Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2017 11:05:32 PM EDT
I got very lucky last month and added this XM148 to the collection.  The handguard, sight, and combination tool were already waiting around in my parts boxes for the rest to show up.  Most of those pieces were waiting for 10-20 years, by the way. It arrived without a barrel so it's just a Title I firearm at this point.  I may eventually file a Form 1 and register it if a proper barrel can be found but it currently has a dummy barrel machined from black nylon rod stock.  

At the muzzle end, a 2" length of 40mm barrel harvested from a demilled M203 barrel has been pressed in to give it a proper rifled look.  In addition, a bottom rail and mounting lug for the grip was attached by cutting a dovetail in the plastic rod and inserting it from the rear.  As you can see, there is no chamber and the rear 6" is solid plastic.

The 40mm launchers are the main reason I got involved with retro ARs and I've always joked that the rifles are the accessories required to hang the real gun on. Now I need to get busy and get something assembled to mount it on.  Enjoy the pictures.

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
That is REALLY AWESOME!  I have been dreaming of finding something like that.  Where did you find it? Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats just...awesome!

Now wheres the XM16E1 to hang on top of it?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Way cool!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy hot damn!  I never thought I'd see decent pics of one.  

Nice score.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Amazing. Adapt and overcome.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is REALLY AWESOME!  I have been dreaming of finding something like that.  Where did you find it? Congrats!
View Quote
It was in an auction, mixed in with unrelated parts.  Apparently, I wasn't the only one to recognize it as the lot didn't go cheap. Hopefully, I can sell some of the other stuff and get some of my money back.  Thanks for the congrats.  Yeah, I'm pretty stoked on this one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:33:48 AM EDT
[#7]
What are the value of these things? I was offered one for sale out of a collection a few weeks back but the seller wont put a number on things... always just tells me to make an offer
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:05:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I wish somebody would do an airsoft or even molded resin version of them!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Fantastic!

Don't know why it's been so hard to find detailed pictures of one of these. Thank you for posting them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#10]
The luck you have!

That has been a dream of mine, to just find a receiver, finished or not. Parts and pictures are so difficult to find. You have the original front mount and you even have the disassembly tool! I've never even seen one of those outside of a manual. I'd love to get an up close look at the whole thing some day.

I do know of an original, complete, barrel assembly if you ever decide to finish it.

I may also have a source for a stripped barrel but, I don't know if the guy still has it or not.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The luck you have!
View Quote
Retro collecting, or collecting anything old and scarce, has always been a mix of luck, persistence, and money.  I've never had that much of the latter so have relied on the first two.  The luck factor has definitely been there in the past.

My first attempt to buy an XM-148 came in the late 1970s from a Shotgun News contact.  When it arrived, it wasn't an XM-148 at all but the bare receiver of a Colt prototype CGL-4 launcher.  I was bummed at first but quickly realized the good fortune I'd been handed.  Much easier to find a standard issue item, even something as scarce as an XM-148, than a prototype they maybe built 10 or 20 of.

Regarding value, I really don't know as they don't often change hands.  Autoweapons had one a few years back and I think their asking price was $6500.  It's gone now so someone bought or traded for it.  And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Moore Militaria listed their XM-148 on Gunbroker a few months back with a $10K opening bid.  I think it got one bid and was sold, although I can't find it in a search anymore. Did I imagine that?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My first attempt to buy an XM-148 came in the late 1970s from a Shotgun News contact.  When it arrived, it wasn't an XM-148 at all but the bare receiver of a Colt prototype CGL-4 launcher.  I was bummed at first but quickly realized the good fortune I'd been handed.  Much easier to find a standard issue item, even something as scarce as an XM-148, than a prototype they maybe built 10 or 20 of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Oh man, that is good fortune indeed. As rare as 148's are, the thought of stumbling across a prototype wouldn't even cross my mind. Do you have both currently or did you let the CGL-4 go at some point?

Regarding value, I really don't know as they don't often change hands.  Autoweapons had one a few years back and I think their asking price was $6500.  It's gone now so someone bought or traded for it.  And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Moore Militaria listed their XM-148 on Gunbroker a few months back with a $10K opening bid.  I think it got one bid and was sold, although I can't find it in a search anymore. Did I imagine that?
No, you didn't imagine that. He was selling the launcher and sight with an XM16E1 upper. I was trying to get everything in line to buy the launcher alone for myself when it sold. I didn't want Trey to lose out on a sale if I couldn't get everything together so we agreed to leave the add up. Someone bought the whole package, something like $10K or $11k, maybe more, I don't quite remember. Because of how rare they are, the value is really whatever the buyer and seller agree upon.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#13]
That brings back memories. I was in the Security Police in the USAF in 1981 and issued one of those.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice thanks for sharing and great pics
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#15]
OUTSTANDING!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh man, that is good fortune indeed. As rare as 148's are, the thought of stumbling across a prototype wouldn't even cross my mind. Do you have both currently or did you let the CGL-4 go at some point?
View Quote
Yes, I still have the CGL-4 but also still need to finish up various parts that have never been found.  I'll eventually post some photos of it and other interesting grenade launcher stuff.  Thanks for adding the extra info regarding pricing and sorry you missed out on Trey's launcher.

A question for the Air Force guys.....The XM-148s stayed in Air Force service far longer than other branches of the military.  I know I heard of them still in use with Air National Guard units until at least the late 1980s and probably into the 1990s.  Anyone know of any being issued later than that?  I know they made over 35,000 of them and the AF got a high percentage of those. Any other personal stories or sightings are welcomed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#17]
That is an amazing find
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:00:10 AM EDT
[#18]
That is just the best retro item I've seen in a while. I wouldn't mind having a non-working '48. (For a while anyway )
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OUTSTANDING!
View Quote
THIS. Wow. Just wow.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep, you win! 

I bet even the 601/602 guys are jealous. I know I am!
I feel lucky just to have found a great deal on an Edgewater.

Thanks for sharing. Those are great photos.
I wish I'd had them for this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkctiMhIguM
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#21]
yankee-V,

PM me when able.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Cool

I have always wanted a China Lake. I got hooked on them with COD 
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#23]
That thing is cool as hell!
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Did you find that in a box with some Hens Teeth?  Very nice.

Patience is a virtue.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Please allow me to pick my jaw off the floor.

Sweet score!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top