Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2017 1:45:19 AM EDT
Which one of DuraCoat's gray colors matches the closest to original retro Colt upper receivers?  I have heard in the past that their Colt Gray is too dark to match even close to retro uppers.  Just curious if anyone has used a different color that was pretty close.

I have five more retro builds going together that I am temporarily putting on A2 receivers until my XM Gray anodized A1 receivers come in months from now and I want to use DuraCoat aerosol spray on them because I have liked using it on other projects in the past.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt gray is a little too dark for me. I normally add a little park (puts just a touch of greenish hint in there) or just a dot of white to it. Too much and you end up with a battleship gray. Some folks are good with Colt gray right out of the bottle. It was rare for an upper and lower to be the exact same color, so for me this is a bit more realistic.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#2]
If skip the duracoat and use norrels grayish black flat.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had bad luck with the aerosol Duracoat. It sprays on a bit thick and does not seem a durable as other finishes. I re-finished one I did in the past with Norrel's and was very happy with the result. I was also kinda weirded out by how easy the Duracoat lifted from my parts with some paint stripper...

With Duracoat:

Stripping:

Stripped:

And with Moly Resin:
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Just a reminder that not all early receivers are the same color.  Earlier vs later (as well as Colt vs other contractors) can be noticeably different.
Fortunately, the upper and lower doesn't have to match exactly (many of the originals didn't), but if you're looking for an exact match, you'll probably need to do some testing and experimentation.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I like Norrells because it is easily applied, the color matches, it is by far the thinnest spray-on oven cured finish, and is impervious to solvents once cured.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#6]
This might be better suited for the Refinishing forum but since we're talking about retros, I have a formerly black Nodak lower that was cerakoted by a local company to try and match a vintage upper. I'm not really happy with how the color turned out and wondered if the cerakote can be removed so I can have it re-done with Norrell's moly resin. I do have several other pieces with their grayish-black flat and am very satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wondered if the cerakote can be removed so I can have it re-done with Norrell's moly resin.
View Quote
Ditto
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried Duracoat, easy to apply but as was said, too dark.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 again for norelles, and doesn't go on thick or runny. (had bad mojo with Alumahyde also)
Below, Lower US Anodizing, Upper Norelles If I hadn't told you could you tell which was anodized by color or texture?  If you do go Duracote I wish you all the luck and happiness, however I found it to be not just about the color but the finish quality too. This stuff looks like anodizing and is very difficult to wear, flake, peel off. 

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top