone!  The SR-556 is my favorite.  Now, let's see.  Where did I put my dang camera?  
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll play.  My SR556c with night scope.  Usually has an ACOG on it, but just got the NV and had to put it on something.

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Holy crap that scope looks big! Using it for night hunting?
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'll play.  My SR556c with night scope.  Usually has an ACOG on it, but just got the NV and had to put it on something.

<a href="http://s726.photobucket.com/user/CircRN/media/photo34_zps7dbda8cd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/CircRN/photo34_zps7dbda8cd.jpg</a>
View Quote

does it take 2 d batteries?
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Finally made it to the range for the first time. It went through 120 rounds with no issues. It was more accurate than I am.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 5:37:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice pic!
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Gonna get her to the range next week!!!!

Link Posted: 5/25/2014 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice setup. How are you liking the primary arms variable scope?
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#34]
No rounds yet... Hopefully next week
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#35]
No rounds yet... Hopefully next week
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Be sure to let us all know how it goes... Oh and be sure to take pics!
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a Ruger SR 556FB.  Currently, it is my only AR, (have a scar 16 too) but my collection is expanding.  I put a lot of money into upgrading it, including a Geissele SSA trigger and although I like it, I want a lighter AR.  I tried balancing out the piston with a heavy buffer and a magpul acs-l, but along with balance, it made it very heavy.  This thing is 9lbs 3 oz with no light or vertical grip.  That's just too heavy for me to want to do any carrying.  If all you want to do is bench rest it, well, it's awesome.  Between the FSC 556 flash/comp, the heavy buffer, the piston, and the weight there is no recoil.  Unfortunately, I really want to like this rifle more than I do.

Recently, to check out the DI world, I ordered a complete JP 15 and a Noveske Gen 3 upper...  I waned to use the Noveske upper to be able to swap out for the Ruger piston upper when need (weight dictates).  

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I thought someone could educate myself and others on differences in carriers and compatibility with a specific mind toward the Ruger. This is an "info" thread right?  Anyhow, The Ruger carrier looks to be an AR style carrier and I am pretty sure Noveske uses an M16 style carrier right?  I read somewhere that Colt also uses the M16 carrier and someone has confirmed function with a Colt upper on a Ruger lower, so will the Noveske upper work with the Ruger lower?  I was reading something about additional measures put into place by Ruger to prevent the firearm being converted to auto.  Hoping I won't have any problems.  Anyone know?  I may have to buy another lower?
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have a Ruger SR 556FB.  Currently, it is my only AR, (have a scar 16 too) but my collection is expanding.  I put a lot of money into upgrading it, including a Geissele SSA trigger and although I like it, I want a lighter AR.  I tried balancing out the piston with a heavy buffer and a magpul acs-l, but along with balance, it made it very heavy.  This thing is 9lbs 3 oz with no light or vertical grip.  That's just too heavy for me to want to do any carrying.  If all you want to do is bench rest it, well, it's awesome.  Between the FSC 556 flash/comp, the heavy buffer, the piston, and the weight there is no recoil.  Unfortunately, I really want to like this rifle more than I do.

Recently, to check out the DI world, I ordered a complete JP 15 and a Noveske Gen 3 upper...  I waned to use the Noveske upper to be able to swap out for the Ruger piston upper when need (weight dictates).  

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I thought someone could educate myself and others on differences in carriers and compatibility with a specific mind toward the Ruger. This is an "info" thread right?  Anyhow, The Ruger carrier looks to be an AR style carrier and I am pretty sure Noveske uses an M16 style carrier right?  I read somewhere that Colt also uses the M16 carrier and someone has confirmed function with a Colt upper on a Ruger lower, so will the Noveske upper work with the Ruger lower?  I was reading something about additional measures put into place by Ruger to prevent the firearm being converted to auto.  Hoping I won't have any problems.  Anyone know?  I may have to buy another lower?
View Quote

The Ruger is a bit on the heavy side but the 556C and CLA models do a pretty fair job of lightening the load. The models have a slightly shorter barrel that's fluted. This cuts several ounces off the front end.

Along these lines, I bought a Ruger SR556E and had Marvin Pitts rebarrel it with a lighter profile barrel. He was able to get something like a half pound off the rifle with the thinner profile. This would be the option I'd recommend if you want to lighten the Ruger and keep shooting it without buying a whole new top half for the gun.

Regarding your question about uppers; the Ruger lower should accept any standard AR upper but you'll need the complete upper since the Ruger bolt carrier is unique to their platform.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll Play

And his little brother
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Hey Melvin I saw you wrote somewhere that you had the handguards off and saw how the transfer rod was situated and such, based on what you saw do you think there's a way to retrofit a DI handguard to fit? I really want to get a lighter handguard and see if possibly there was a way to mill some weight off the gas block. Whats your stance on that? Is there any dead weight on the block that is not necessary to function?

I love the Ruger and the weight doesn't bother me as much but if it was feasible to do so I'd love to. My company has a milling machine with digital readout and motorized table so I'm wondering how hard it would be to put the gas block, and possibly barrel, in a vise and take some material off? Would it be worth it?

How does Ruger have the transfer rod set up in there? Would it be simple to say take a two piece rail and if necessary epoxy some steel or bass bushings into the rail to support the rod? We have accurate ovens and 3M 2214 Scotchweld that cures to damn near almost weld strength. Is this possible or am I just getting too far ahead of myself?

Hi, my name is Kyle, and I have a severe case of BRD.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hey Melvin I saw you wrote somewhere that you had the handguards off and saw how the transfer rod was situated and such, based on what you saw do you think there's a way to retrofit a DI handguard to fit? I really want to get a lighter handguard and see if possibly there was a way to mill some weight off the gas block. Whats your stance on that? Is there any dead weight on the block that is not necessary to function?

I love the Ruger and the weight doesn't bother me as much but if it was feasible to do so I'd love to. My company has a milling machine with digital readout and motorized table so I'm wondering how hard it would be to put the gas block, and possibly barrel, in a vise and take some material off? Would it be worth it?

How does Ruger have the transfer rod set up in there? Would it be simple to say take a two piece rail and if necessary epoxy some steel or bass bushings into the rail to support the rod? We have accurate ovens and 3M 2214 Scotchweld that cures to damn near almost weld strength. Is this possible or am I just getting too far ahead of myself?

Hi, my name is Kyle, and I have a severe case of BRD.
View Quote

Here's what the inside of the forend looks like.  Notice the bushing that the transfer rod runs in.

There's probably a little bit of metal you can shave off the gas block but I don't think you'll see a significant difference in just the block alone.  I weighed the gas block when I had it off.  IIRC it weighed something like half a pound.  

I don't know how a different forend would work.  I think one of the biggest challenges might be finding something that's the right length to house the transfer rod and fit behind the rifle's gas block.  

Watch this.  You'll see how easy it really is to pull the gas system apart:

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#42]
What do you guys think a used Ruger 556FB upper is worth?  Or should I sell my complete rifle?  I did my first carbine class this weekend and came to some conclusions.  My wife went with me.  I took a Colt 6920 magpul edition I think which I borrowed, my Scar 16, and my Ruger 556FB.  

The class was not super intensive, but it was 2 days.  It was for beginners, but it did emphasize a lot of moving and shooting.  We shot from different positions in fast succession and ran timed drills.  It was a lot of fun.  My wife couldn't run the charging handles on the ARs, so I let her run the Scar which was much easier for her to operate.  She ran it awesome.  All of her T25 exercising paid off in this class, which definitely tested physical fitness in the near 90 degree heat.  

Back to my Ruger.  I think its a fantastically well made firearm.  Wouldn't bash it at all!   I see why people like them.  It seems to be assembled of top notch components.  I love how clean it runs and how easily that BCG is to wipe off.  I have an FSC 556 on the muzzle, BCM mod 4 chg handle, rail covers only to reduce fore weight, magpul enhanced trigger guard, BAD lever, Geissele SSA trigger, magpul asap, Spikes ST-T2 buffer, magpul acs-l and enhanced butt cushion, ambi safety,... I can't think of anything else.  Anyhow, it should be set up great, BUT it became immediately obvious to me that it was way to heavy for me to shoot in any sort of "dynamic" fashion.  I'm just not that strong and nor is my back.  INSTEAD, I ended up running the Colt upper on the Ruger lower and it was a perfect match. My drill times dramatically improved running that configuration.  (My groups were better with the Ruger upper when I was simply standing still - as that piston, weight, fsc, made it very nice shooting.)  The colt upper on my modified lower with trigger, sling attachment, and stock were great and maybe even a little light.  So, I have already ordered a new fancy schmancy light upper (YES BRD)  that I could run on the Ruger lower, but if I'll never use the upper, does it make sense to keep it or should I just dump the whole rifle and get a new lower? Think anyone will just want the upper? What is a used 556 worth?

I wanted an accurate comp AR and a lighter tactical class AR and this Ruger just doesn't fit either, despite me thinking it's actually a really great rifle.  I know it's tough to have too many ARs, but I really didn't want a bunch of rifles that just sit in my safe.   My initial goal was to have 2 really nice AR rifles and I'd like to stay with that as much as possible.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Great video...
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#44]
I had to send my SR-556 back to Ruger for warranty work. It cycled fine and shot good groups but the groups were 4" left at 50 yards with the windage on the rear sight adjusted full right. They've had it about a week now. I'll post an update when I get it back.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Hello All and thanks for some great posts and pics.

I don't own a Ruger SR556 (yet) but have a question for those of you who do.  Since I haven't been able to get my hands on a sample yet, is it possible to put a folding stock on the Ruger?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hello All and thanks for some great posts and pics.

I don't own a Ruger SR556 (yet) but have a question for those of you who do.  Since I haven't been able to get my hands on a sample yet, is it possible to put a folding stock on the Ruger?

Thanks
View Quote

http://www.lawtactical.com/product_p/2012201.htm
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the lawtactical heads up.  I was thinking something like the folding stock on a Galil or one that could be attached via end cap that you would find on a SIG 556 pistol and such.  I guess my ignorance is showing because I don't own any piston AR style rifles.

So educate away please, you can't hurt my feelings without trying REAL hard.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks for the lawtactical heads up.  I was thinking something like the folding stock on a Galil or one that could be attached via end cap that you would find on a SIG 556 pistol and such.  I guess my ignorance is showing because I don't own any piston AR style rifles.

So educate away please, you can't hurt my feelings without trying REAL hard.
View Quote

Basically the guns have different operating (recoil) systems.

The Sig has the recoil spring (buffer spring) wrapped around the piston rod removing it from being placed in the butt stock like the AR.  The AR needs it's buffer and buffer spring which are both located in the butt stock.  

Google search for pictures of AR vs Sig recoil / operating system pictures and you will see why.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks.  I know probably sounds super simple, but I guess I was thinking if a manufacturer took the step into piston from DGI why not self contain the whole thing?  And certainly there will be dollars associated with each decision and we all like to pay the least amount we have to and still get what we want.  For many years I just never happened to be in a situation where extended fire brought the DGI system down as I wasn't usually that far from a cleaning session, then when it happened I got all kinds of disappointed.  So now I am on the piston quest and with all the corporate mergers going on I would buy from Ruger anytime a stock production gun fit the bill.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Great thread and great video!!  I love my SR556FB in 5.56 and picked up an SR556FB in 6.8 SPC last year.  Both are outstanding.  The 6.8 shoot Hornady VMax 110 into 1/2" at 100 meters.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top