Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2017 3:45:07 PM EDT
The local gander mountain had a colt match target I was watching. Thought it might go for cheap one day. Was a little beat up but not bad. Stopped by today and the place is almost empty. The match target was gone and this sporter 2 was sitting there almost by itself. Took a quick look and knew I wanted it. Wonder where it came from as it wasn't there 2 weeks ago. Might go check your local gander. Paid $740 came with a redstar China replica 3x20 scope.

Plugged in the serial number on colts website and didn't get a sporter. Any idea what year?

Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Good buy!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Circa 1990. Call Colt & they prolly will tell you exactly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
You scored.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice find.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd guess earlier than that, probably mid-'80s. I'd have been all over that for $740. It looks like it's in great shape and almost completely original.

I'd find an original sight wheel and screw set for the pivot to set aside but would leave the Rapidex wheel and push pin on there for now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
None of the AR series serial numbers are searchable on Colt's website - you have to call their archive department. $25 for a simple lookup, and more if you want full historical details on your firearm.

The earliest Sporter IIs, like mine, didn't even have the forward assist. My serial is 302xxx and comes from 1985. Yours is 314xxx, which would make it probably late 1985 or early 1986.

After the 1989 Stockton school shooting, California enacted its first AW ban in 1990, and banned the AR-15 by name, so Colt ceased production of the Sporter II and started calling most of their new rifle models by names other than "AR-15"
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I am thinking 85-86 as well based on the numbers I have accumulated over the last 35 years.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd guess earlier than that, probably mid-'80s. I'd have been all over that for $740. It looks like it's in great shape and almost completely original.

I'd find an original sight wheel and screw set for the pivot to set aside but would leave the Rapidex wheel and push pin on there for now.
View Quote
I just bought 3 surplus rear sight kits from Indiana Army Surplus for 15 each.

They might be able to help you locate just the sight wheel for a good price.

Currently Numrich is out of stock.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I could take more pictures. Colt bcg and C marked hammer. Looks clean inside and out.
Originally thought the scope was a better made in Japan one. Didn't look it over too closely.

ETA    Really tempted to put an A1 grip and type E stock on but I'm guessing the A2 stuff is original.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I own a HBAR Sporter with serial # SP248xxx & Colt told me it was made in April 1990.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Educated guess, made in 1986. Nice score!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I could take more pictures. Colt bcg and C marked hammer. Looks clean inside and out.
Originally thought the scope was a better made in Japan one. Didn't look it over too closely.

ETA    Really tempted to put an A1 grip and type E stock on but I'm guessing the A2 stuff is original.
View Quote
Yeah, I'd leave it original. I could be mistaken, but even though this has an A1 upper, this would be considered an early transitional A2. Like Hikok45's in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLcw62Zs7gY

I'd put the sling on the other way though, it's on backwards in the pictures.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'd put the sling on the other way though, it's on backwards in the pictures.
View Quote
Yeah I thought that was funny. Wondered if any one would see that.

ETA. Pulled the sling off after the pictures to clean the barrel. Would this have a certain type of sling? I'm guessing no and will probably leave it off.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Negative. Earlier than that. I have a Sporter II (s/n: 346XXX) and it was made in 1986. Mine has the A2 upper which was used a little later than the upper in the pictures. I suspect that the OP's Sporter II is from around 1985. Contact Colt for find out exactly when. That is what I did.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#15]
How late did they use slab sided lowers?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah I thought that was funny. Wondered if any one would see that.

ETA. Pulled the sling off after the pictures to clean the barrel. Would this have a certain type of sling? I'm guessing no and will probably leave it off.
View Quote
That's likely the sling that came with it, it would be correct. I'd keep it on there for use during unsupported shooting, to help stabilize the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's likely the sling that came with it, it would be correct. I'd keep it on there for use during unsupported shooting, to help stabilize the rifle.
View Quote
Thanks! I'll put it back on.
Barrel was clean also. No copper at all. Kind of surprised how clean it was.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine is a 321 and verified by Colt 1985

ETA Mine is exactly like yours with the A1 upper, although mine has an early A1 port door. Colt was just using up existing stock when they transitioned to the A2
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How late did they use slab sided lowers?
View Quote
My Colt R6601 Sporter Match HBAR has a slab side A1 lower with an A2 upper and Colt said it was made in 1990.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
windage drum and front pin clearly aren’t original, Should be same as an SP1.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mine is a 321 and verified by Colt 1985

ETA Mine is exactly like yours with the A1 upper, although mine has an early A1 port door. Colt was just using up existing stock when they transitioned to the A2
View Quote
Early port door would be cool.

I have a like new A1 grip and stock that would look great on this.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
windage drum and front pin clearly aren’t original, Should be same as an SP1.
View Quote
I have the windage drum on the way. Should have a spare 5 notch front sight pin in my parts box.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I would leave it as is. Do not change anything. If you have the need to change anything, it could be to change out the rear sight wheel and that is all. Remember, your AR15 A2 Sporter II is an A2 based model other than the upper and lower receivers. It was the transitional model from SP1 to the Sporter II. Later Sporter IIs were all A2 based except for the lower.

This is a pic of my 1987 AR15 A2 Sporter II. Same as yours with the exception of the upper receiver, pivot pin, and forward assist.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Another great A2 thread. 
That grey is the best gun-grey in existence; I like it tons over the contemporary black anodize that most AR15s have on today.

I guess that that's why we love - among other things - retro looks and builds.

OP it's a great score. I understand your temptation to change things here and there - typical when we have a transitional looking item - but I would keep it as you have it.

Or sell at twice your buying price. You scored. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Early port door would be cool.

I have a like new A1 grip and stock that would look great on this.
View Quote
You will always have the larger barrel - so you'd still looking at it sideways, probably.

Whatever you end up doing, great purchase!

ETA: my own A2 build. Upper is original early Colt, lower had to be Nodak spud A2 as - here in California - those Colt lowers are banned by name.

I hope they'll never ban that musket, at least. 

Because Muskets.
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Good catch. Now I want another one...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have the windage drum on the way. Should have a spare 5 notch front sight pin in my parts box.
View Quote
I meant the front takedown pin, should be large hole flathead screw like an SP1 and A2 HBAR.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I meant the front takedown pin, should be large hole flathead screw like an SP1 and A2 HBAR.
View Quote
About that front pivot pin, does no one make them? Only ones I find are $50 on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

About that front pivot pin, does no one make them? Only ones I find are $50 on gunbroker.
View Quote
I know of no one who makes them. You will most likely need to buy an original one and you will have to pay a handsome price for it. Maybe someone here has a spare laying around somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
KNS and one or two others make replacement push-pins for the .315" pivot pins.

A classic two-screw pivot pin can either be had as NOS, or fairly easily fabricated from parts by a local shop - but they're not a standard stocking item anywhere but classic Colts, that I know of.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:21:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I own a HBAR Sporter with serial # SP248xxx & Colt told me it was made in April 1990.
View Quote
And l purchased my Sporter MatchbHBAR new in June,  1990.  Serial number  SP249XXX.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top