Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2017 8:03:07 PM EDT
I have always read here that "Victor at Orion" was the go-to guy, but just as frequently read of frustration because they are not accepting parts until (fill in the blank) and the date keeps getting pushed off.

My brother has a shop where he makes CNC parts for Hummers and diesel performance. They do a lot of aluminum and are considering setting up an anodizing line.
He'd have to weld up some tanks, get heat set up, buy proper dye, etc.
As a way to get started building volume, my brother's partner asked me if there were any people building replicas to warrant getting into Colt gray, GM gold, etc.

So, what about it? Is there enough interest around here  (and lack of willing vendors) to support such an effort?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe he will need some sort of FFL in order to handle receivers.
Is that added paperwork worth his time ?
I'm sure lots of people would send work his way. After he provided a few good results.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure he could find customers here. Would there be enough to be worth his while? That I can't say.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe he will need some sort of FFL in order to handle receivers.
Is that added paperwork worth his time ?
I'm sure lots of people would send work his way. After he provided a few good results.
View Quote
Not if the lowers are 80% lowers that haven't been milled yet. Otherwise, yes, he would.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#3]
If they are stripped raw lowers or lowers from guns that have been built, he will need to get a FFL, if they are 80% he won't, if he is re-anodizing lowers then yes he will.  I have looked at doing it and it was not a profit making venture, if I could have combined with other anodizing jobs on a larger scale, then I could have made a go of it, but a few receivers here and there will not pay the bills let alone pay for the equipment to do it properly.  I am an FFL/SOT and by the time I pay all my fees, I would have to do over 1000 receivers to even break even, let alone make any money.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple Uppers that I would love to reanodize,  however I don't have the money to do so currently.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
There is PLENTY room for an anodizer that could do type III hardcoat in old Colt colors, along with having an FFL. There is no room for type II and colors that suck.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't ignore the burnt bronze trend in modern uppers.. or etc.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:13:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have never sent any to be anodized.
I have had a few painted.

What would be the average cost to have an upper or lower anodized?

I have several that need the entire rifle done.
Some parts are grey and some are black.
What would be the average cost to get one (all the parts) done?

It would be depending on cost.
Ron
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have never sent any to be anodized.
I have had a few painted.

What would be the average cost to have an upper or lower anodized?

I have several that need the entire rifle done.
Some parts are grey and some are black.
What would be the average cost to get one (all the parts) done?

It would be depending on cost.
Ron
View Quote
Yes, it would depend on cost. Some years ago I had 10 uppers anodized by Victor at USA Anodizing. I got a bulk rate, I think it was around $50 each. That was great, and they looked great. Now they charge like $150 each. That's not worth it to me. I guess they have enough work, so others must be okay with that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#9]
First off, my question was not about the circumstances requiring an FFL.
They are experienced business owners, not amateurs; they're already doing accounting, collecting/paying taxes, etc.
The business is buying/selling Humvees and H1s, doing builds, restorations and performance upgrades so they're already about 90% except for anodizing equipment and an FFL (if determined necessary).

He was really thinking about doing 80% to start and to gauge demand, then get an FFL if interest supported it, but a lot of you seem to have completed guns that need work.
Obviously steel parts like barrels or BCGs would not be anodized, so we're talking uppers, lowers, charging handles for the most part?

I should have asked the obvious question about pricing; Orion started at $50 but is now $150?
What would that include (per lower? per set of upper & lower?), and what pricing would be expected/acceptable for the various things you'd want anodized?

Thanks for your responses; no promises of course, but I will talk to them about setting this up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Im looking into producing some retro parts and will need a source for anodizing
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
First off, my question was not about the circumstances requiring an FFL.
They are experienced business owners, not amateurs; they're already doing accounting, collecting/paying taxes, etc.
The business is buying/selling Humvees and H1s, doing builds, restorations and performance upgrades so they're already about 90% except for anodizing equipment and an FFL (if determined necessary).

He was really thinking about doing 80% to start and to gauge demand, then get an FFL if interest supported it, but a lot of you seem to have completed guns that need work.
Obviously steel parts like barrels or BCGs would not be anodized, so we're talking uppers, lowers, charging handles for the most part?

I should have asked the obvious question about pricing; Orion started at $50 but is now $150?
What would that include (per lower? per set of upper & lower?), and what pricing would be expected/acceptable for the various things you'd want anodized?

Thanks for your responses; no promises of course, but I will talk to them about setting this up.
View Quote
Honestly if I were to use your brother over Orion, it would definitely have to be at a lot lower price. Orion has the expertise, experience, and time to back up their price.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#12]
From what I understand, XM Gray isn't the easiest color to get right. That's one of the reasons so few people are doing it. So some positive results would definitely need to be seen before any large amount of people would show interest.

I wouldn't want to spend $150 or $160 on an 80% NDS A1 lower, send it out to braceman for engraving, then send it out to an unknown anodizer and spend $100 or so on the Anodizing (or whatever the price might be) only to get it back and have the color be way off.

When you're about $350 or so into a lower receiver, you want it to be anodized perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I think there is a market, not sure how big. The problem I see is getting the color right on a consistent basis. I have a good anodizing shop do work for me, and they have been doing anodizing on an industrial basis for 30 + years. BUT they are struggling to get the grey color right. Maybe it's just them but it seems to me that grey is a big PITA. YMMV

If someone could turn out good results for a reasonable price I'd be interested and it really wouldn't break my guy's heart at all.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Preference is given to the big companies.  Individuals are charged more.  It would be a good idea for someone to not do that.

My grandpa taught me big reward takes big risk.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I think there is plenty of room for any legit biz offering our community a reasonable value on quality work. I myself have an A2 build coming .
There are plenty of refinishing guys around, some such as Arizona Response Systems have hurt their own reps in the community.
With the advent of cera and dura and whoever is on top this week types of finishes that guys are doing in their own kitchens, the refinish business is tough.
Companies like Legal Mfg, offer finishes not available to the home builder. So another anodizer that is connected to this community will likely be a smash hit!
Keep us posted on the new venture!!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top