Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2014 1:11:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:29:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]
How does it confront two issues: inadvertently popping open from gas pressure, and wearing out the charging handle latch pocket in the upper reciever?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does it confront two issues: inadvertently popping open from gas pressure, and wearing out the charging handle latch pocket in the upper reciever?
View Quote

I've never heard of the handle popping open from gas pressure. What else is going on to cause this? Is it a combo of pressure and worn out pocket and/or latch?

Also, I assume this is only for the ar15, and not MaTen and other 308 receivers?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#4]
how does this differ from Sintercore's Tripwire?

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've never heard of the handle popping open from gas pressure. What else is going on to cause this? Is it a combo of pressure and worn out pocket and/or latch?

Also, I assume this is only for the ar15, and not MaTen and other 308 receivers?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's more of an issue for suppressed guns. Same reason that people who shoot suppressed do the RTV mod.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://sintercore.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/standaloneSlider.jpg
View Quote

Sinter core uses a 3d printed polymer latch if that matters.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I will buy one of these.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:30:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Their website says they have halted sales do to the Mega release.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:34:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where does Sinter say that? I'm not seeing it here
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:50:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder how it would do in combat. Has it been extensively tested? I'd hate to have the charging handle rattling around while you're running around trying not to get your dick shot off. If it's combat ready, watch out BCM/VLTOR & RAPTOR.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Isn't SLR Rifleworks offering similar too ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the Renegade uses a sort of flat spring only (with a little synthetic bushing). I don't recall there being even a roll pin pivot point on the Renegade.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#13]
As a LH shooter that loves the Raptor, but not the cost, this CH interests the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Price?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think the Renegade uses a sort of flat spring only (with a little synthetic bushing). I don't recall there being even a roll pin pivot point on the Renegade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It uses a ball bearing tensioned with a flat spring.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It shows on mine.

Further production is halted until we determine patent status of MEGA Arms’ just-released charging handle with identical design

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I was excited when I heard about the SLR but then read that it likes to eat away material on the upper.  Let's hope Mega and Sintercore can get this sorted out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its actually a detent. Not a ball bearing
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Any word on MSRP?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:51:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any word on MSRP?
View Quote

They said it would be cheaper than the rest of the ambi charging handles, and the cheapest I can think of is the BCM charging handle at $35.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:04:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They said it would be cheaper than the rest of the ambi charging handles, and the cheapest I can think of is the BCM charging handle at $35.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any word on MSRP?

For the BCM ambi? msrp is 70...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Any word on MSRP?
View Quote

Over on WEVO they're saying ~$40.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#22]
How exactly does it work?  Does the latch actually lift up and unhook from the upper receiver or does it just slide over the charging handle latch tab when it's pulled back?

The pictures make it look like the latch doesn't lock in like a standard one.  Look at the latch on the Noveske Raptor below and compare it to the Mega latch picture in the OP.  The picture showing the bottom of the Mega charging handle shows the latch having a shallow angle on the hook compared to the 90 degree angle on the raptor.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How exactly does it work?  Does the latch actually lift up and unhook from the upper receiver or does it just slide over the charging handle latch tab when it's pulled back?

The pictured make it look like the latch doesn't lock in like a standard one.  Look at the latch on the Noveske Raptor below and compare it to the Mega latch picture in the OP.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0259/2561/products/011_nvprod1-11_1024x1024.jpg?v=1383790079
View Quote

The hook is rounded so it acts like a detent.  You pull back and the latch levers itself out of the way due to the rounded edge.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The hook is rounded so it acts like a detent.  You pull back and the latch levers itself out of the way due to the rounded edge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pictured make it look like the latch doesn't lock in like a standard one.  Look at the latch on the Noveske Raptor below and compare it to the Mega latch picture in the OP.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0259/2561/products/011_nvprod1-11_1024x1024.jpg?v=1383790079

So it does not actually lock down like the other latches then.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it works more like the SLR and Sintercore.  If the tension is right it's not going to just pop loose.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No, it works more like the SLR and Sintercore.  If the tension is right it's not going to just pop loose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But if the tension is wrong, it's going to not lock in when shooting if too loose, or cause premature wear to the receiver catch similar to the SLR Renegade if too tight
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:46:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

But if the tension is wrong, it's going to not lock in when shooting if too loose, or cause premature wear to the receiver catch similar to the SLR Renegade if too tight
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In hardened steel (as in a steel upper) this would probably work a lot better, but with aluminum you have that delicate balance, and you have to worry about wearing out the aluminum if you are too tight or cycle it too many times.  Once you round out the latch pocket corners, that changes the balance of spring pressure required to keep the handle locked.  It seems like one part has to be sacrificial and wear prone, either the upper or the latch, and in either case you have replaced a system that doesn't wear out with one that needs maintenance.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wonder how it would do in combat. Has it been extensively tested? I'd hate to have the charging handle rattling around while you're running around trying not to get your dick shot off. If it's combat ready, watch out BCM/VLTOR & RAPTOR.
View Quote

Even plain old milspec CH's have a decent bit of play around the latch area, and it varies with the tolerances on aftermarket CH's. Regardless, the CH should stay in position as long as your bolt is forward.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I wonder how this will pan out between Metga Arms and Sintercore? It really seems like they both designed an almost identical product at similar times. I have a Sintercore charging handle from the 1st batch and glad I didn't hold off for reviews before locking my order in.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:33:49 AM EDT
[#31]
If you could put a small progressive rate coil and set screw in front of the pivot point, tension could be adjustable to a degree. Don't know if its possible on a spring that small though and be able to keep the handle a comfortable size.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Anyone heard an ETA?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:47:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks!  I'm looking forward to trying one - my 20" bipod rifle will be a perfect host.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll get one to try out when they're released.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:14:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sweet!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll get one to try out when they're released.

Sweet!  

So are they out?  I want one to try as well
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:24:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm sure Mega has done their fair share of R&D on this one.  They are a top notch manufacturer.  I'm sure it's legit and won't cause premature wear on the upper.  
View Quote

I respect Mega a lot, but after the RAM paint washed off the F117 in the rain, and the F35 can't run if the fuel sits in the tank in the sun because it's "too warm", well...trust but verify. Can you show us this alleged R&D? Can Mega? I'm not asking for the moon, I just want pictures of an upper with "X" number of cycles on it or something. Trust but verify, no disrespect intended.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I respect Mega a lot, but after the RAM paint washed off the F117 in the rain, and the F35 can't run if the fuel sits in the tank in the sun because it's "too warm", well...trust but verify. Can you show us this alleged R&D? Can Mega? I'm not asking for the moon, I just want pictures of an upper with "X" number of cycles on it or something. Trust but verify, no disrespect intended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure Mega has done their fair share of R&D on this one.  They are a top notch manufacturer.  I'm sure it's legit and won't cause premature wear on the upper.  

Uppers are cheap, charging handles are cheap, I'm willing to do the R&D for them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Any word? Does it look like it's going to be this year?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I've wanted a Raptor for a while but I've never bought one due to the price. I'm VERY interested in this though! :)
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:55:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I contacted Mega through Facebook, and they said they think MSRP will be $60. I was thinking it would come in a little better than that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I contacted Mega through Facebook, and they said they think MSRP will be $60. I was thinking it would come in a little better than that.
View Quote

I was hoping for around $40 (street price)... But as an engineer in R&D, a years worth of R&D isn't cheap...
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#48]
That's the price point I was looking for as well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Love Mega...but I think I love the Renegade more from SLR.  Really awesome charger. Feels and functions amazing.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:55:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top