Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2014 5:48:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]
what does this weight compared to a Semi bcg?
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

VDI is proud to launch its new Low Mass D.I Bolt Carrier with LifeCoat BCG

VDI direct impingement full auto rated bolt carriers are compatible with mil-spec and non mil-sped upper receivers and associated components. This bolt carrier is machined to meet all MIL TDP specifications and is enhanced using LifeCoat treatment providing superior:
View Quote

Almost!

Is it possible to get them without the sharkfins? It seems like they might be lost weight savings unless they're functional.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Is it possible to get them without the sharkfins? It seems like they might be lost weight savings unless they're functional.
View Quote

They're not, they ARE mall ninja cool though!!! I was going to say it looks almost as ghey as the Adams Arms ultralight carrier, but then I realized they're seemingly identical except this one is DI. I'd bet they're made by the same company.

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
VDI is an off shoot of AA
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the emblem
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]
$250.99.

They remove more material and charge you more for less, hmmmm that dog don't hunt.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I paid more for less with a JP LMOS.

I'm still shopping around for another LMOS alternative, and the only ones I can really find are the Youngs, Seekins, Spikes abomination, and now this. I'm pretty sure all (except the JP) start off life as milspec carriers. If the sharkfins are all show and no go, it really turns me off to the design priorities of the part.

They lightened the shit out of their extralight barrels, why didn't they do the same with their lightweight BCG?
Take off as much material as you can to make game weight, otherwise it's just a bandwagon part with "LifeCoat".

aaand the voodoo website is down.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
$250.99.

They remove more material and charge you more for less, hmmmm that dog don't hunt.
View Quote

I hear that! It's the American way,bend over son
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#9]
sure does look a lot like the new adams arms BC
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Care to give us a reason to select this over a JP (which I own and like)?

Sorry I didn't know how to ask without shitting on your thread. New products are great but we need to know how you intent to capture market share.
View Quote

Because its "LifeCoated" of course!
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Care to give us a reason to select this over a JP (which I own and like)?

Sorry I didn't know how to ask without shitting on your thread. New products are great but we need to know how you intent to capture market share.
View Quote

Forward assist. Also for another poster above: removing more material = more machining time, which is why it costs more. Manufacturing and Machining costs are WAY more than material costs.

That being said, I will keep my JP LMOS.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless there is some new machining voodoo, it is probably way more intensive in time and tooling to sharkfin than to make the same plunge and mill cuts that are found in the tail end of the bcg.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this started out as a milspec BC that was milled out, so the forward assist notches were already there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Any sister company to adams arms is a sister to me... Not sure tht works but I will be adding one of these to a bcm upper if I go DI.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I got a chance to handle one at the TF Dagger 3gun match. Very nicely done, I'll be adding one to my 18" upper.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
$250.99.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
$250.99.

I'll explain how it works, because you obviously don't know, and since you're talking, I worry that people may pay attention to you and may think you know what you're talking about.

Machining processes cost time, on machines that cost 6 figures. These are less material, yes, but they go through many more machine processes in order to achieve the lighter weight that benefit many people wanting certain tuning set ups on their rifles. The increased cost is due to the time of the machining processes, among other things.

Quoted:
Quoted:
$250.99.

You too, see above. Try learning.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#20]
My response is quoted below, and the back and forth could go on and on. I'll bow out here because it's not my intent to hurt an Industry Partners business in any way.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wow, I didn't think my post would call out wise ass responses, that merely wants to try and make someone look stupid. I know more machining equals higher cost. Man hours aren't cheap, even when you have a machine programmed to do all the heavy work. I didn't want to come out and say that it's a solution to a problem that can be fixed by simply buying a lightweight buffer. So you can choose to spend $250.00 on an over engineered aesthetically pleasing bolt carrier, or $20.00 on a lighter buffer, either will accomplish exactly what a low mass carrier is supposed to. The buffer and carrier are two parts that work together and can accomplish the same thing. I too know a little about how things work. BTW, this isn't the first time a company has sold a low mass carrier, why not just manufacture one out of titanium, nope that too has been done before.

BTW low mass BCG are not recommended for precision rifles, at least that's what the internet tells me.
View Quote

Do you know much about machining Ti vs Steel?

A low mass carrier and a lighter buffer won't produce the same thing like people think they will. Some people go for certain tunes on rifles (like 3 gunners) that require different weight buffers, carriers, etc. Options are a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'll explain how it works, because you obviously don't know, and since you're talking, I worry that people may pay attention to you and may think you know what you're talking about.

Machining processes cost time, on machines that cost 6 figures. These are less material, yes, but they go through many more machine processes in order to achieve the lighter weight that benefit many people wanting certain tuning set ups on their rifles. The increased cost is due to the time of the machining processes, among other things.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$250.99.

Quoted:
Quoted:
$250.99.

If you think i need a explanation,your the one that needs an education. I was just humoring the ladd. Lighting up bud or go to the huffington post.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#23]
- SPAM deleted. Don't do this again. -

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
$250.99.

View Quote

The more material removed means more machine time, which adds cost.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$250.99.

Right.  the material costs are the same because they have to start with the standard part I would think.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Almost- the total number of operations factors heavily into determing the machine time. I.E. one 10 second operation is considerably less time and wear than five 2 second operations in the final program (<huge simplification, but that's the idea thrust)

That's why I'm confused at the choice of sharkfins. Each fin is added weight and at least an additional 2 operations in machining.

It may have been cheaper, faster, and lighter to have made a straight cut , or even a dipped parabolic cut, across the shank of the BCG aside the FA serrations than to have made cosmetic sharkfins. If the ONLY POINT of a lightened BCG is to reduce reciprocating mass, why not do away with the fins entirely (unless they're functional, in which case someone should correct me)?

Again, they seemed to try hard at trimming all the fat from their extralight barrels:
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/330104/file-538190575-png/vdi_barrel.png?t=1392913912000

Why not apply the same design priority to a Modified BCG?

I get it that if you have an Adam's Arms you want to match the drapes to the curtains, but if the sharkfins are just dead weight to stand out from the field of other lightened BCGs, they're standing out for the wrong reason from a design perspective.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a feeling the "shark fins" are not a cosmetic attribute. The "shark fins" may add some support, and much easier to plunge an end mill straight down a few times rather stepping down and taking full cuts. also, the material was probably held in an indexer, not so many extra ops, just the indexer turning. I don't work for Voodoo and cant speak for their machinist.  I would prefer lighter over heavier, that's just me though.
no reason to bash Voodoo for posting up their new product in the "new products" forum..

Wissota4
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm really trying to prevent the fever pitch from the previous lifecoat threads, and just critiquing from a design perspective. Again,  I really like the execution of the evolite barrel- Function that parallels form.
Though it's coming off as bashing, it's just my thought process when considering a new product in a crowded field that I happen to be shopping in. I do the same thing when shopping for cereal!

Ten through-plunges with an endmill would equal a lot of broken endmills. Unless they're switching to EDM for the back half of the BCG, the sharkfins seem like a lot of extra operations to defeat the purpose of having a lightened BCG.
It's more than a feeling- just using napkin and pen trig, I'm pretty sure the sharkfins are cosmetic dead weight. I would appreciate it if VooDoo would chime in if I'm incorrect.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a feeling the "shark fins" are not a cosmetic attribute...
View Quote

You're mistaken on all counts. Adams Arms said in another thread they were cosmetic.

Considering you can only see them when the carrier is removed, it seems absurd to me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You're mistaken on all counts. Adams Arms said in another thread they were cosmetic.

Considering you can only see them when the carrier is removed, it seems absurd to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a feeling the "shark fins" are not a cosmetic attribute...

Interesting. This also seems absurd to me. Why make a part inside another part cosmetic?

Quoted:
I'm really trying to prevent the fever pitch from the previous lifecoat threads, and just critiquing from a design perspective. Again,  I really like the execution of the evolite barrel- Function that parallels form.
Though it's coming off as bashing, it's just my thought process when considering a new product in a crowded field that I happen to be shopping in. I do the same thing when shopping for cereal!

Ten through-plunges with an endmill would equal a lot of broken endmills. Unless they're switching to EDM for the back half of the BCG, the sharkfins seem like a lot of extra operations to defeat the purpose of having a lightened BCG.
It's more than a feeling- just using napkin and pen trig, I'm pretty sure the sharkfins are cosmetic dead weight. I would appreciate it if VooDoo would chime in if I'm incorrect.  

I too don't understand the cosmetic part of that then either. However, with the proper feeds and speeds a 1/2in carbide end mill shouldn't be breaking. Finding out that it is actually supposed to be cosmetic, I guess my argument goes right down the drain.  Shedding weight is nice though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Right.  the material costs are the same because they have to start with the standard part I would think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$250.99.

The bolt carrier does not begin as a part
Voodoo builds their carriers out of their own casting.

most everyone  here seems to grasp that machine time + coating, or coatings= the item cost
but there is a misconception that low mass carriers begin as traditional carriers.
it would be much more expensive if all light carriers were standard carriers
and had to be machined post heat treat or were taken to temp to remove heat treat to remove material.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
$250.99.

View Quote

removing that extra material costs alot more than the material itself!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I like it....mixing it up and continuing to have vision to think outside the box is a good thing in the industry.  Necessity doesn't always have to be the mother of invention.......
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Blingblingbling.NO thanks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the insight bro.  I was waiting for your opinion
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:31:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free of charge.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I like it....mixing it up and continuing to have vision to think outside the box is a good thing in the industry. Necessity doesn't always have to be the mother of invention.......[img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_confused.gif[/img]
View Quote

In this case...more like marketing is the mother of necessity.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#38]
The lifecoat thread went downhill fast (with good reason) and I am not trying to start a new debate on that. But I stand by what I and many others said on that thread. More info than lifecoat please!!!

On the voodoo site you guys do an awesome job of listing specs with the barrels even going as far as to list the weight, which is something most barrel makers can't seem to do for some reason, and you list it as melonite coated, which is awesome, so we know exactly what we are looking at! Doing the same thing with the rest of your products, like this bolt, would really help us out
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:59:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The lifecoat thread went downhill fast (with good reason) and I am not trying to start a new debate on that. But I stand by what I and many others said on that thread. More info than lifecoat please!!!

On the voodoo site you guys do an awesome job of listing specs with the barrels even going as far as to list the weight, which is something most barrel makers can't seem to do for some reason, and you list it as melonite coated, which is awesome, so we know exactly what we are looking at! Doing the same thing with the rest of your products, like this bolt, would really help us out
View Quote

This thread is for their low mass bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, it's for a hate/fap fest. Voodoo is bringing an ever expanding product line to market, as is  AA.  In the past I've been critical of AA (I'm not a piston fan) and as far as lifecoat goes,  I have no idea what it is. BUT I'm an 07 FFL specializing in a certain type of coating* and despite that formula being a secret and not publicy known,  people line up for it. Doracoat, Cerakote, Moly-resin, gunkote, hell even annodizing, most people have no idea as to what they actually are,  but people like them.   AA has done a lot of coating experimentation and they're smart guys.  If someone doesnt like or want a lifecoat product,  don't buy it.  Others will,  just like with Cerakote, Moly-Resin,  etc.  It'll develop a good rep or bad,  just like those coatings.  

*Not saying more because I don't want to get accused of advertising.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nah, it's for a hate/fap fest. Voodoo is bringing an ever expanding product line to market, as is  AA.  In the past I've been critical of AA (I'm not a piston fan) and as far as lifecoat goes,  I have no idea what it is. BUT I'm an 07 FFL specializing in a certain type of coating* and despite that formula being a secret and not publicy known,  people line up for it. Doracoat, Cerakote, Moly-resin, gunkote, hell even annodizing, most people have no idea as to what they actually are,  but people like them.   AA has done a lot of coating experimentation and they're smart guys.  If someone doesnt like or want a lifecoat product,  don't buy it.  Others will,  just like with Cerakote, Moly-Resin,  etc.  It'll develop a good rep or bad,  just like those coatings.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya 100%. Keyboard commandos searching for battles.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey I just went shooting which their low mass BCG and my ar will not cycle fully, if I pull back the charge handle it will grab the first bullet fine but when it's fired, it shots out the cartridge but will not grab then next bullet, I have carbine 16" barrel and I have a t2 buffer, I've been trying to get ahold of voodoo but it's impossible to get ahold of anyone over there
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hey I just went shooting which their low mass BCG and my ar will not cycle fully, if I pull back the charge handle it will grab the first bullet fine but when it's fired, it shots out the cartridge but will not grab then next bullet, I have carbine 16" barrel and I have a t2 buffer, I've been trying to get ahold of voodoo but it's impossible to get ahold of anyone over there
View Quote

It ran fine with a traditional BCG?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

What a surprise.  Sorry for your loss....of money.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I talked to a guy with them today.   He hasn't lost money,  and I bet this is easily fixable with a little knowledge.
If the rifle ran fine and the only change made was the low mass bcg, then it makes sense that it'll short stroke.  Will it happen every time?  No.  But AR gas systems are not all created equally and they can be tuned.  (Hence different weight buffers, different length gas systems,  pigtail gas tubes, etc. ) I went from a phosphate bcg to a NIB in one of my rifles and it started acting overgassed. Blaming the BCG may very well be the wrong route here.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 3:01:42 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm not blaming the BCG in a bad way I'm just saying that's my problem at the moment is bc of it I just wanted to know what I could do to fix it bc it's a really nice BCG and I wanna keep it, im guessing it's not going far enough back to grab the next bullet soo I was wondering if I needed to get a lighter or heavier buffer to fix the problem

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 4:09:48 AM EDT
[#47]
I doubt it's the bcg, unless the key is leaking. We need more info, did you put your gas block on your barrel yourself?

It sounds like a gas problem, that possibly can be fixed with a lighter buffer, but there is more to look at than that.
Need more info.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I doubt it's the bcg, unless the key is leaking. We need more info, did you put your gas block on your barrel yourself?

It sounds like a gas problem, that possibly can be fixed with a lighter buffer, but there is more to look at than that.
Need more info.
View Quote

I had a gunsmith do the gas block and tube install and I went back to them when I had that problem they fired it with a normal ar15 bcg and everything cycles normal but when u put my bcg back in it won't cycle, the guy check everything and everything came back to the bcg but he really didn't give me an amswer how to fix it other then get another bcg and get out of the door
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I had a gunsmith do the gas block and tube install and I went back to them when I had that problem they fired it with a normal ar15 bcg and everything cycles normal but when u put my bcg back in it won't cycle, the guy check everything and everything came back to the bcg but he really didn't give me an amswer how to fix it other then get another bcg and get out of the door
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Need more info.

You went to a low mass carrier. You need a lower weight/mass buffer to get a working 'tune' on the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 1:28:57 AM EDT
[#50]
What Dan says, and you need a new gunsmith.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top