BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked at the ups charge in my response, if I wronged you I apologize, I have not been back to look for other options.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
are you an FFL? I would love to have a pistol refinished in this
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Ordered thanks Andrew, Customer ID: 325
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Placed my order.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We are an FFL07 yes, we are still only entertaining taking customers used products in for application. We are only really set up to handle new materials, as doing used - already coated or treated - materials opens up a very large, angry, can of worms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are an FFL07 yes, we are still only entertaining taking customers used products in for application. We are only really set up to handle new materials, as doing used - already coated or treated - materials opens up a very large, angry, can of worms.

well, I will just play the waiting game then

I have an all stainless Sig P226SL that would look awesome with this
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We are sending out units to be reviewed this week. Soon you won't have to take our word for it...
View Quote

Hope to see these reviews before the coupon code expires.  I'm interested, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:35:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Received mine today and although I have not shot it as of yet this appears to be a very well made piece of hardware. I'm impressed with the fit and finish of this product. It fits in my rifle perfectly and cycles very smoothly, no noticeable slop or play. Staking on the gas key is excellent. I can't wait to get this out and shoot the bejesus out of it.

A couple of other things to note, TR Enabling shipped this out within 90 minutes of my placing the order. Maybe that was just luck, but cool none the less. Another cool item is that some XF-7 was included with the bcg, I'll be trying this out as well. I'll update this after I get some rounds through it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:18:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Couple questions:

1) Is the bolt shot peened, HPT & MPI tested?  

2) The only thing I know about teflon is my wife goes nuts if I use any metal on a non-stick pan.  Needs to be wood or teflon otherwise you can scrape the teflon off.  With a thickness of .0005”, and a lot of metal on metal rubbing, how does the coating not wear off?

3) Lastly, can you talk a little about the break in process you mention.  What exactly needs to be broken in during the first 500 rounds?  I understand all BCG's will create wear patterns on the upper receiver, is this what you mean by the break in process and why you recommend the grease?  It was this thought process that brought me to the concern in #2.

As someone who lives in Hawaii, I want to thank you for the USPS option, you have no idea how many businesses have lost a customer due to only having UPS ground or more expensive options.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Got mine in this morning. Shot 5 boxes of green tip with no problems. I was expecting something to go wrong since TR mentioned a break in period but maybe I got lucky. Here are a few shots along with a spikes and an arfcom BCG.

It also comes with a little tube of lube. I like my spikes the most of all my BCGs but this one right here is next in line. Feels really slick when you pull back on the CH compared to the arf and my phosphate. Its hard to notice any difference in friction compared to my spikes nickel boron. Overall, really happy so far with my first purchase from TR enabling. I also want to add that based on this purchase, I will be buying the trigger group as well. You guys did a good job on this one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For those of you who ordered using USPS:

For some reason the local sort facility scanned the packages incorrectly, the tracking numbers you received in your confirmation emails are correct, even if they indicate a strange location (Ludlow, MA - our local facility). Once they are scanned by your local facility you will see the correct data. We have been tracking them and most have already made it to the local offices. USPS
View Quote

My tracking said Out for Delivery  Ludlow, MA for two days, and then BAM it was in my mail box in mich.

Also i asked on your facebook page and didn't get a response,if you were going to offer the XF-7 you sent us with the BCG on your site,or should we just get it from Don at the XF-7 place?

And the Obsidian looks much much better holding it in you hand than looking at pic's of it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The guide rails of the carrier have even been hand polished, as well as the mouth of the gas key.
View Quote

I just got mine today! However, upon close inspection it appears that the finish has been removed in the above mentioned "hand polished" areas. Those areas appear bright silver like unfinished steel, while the rest of the BCG is that beautiful dark obsidian color. This concerns me a little bit because those areas are crucial friction points and without the obsidian finish they would not have the benifit of the lubricity which makes this finish superior. It seems to me that if the finish was indeed removed during polishing at these crucial friction points, then the cycling of the entire BCG would not be any smoother (due to the lubricity of obsidian) than a phosphate BCG. I mean, doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of using a coating of superior lubricity if it's not present in the crucial friction points?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:49:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Wait...why is this bolt not shot peened? That is an integral step in the proper manufacture of a bolt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:05:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You are correct, The bolts are Indeed shot-peened.

Full specs for the Bolt:

Carpenter 158 (Heat treated to spec, Shot-peened)
M-16 Extractor (buffer, HD spring, O-ring)
MPI
HP Batch tested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait...why is this bolt not shot peened? That is an integral step in the proper manufacture of a bolt.

Full specs for the Bolt:

MPI
HP Batch tested.

Okay. Good deal. I wondered how on earth that step had been skipped.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#23]
How much to do an AK-47 FCG with this stuff?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

More like the step where the post is proofed got skipped
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full specs for the Bolt:

MPI
HP Batch tested.

Okay. Good deal. I wondered how on earth that step had been skipped.

More like the step where the post is proofed got skipped

Fair enough!

So, is this finish porous like hard chrome? It is very thin. How does it do regarding corrosion resistance? I know that Robert Silvers had a nickel base-layer done on all of his NiB BCG's for the 300BLK project at AAC because NiB isn't the best in such super thin layers at preventing corrosion. How does Obsidian do with this, as it is a VERY thin layer, it seems. Also, the microscopic structure, is it spherical or columnar? NiB is columnar and that is why it "holds" fouling and changes color. It also means that the lower CoF of NiB is mostly a result of these "peaks" only touching the other objects, hence less surface area = less friction. As it wears or is polished, these peaks wear down and more and more surface interaction occurs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The coating is not porous, it is more similar to NiB than Hard Chrome.

Test panels endured an accelerated time "Salt Frog" test and endured over 300 hours with no sign of corrosion.

Nickel-Boron and our Obsidian, which is a Nickel based product as well, have many similar characteristics. However, Obsidian is not susceptible to the discoloration or staining that the NiB products experience.
The extremely low CoF is derived partially from the peaks that you mentioned. However, we have not experienced a significant reduction in this performance when measured after use (and abuse ). A large portion of our reduced Cof comes from the infusion of Teflon throughout the entirety of the coating. We are able to infuse Teflon from he surface to the substrate, ensuring a measurable decrease in CoF throughout the lifetime of the coating.
View Quote

How does surface adhesion compare with NiB?  I'm pretty set on running a Milspec bolt, but the carrier and cam pin are very interesting to me. A ' la carte option?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just curious, but why would you desire to run the same exact bolt that we use with an inferior coating and gas ring design? We may have the individual components available on the site soon. We are working to have all of our items listed individually (LPK components etc)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The coating is not porous, it is more similar to NiB than Hard Chrome.

Test panels endured an accelerated time "Salt Frog" test and endured over 300 hours with no sign of corrosion.

Nickel-Boron and our Obsidian, which is a Nickel based product as well, have many similar characteristics. However, Obsidian is not susceptible to the discoloration or staining that the NiB products experience.
The extremely low CoF is derived partially from the peaks that you mentioned. However, we have not experienced a significant reduction in this performance when measured after use (and abuse ). A large portion of our reduced Cof comes from the infusion of Teflon throughout the entirety of the coating. We are able to infuse Teflon from he surface to the substrate, ensuring a measurable decrease in CoF throughout the lifetime of the coating.

How does surface adhesion compare with NiB?  I'm pretty set on running a Milspec bolt, but the carrier and cam pin are very interesting to me. A ' la carte option?

Just curious, but why would you desire to run the same exact bolt that we use with an inferior coating and gas ring design? We may have the individual components available on the site soon. We are working to have all of our items listed individually (LPK components etc)

-CRANE used to spec the McFarland gas-ring for the MK18, but no-longer does. Diminishing returns and all that. Further, I have seen a large variance in the McFarland style ring's dimensions, and some have caused plenty of issues. I have had no issue with standard gas-rings over thousands and thousands of rounds. They are proven to work fine. I have never heard of Mil-spec gas-rings being the cause of an issue.

-The mil-spec bolt is a specific hardness. So is the barrel-extension. The mil-spec bolt is also a specific dimension (0.250" at the tail, and numerous other dimensions). Further, with some coatings hydrogen embrittlement can be an issue. This is why Robert Silvers did not spec NiB for his bolts on the no-expenses-spared AAC BCG's (he did a bunch of other expensive stuff with them to the point that it cannot be argued that not coating the bolt was a "cost saving measure"). I do not know the long-term effects of the bolt being nearly 20 points harder on the RC scale than is spec'ed in the TDP on the barrel extension. It may matter, it may not, but the mil-spec bolt is proven to work just fine.

-The mil-spec cam pin is prone to deformation and this creates slack in the system. You can replace it periodically, of you can use a coating like yours. It just cycles smoother with a perfectly round pin vs. one that is peened and deformed.

-The carrier is a pretty no-brainer item if dimensionally correct. The slicker the carrier slides in the upper, the better. This is wholly a component of how smooth the 4 contact skids and the sides of the gas-key are. Yours is polished and the coating is slick. I can see zero downside provided they are dimensionally correct and the smoother ID of the carrier will further benefit gas-ring seal and longevity, although likely trivially, compared to a quality smooth hard chrome carrier.

Those are my reasons and rationale.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Going strong
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Any chance you are going to do M-16 trigger groups in this as well? I would like it if you did a flash hider coated in this to torture test, There are some new parts i am looking to order that would look great with this on it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sign me up on the list too! Sorry if I missed this answer somewhere, but can aluminum be processed? I would like to process a whole AR and my desert eagle. Steel magazines would be nice also.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:15:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Coated components include:

-Carrier
-Gas Key
-Bolt
-Extractor
-Cam Pin

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So this new coating is only for the carrier, not the bolt?  (from the look of the photos)

Coated components include:

-Carrier
-Gas Key
-Bolt
-Extractor
-Cam Pin

Why not the firing pin?
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Who does the chrome plating of your hard chrome carriers?  Is it industrial hard chrome, or thin dense chrome?
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Send me one, I'll test it for ya!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/fA7sx6x_0EE

Hear it from another...

Mr Guns, look forward to your review as well.
View Quote

It's finally up

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Send me one, I'll test it for ya!
View Quote

This ^^
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Will these be available for sale as a bolt carrier only? I have a matched bolt to my barrel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Obsidian V2 Carriers In Stock and On Sale for Labor Day! $185.00

Obsidian V2
View Quote

What's different in the V2?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#44]
How often do you have blems for sale ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

We some available currently.

Blemished Carriers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How often do you have blems for sale ?

We some available currently.

Blemished Carriers

Says out of stock. I could have used one too.

ETA: And I second the question above. What's the difference with the V2?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obsidian V2

+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obsidian V2

+1

+2
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#49]
I'll take one the next time they run a sale.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Can we please get an answer on what is different with the V2? A simple "that's proprietary" will suffice.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top