Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 8:23:44 PM EDT
I obtained a mostly realy nice early C stock with medium mottling and very little deep scratches.

The problem is the butt pad was gouged pretty badly.

I am building a 607 stock so I will have a cut off back end that I might be able to use.

Any suggestions on how to make C stock lemonade out of C/D stock lemons?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
It is possible to reuse a type D butt pad. I've peeled a couple type D's but it is not easy. At least one, most of the time both halfs get damaged. It is possible, but a lot has to do with the stock itself. I found that using a sharp chisel along the seam and just working it around to loosing the seem, then crushing the donor butt pad stock in a vise just below the glue line pops most of the stock off the butt pad. If it works, you then put the broken pad stock in the vise and reverse process. I will caution again, I have been only about 50% successful so far. I have broken quite a few of the ones I was trying to save. If all works, you can glue the two good halfs back together to make a perfect stock.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I was kind of think that to be the case but since I am cutting the d Stock down for  607 I am hoping the pad will be easier to get out of the D stock cut off.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I repair type D pads frequently when I am bored. If it is the least bit separated, you can knock it out with a round bar. just smack it
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I totally agree, but the key is that it is stock dependent. If the glue is dried up, it can be quite easy. If not, it can be a lot of work.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I've done several. If you have access to either a heat gun or a propane torch it's easy. In fact, I still have a box of 10 cut offs left from my65pan who used to make 607 stocks.
Here's the rundown.
To remove pad from the cut-off stock:
1) Cut the stock body about 3/4" to 1 " back from the rubber pad all the way from top to bottom.
2) Carf out the foam filler until you see the back side of the rubber pad.
3) Warm up the stock body material at any given start point small sections at a time. Like 3 inches.. (Warm it, don't melt it) As it warms up the stock body will soften.
4) Take a pair of pliers and start gently peeling the stock body away from the rubber pad.. Work your way all the way around the pad.

2 ways to install into another stock:
1) Drill with a 1/2" or 5/8th" drill bit. Pick a spot near the center of the rubber pad and drill into it. (You will know how deep to go after you have removed the rubber pad from your "cut-off")
2) You can drill a couple more holes above and below your 1st hole if you feel comfortable.
3) Use an X-acto knife or utility knife and start removing rubber from the center out to the edges. Just be careful at the edges. Having the removed pad from your cut-off done 1st makes for a great "template" for when you're cutting out the pad on the "keeper" stock.

2nd way to remove pad from the keeper stock is just simply all knife work.

When you're ready to glue the good pad into the keeper stock, depending on how much of the foam fill came out of the keeper stock (if any), I will use a very VERY small amount of expanding glue like Gorrilla glue. You don't need much at all,you just want any voids to get filled. Then round the outer edge of the rubber pad use a clear none expanding glue (Gorrilla glue also makes a good product for this). Then be sure to clamp the rubber pad to the keeper body  from end to end so the expanding glue doesn't push the rubber pad out. If you don't have a clamp, use plenty of blue painters tape and wrap tight from end to end.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Many thanks.

I will get the wifes hair dryer out.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top