BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like this lower and the ambidextrous controls, but I do not need the push button swivel cups. Any plans to make this lower without the swivel cups?
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Having issues installing the take down pins, are the holes for the springs shorter than normal?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Also, can people please show the tolerance between there uppers (list type of upper) and how it fits to the San Tan Lower?

The SanTan and my Stag Model 3 Upper has a very loose fit, and if I use the tension screw to make it tight, I cannot take the rifle down because there is so much pressure on the rear takedown pin.

Will throw some photos up.

I'm In the market for a new upper though and am hoping to hear if there are some that fit nice and tight.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#7]
you may have to stick a drill bit down the front pin hole and remove debris.  the rear one i had to take off maybe a 1/8 inch

info
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#10]
my colt and DD have play. so far just been to lazy to buy a oring for the front pin hole
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a lower coming in mid-week that's for a KAC 14.5 upper. I'll let ya'll know how they fit together.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are lots of different pictures of uppers on our Facebook page so you can see the match between upper and lowers. The "Slack" you are feeling is due to different manufacturer tolerances. Each dimension of an AR-15 has a +/- tolerance. at STT we cut to the middle of that spec to maintain the widest part compatibility. If an upper is on the low end of the spec it will have the slack verses if it is on the upper end it will be tight.

As far as the upper takedown tension set screw goes, lets get your take down pin tension set first then we will adjust that screw. By doing it in this order it removes one variable for us to work with.

as far as being in the market for a new upper, we are currently working on our billet upper that will match the STT-15 perfectly! I don't have an exact ETA but it wont be a long time.

Feel free to give me a call and I can walk you thru it!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, can people please show the tolerance between there uppers (list type of upper) and how it fits to the San Tan Lower?

The SanTan and my Stag Model 3 Upper has a very loose fit, and if I use the tension screw to make it tight, I cannot take the rifle down because there is so much pressure on the rear takedown pin.

Will throw some photos up.

I'm In the market for a new upper though and am hoping to hear if there are some that fit nice and tight.

There are lots of different pictures of uppers on our Facebook page so you can see the match between upper and lowers. The "Slack" you are feeling is due to different manufacturer tolerances. Each dimension of an AR-15 has a +/- tolerance. at STT we cut to the middle of that spec to maintain the widest part compatibility. If an upper is on the low end of the spec it will have the slack verses if it is on the upper end it will be tight.

As far as the upper takedown tension set screw goes, lets get your take down pin tension set first then we will adjust that screw. By doing it in this order it removes one variable for us to work with.

as far as being in the market for a new upper, we are currently working on our billet upper that will match the STT-15 perfectly! I don't have an exact ETA but it wont be a long time.

Feel free to give me a call and I can walk you thru it!

UPDATE:

Managed to get the rear takedown pin to play nice after taking off a bit of the spring as advised and tweaking the set screw till it was just right. As far as the the tension set screw goes I headed that advice too and managed to get it so it sets at a reasonably tight (not perfect but hey good enough!) and it takes down fine now.
At this point the front takedown is in so tight I can't seem to be able to remove it so I can trim the spring. Need another device to apply pressure to the detent better than my punch.

Sorry for the camera photo (Will get the GF to take a better one with her High Speed camera to do this lower some justice) But wanted to show how Bad Ass this puppy looks!

Besides the minor discrepancies I've had, this lower is of great look and function! For a blamed lower, I could not find anything that indicated a blemish. This is an incredible deal and I am very satisfied thus far and the response from Dennis could not have been more immediate. I can not say enough about the customer service of San Tan!

If I could add one bit of advice to y'all it would be to maybe include the correct size detent springs in with the lower though, just a thought to make the setup a little more streamlined in the future.

Will do a range report after this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#13]
you shouldnt ever need to trim the front spring. is just annodized particles that you can use a screw to pull it out.

just manually insert and rotate.

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone know how the Vltor MUR pairs up with the SanTan lower?

Wondering if billet on billet would be a tighter fit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Sweet. Nice pics.

I have a lower sans logo with BAD-EPS, an SSA-E & a 45 selector sitting at my FFL that I'm gonna pick up in about 2 hours. I have a BCM Mod 1 grip and a CTR stock kit at home waiting for it.

I went without the logo so I can use the space if I decide to SBR the lower one day.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh and you get lots of stickers! That should be a nice setup. I went with the magpul k2 grip and a B5 Sopmod. Debating on the enhanced pins let me know how they work out for you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Oh and you get lots of stickers! That should be a nice setup. I went with the magpul k2 grip and a B5 Sopmod. Debating on the enhanced pins let me know how they work out for you.
View Quote

May just have been me but the EPS pin set had more wobble than your standard pin set. I'm getting a replacement sent to me so will see I it was just a bad set.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
May just have been me but the EPS pin set had more wobble than your standard pin set. I'm getting a replacement sent to me so will see I it was just a bad set.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My EPS pins seem the same way. I recently put a set on a KAC lower and they feel a little loose also. I think the pin diameters might be on the small side of the spec, but the detent stops are quite positive especially on the front pin. These 2 details combine to make the front pin a bit stubborn to break loose at times.
Yeah, I got 2 stickers. 1 will go on my equipment cabinet next to the BCM and BFG stickers... Wish I had a KAC sticker to go along with them.
No pics of the lower yet. I plan on dressing it up this afternoon/evening and will post pics then. Here's my initial impressions of handling it.

• The SSA-E is really nice. I thought my KAC 2 stage was nice until I tried this thing...  I was considering getting an S3G or SD3G, but I'm hoping to take this to a carbine course and the SSA-E will probably be as light as I can safely handle. I might pick up an SSA spring and see what the difference is. I have a DMR that I'm gonna install in my LPR this weekend, I can only imagine that will completely spoil me in terms of trigger quality.

• Fit and Finish of the lower is quite impressive. Flawless anodizing and no machining marks that I can see. There are lots of Johnny Come-Lately's in the AR world these days, but if ST can maintain this level of quality, I can see them sticking around.

• It's not immediately noticeable, but there is a cup machined into the rear of the right side of the magwell to rest your trigger finger. This is a nice touch and I've never seen it anywhere else. I'll see how I like it once everything's assembled. I'll get a good pic later.

Minor Gripes [nothing is perfect] :

• Left-side Mag release:

• The knurled finger pad is pretty much flush with the side of the mag. well rib. Personally, I would prefer if it was raised a bit or if there was a raised curb or something around it to provide a landmark for finding it blindly - I think it would make it easier to find by touch. However, given the cheese grater knurling it has, it's not that hard to find by feel...

• I would also prefer if the pivot point was a little higher. I'm comparing to the feel of my KAC lower and this is a small gripe and something I'm not sure that I will ultimately notice/care about.

• Rear QD cup Integration

• I think the Integral QD cup fad has come and gone. Because of these, the rear takedown pin detent & spring are in a hole that goes down to the pistol grip and not back to the buffer retainer plate. This means that the chamfered part of the rear BAD-EPS pin is oriented about 10:30 instead of 2:00 and kinda negates it's usefulness.

These aren't things that I necessarily believe are bad about the STT-15, just things that I would have done differently.

I think for the next version of the STT-15, they should consider

1. Add the option for some custom engraving opposite of or instead of the rollmark. This is required if one wants to SBR the lower and there aren't many places that will do the engraving without the lower fully dis-assembled. It would be a nice touch and probably worth a $40-$50 upcharge since aftermarket engraving costs about that much. I'm sure they could find a cost-effective small CNC engraver that can do this

-This would be quite a leap for someone to take [engraving a lower they've never seen/handled] so maybe it would be more appropriate to sell this as an after-purchase add-on. They pay for it with the lower and then can schedule a date to return it for engraving. This would let someone handle it and decide if they want to keep it & make sure it functions reliably before getting stuck with it.

2. Get rid of the integral QD cups, route the rear takedown detent hole the usual direction and offer Troy/KAC End plate sling mount or design an ST one. This will probably make MFG'ing easier and also increase the functionality of EPS pins.

3. Giving me one cause I asked nicely.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Krusty783-
I agree with you on the integral swivel cups. I do not think they should be an integral part of the receiver. It would be fantastic if the cups were optional.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Duff, Thanks for the offer. BUT, once I stopped being a Fudd and actually assembled the upper and lower together, the pins are quite easy to budge. So I'm gonna go ahead and claim a PEBKAC error on what I said above.

I got the lower assembled. Review/Documentation below.

Executive Summary:

Winning!!

Unboxing the lower

Here's the contents of the box:

The detent and spring were in the bag with the Geissele instructions. One of the product booklets and 1 of the stickers were also in the baggie.

More info on the L/H Mag release

Here's a couple pics of the L/H mag release. I think I'd prefer if the finger pad was (?more?) level with the lever or raised slightly.

Parts:

Upgrade Complete:

The only issues I had were dealing with the BCM Grip [BCM supplies a flat head screw. I guess F/H screwdrivers might be more common in austere environments or something, but they're damn impossible to use to guide the screw into the hole in the top of the grip], the castle nut on the receiver extension was backwards [didn't notice until I was trying to figure out why my armorer's wrench didn't fit] and I forgot about the upper tensioning screw until after the pic above.

I'm using this lower with a KAC 14.5" factory upper with boltcarrier.com installed URX4. I'd say the play between upper and lower was about 1.5 times what it is in my LPR, so the mismatch is maybe .015-.020. By mismatch I mean slot that I can see light through if I try. There was some slight play between the upper and lower, perhaps a little more than on my factory rifle, but the upper tensioning screw took care of that. I know that upper-lower play is nothing more than annoyance. If anyone wants something water tight they need to go with matched billet receivers or something like that.

I did find some very light machining marks on the front left corner of the magwell flare. Though to be fare, the marks are faint and less than what I can see on my KAC lower. They look like some hand finishing to the corner and don't show up very well in pictures.

If you look at the front magwell corner in this pic you can kinda see it:

I should stipulate that I'm not complaining. I was working under a florescent light on a white blanket on an off white workbench... This thing is nearly perfect and I've seen much worse. I'm just trying to accurately describe the lower. I presume that after a carbine course or two these "marks" will be well camouflaged.

STT Lower vs KAC Lower. The scale is an illusion; they are the same size (of course) but I am a crappy photographer. The anodizing is nearly identical with the KAC being maybe 1/4-1/2 a shade darker/more matte. KAC has a BCM mod 3 grip, the STT has a BCM mod 1. The STT trigger guard almost matches up with the smaller Mod 1 gap filler. The trigger guard is maybe .010-.020 difference in the surfaces. This is not a complaint by any means and is probably as perfect match as one can hope for between an unrelated CNC milled aluminum piece and a mass produced injection molded part.

Post assembly I tried empty USGI, Lancer AWM, Troy BattleMags and a gen 1 & gen 3 Pmag. All dropped free without any hangups. I'll see if anything changes with ammo.

The rifle is now bunking with my LPR waiting for a range trip, which will hopefully be next weekend:

Also, here's one of the decals on my storage/ammo cabinet. It's more of a decal as opposed to a sticker; there is no clear membrane, you peel off the protective layer and and press the sticky side onto something then slowly peel off the backing, leaving the black logo stuck on place.

----

So, if you're still reading this... The STT-15 is one of the cheapest fully ambi lowers out there and they also have the lowest prices on the upgrades (EPS pins, triggers, Vltor A5 system etc) and the quality is top notch in my experience. I highly recommend them.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#25]
My left side mag release does not seem to sit as far in as yours. Ill get a pic up in a bit.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I just got mine in, its beautiful!! However my magazine well has a lot of wobble. I've tried pmags, steel gi mags, and pro mags. Has anyone else had this issue?
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hello Bwong91,

The reason for this is to accommodate all of the different sizes of magazines from different manufacturers. When finalizing the dimensions in the magwell we had magazines from the small end such as the USGI and Promag then there are Magazines that are on the high end such as the Surefire 60 & 100 round mags.

The side to side motion you are noticing doesn't effect function at all. It only makes it so no matter what magazine you are running it will drop free when the releases are pushed.

If you want give me a call if you would like to talk, I'm here to help

View Quote

The magwell and it's flare will swallow a mag and a finger. If a finger is in there, there is no mag wobble. Tried and tested with a gen2 pmag and my left index finger Don't try it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#30]
This may be old news to some, but I just tried the discount code and it still works.  This came from AR15NEWS.com

Right now they have some lowers with VERY MINOR cosmetic blemishes that they are calling STT-GRENADES and are ready to move them at a heavily discounted price. This includes the new Battle Arms Development 45 degree selector compatible lowers as well.  These blem lowers are 100% functionally the same as non-blem models but may have minor nicks or visible tool marks but nothing major. They are also switching to a reversed flag design where these have the forward facing flag. Some companies wouldn’t even think twice about selling these as normal lowers but they just simply aren’t up to San Tan Tactical quality standards when it comes to the finish and look of the lower.  

Normal retail for non-blemished STT-15 lowers is $290 and blem lowers are normally $230. However, San Tan Tactical gave us a special discount code for St. Patrick’s Day. Use the code “AR15newsLuckyCode” at checkout to snag one for a limited time only at just $199 a piece.  www.santantactical.com

Thanks to AR15NEWS.com!!

Stay Safe,
firemandan
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Color? Me wants to know!
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got mine finished. This is the best ambidextrous lower I have ever used. I highly recommend it. Also, Cerakote is only $40 more.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:55:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hey Duce  

That is Cerakote FDE with Burnt Bronze controls.

Jodyviper- what an awesome job building your pistol! I love it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Color? Me wants to know!
Hey Duce  

That is Cerakote FDE with Burnt Bronze controls.

Jodyviper- what an awesome job building your pistol! I love it!

Will you be offering more Cerakote colors from factory, or Cerakoted controls?
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Can't say enough good things about my San Tan Tactical lower and Dennis.

He runs a top notch operation and am extremely impressed with the quality of his lowers.

I'm local to him so I was lucky enough to stop by and pick up a "Grenade" - smokin' deal!  Plus I got to chat with him at length about just about everything, great guy who understands how to run a business.

I was looking for a lower to build a 22lr suppressed SBR and just happened to catch this new lower.

I would say that you WON'T be disappointed in the blems - I'm pretty anal about my stuff and have no regrets at all.  If it were a 5.56 I may have gone with a regular one, but the little bit of "blem" that I found (actually he had to point it out) this was well worth the savings.

I was able to get my BAD lever to work,  with major modification, would not recommend on a duty rifle as I had to weaken it quite a bit. Had a few other little hiccups, but all due to the .22lr build factor and mag adapter that has to be used.  It fit together perfectly on my 5.56 Sig upper.  So it works perfectly as intended.  The .22lr builds always need tweaking, so don't want to take away from the quality of this unit.

Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Excellent product.  The QD sling attach points are an especially nice touch.  For a high-end "billet" build, this receiver is an ideal choice. - CW
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Old school type configuration.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#40]
At the advice of Dennis at San Tan I ordered a Phase 5 Tactical bolt hold open/release and got it installed with no real issues.

I did have to shim the roll pin opening to take the slack out of it, but easily done.

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#41]
I tried to e-mail STT with a question via the form on their contact page, but haven't received an answer yet, so I'll just ask my question here.

In the options for the STT-15 lower receiver for the "Magwell Logo Engraving", what difference does the 90 degree and 45 degree make? I understand that under the Selector Options it's for determining if you want the full 90 degree throw lever or a short-throw 45 degree lever, but can't see what difference it would make on the magwell logo engraving. I would like to order an STT-15 lower without the logo, and I know there is just one option for no logo so it really shouldn't matter, but was just wondering what the difference was. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:02:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Was really impressed with the photos and options included on this lower, so much so that I purchased a logo'd lower then worried if there was enough room to have it engraved for a SBR build, anyone?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Plenty of room. I have one on a form 1. No problems with engraving.

Mike
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was really impressed with the photos and options included on this lower, so much so that I purchased a logo'd lower then worried if there was enough room to have it engraved for a SBR build, anyone?

Plenty of room. I have one on a form 1. No problems with engraving.

Mike

Thankyou
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm about to order an stt. Is there anyway of getting the battle arms short throw selectors and take down pins coated along with the rest of the controls when I order all as a package?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:06:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We can Cerakote anything, but the pins tend to be a challenge, since the tolerances are tighter and the Cerakote adds some thickness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm about to order an stt. Is there anyway of getting the battle arms short throw selectors and take down pins coated along with the rest of the controls when I order all as a package?

We can Cerakote anything, but the pins tend to be a challenge, since the tolerances are tighter and the Cerakote adds some thickness.

Ok so skip the pins. Check. So then will ST do the battle arms levers to match the rest of the receivers controls?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:43:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered. Emailed with Dennis and he's going to make sure my battle arms levers are coated along with the rest of my sectors. Really great help. He's also lining me up with LEO Armory who does laser engraving so I can get my NFA stuff done before Dennis coats the lower FDE. Can't ask for better service.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:09:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Lose the logo.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top