BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2011 11:49:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow is all i can say.  You guys hit it out of the park on that one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#2]
can you use standard USGI mags with this round?

Also, the barrels state that they are optimized for sub sonic ammo, will higher velocity not shoot well in these barrels?  any plans for a chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Also, the barrels state that they are optimized for sub sonic ammo, will higher velocity not shoot well in these barrels?  

My guess is they are pistol length gas systems.

ETA:  I see now where is says pistol gas system on the third barrel.  That would be my guess though as the pistol systems cycle subs betters
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Please excuse my ignorance, but is this any different from J.D. Jones' .300 whisper, or the copycat .300 Fireball?  In any case, I love this concept, and I hope this iteration is successful enough to get some major ammo makers on board.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok...color me confused.

I just got an email back from you guys today. I was asking about what gas port size you used and if I might need an adjustable gas block to run mostly supersonic (e.g., the factory Rem 123gr. loads and the like up to about 147gr. ball). I asked such things as:

What size gas port would such a barrel have?
Would an easier (and perhaps better) solution be to just buy an adjustable gas block (I have used PRI ones in the past with good luck)?
What size (internal diameter) gas blocks do your lightweight barrels require (the common 0.75”, or other)?

Here's the response I got today:

"We don’t have anything optimized, or even suitable for supersonic ammunition."

Now, I think I could live without "optimization" becase I assume that your "supressor-built" barrels would have a larger gas ports than ones geared toward supersonic loads. Thus, I could put on a PRI adjustable gas block and be GTG...right? It's just the last part of your Reps' response that got me here...

***update –– followup from WC on 2/11***
Here's a follow up asking them to clarify (for reference, the 16" bbls I was asking about have carbine-length gas):

Chris,
The concise answer is the specific market segment we are pursuing is subsonic.  There are barrels out there that are better suited to supersonic use, ours is not one of them.  Rather than sacrifice quality by trying to be "good" at many areas we would rather be "the best" at one.

Thank You,
XXXXXXXXXX
Wilson Combat

I post this only as info for those trying to figure out what barrel will be best for the type of build they have in mind. I wanted to go with a WC bbl, but it seems I will have to look elsewhere. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Please excuse my ignorance, but is this any different from J.D. Jones' .300 whisper, or the copycat .300 Fireball?  In any case, I love this concept, and I hope this iteration is successful enough to get some major ammo makers on board.

There are several already producing ammo (Remington has 2 loads, BTW). Do a search –– even google - and you'll have a night's worth of reading.

Link Posted: 2/10/2011 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#7]
ost
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Just assembled a WC 300 blackout lightweight 16" barrel last night, I used the PRI low profile adjustable gas block and the port size for my barrel was .106". Used a Troy/Vtac 11" battle rail handguard and it fit fine, the set screw for the port lines up with the slot in the rail for easy adjustment. I need to make up some brass and load some cartridges to check it out, hope to have some time this weekend. Will be using Redding 300/221 and a set of modified 7.62x40 Hornady dies first to see how they work. Have heard mixed reviews on the 300 blackout dies from Forster so would rather not buy them unless I have to.

Hope this helps.
Joe
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just assembled a WC 300 blackout lightweight 16" barrel last night, I used the PRI low profile adjustable gas block and the port size for my barrel was .106". Used a Troy/Vtac 11" battle rail handguard and it fit fine, the set screw for the port lines up with the slot in the rail for easy adjustment. I need to make up some brass and load some cartridges to check it out, hope to have some time this weekend. Will be using Redding 300/221 and a set of modified 7.62x40 Hornady dies first to see how they work. Have heard mixed reviews on the 300 blackout dies from Forster so would rather not buy them unless I have to.

Hope this helps.
Joe

That was close to the build I had in mind –– I would be interested in how well you get some 123gr and 147/150gr. supersonic loads to function in it.
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top