BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2015 9:23:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
yea, I tried one of the first gen...epic fail with cross slide vice, drill press and end mill bit (now sits in my gun safe sawed in two lol).  You better have access to a GOOD milling machine (with depth indicator) and table.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Love my FDE build
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yea, I tried one of the first gen...epic fail with cross slide vice, drill press and end mill bit (now sits in my gun safe sawed in two lol).  You better have access to a GOOD milling machine (with depth indicator) and table.
View Quote

What makes it so difficult?  Is it the material?
I've done aluminum 80% using my drill press in the past without issue.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I think all the drill presses I had access to were not adequate as well as the harbor freight cross slide vise.  I didn't have a way of attaching a dial caliber to check the depth.  The trigger pins I had no issue with, they came out perfect. I tried to go down in increments but ended up a little too far.  I tried to get some shop time where  guy had a true milling machine but it didn't work out.  I had it for a year before finally trying.  I used the specified drill bits and end mill bit.

Now that I look back at it, by the time I bought the lower, bits, wasted time finding a drill press (that I thought ran true) I should have probably just bought a light weight lower that was already finished.  Don't be discouraged by my experience.  I see a lot of people who have success with them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:38:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I watched the video on youtube.
Doesn't seem like a garage project, you definitely need some decent shop tools such as a quality drill press.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I did my Gen 1 with a Harbor Freight drill press and the milling turned out fine. I did have the pin hole problem that some other users reported but as far as the milling went it was much easier than the aluminum ones I've done.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top