Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2017 2:47:51 PM EDT
I won this on GunBroker a few days ago. I put in what I was willing to pay and hoped and hoped that someone would outbid me, but no one did. It's an earlier version with thin crosshairs and a thick inverted post. Anyways, it's missing the base. I'm not new to these scopes and I know that I could buy a cheaper made scope and scavenge the parts I need, but the bases on those may not have the same dimensions. The question is, does anyone know, on a very off chance, where to find parts for these? From someone who has dropped theirs or damaged it in some other form I'm hoping. I doubt I'll ever use it, but I would like it complete. I guess I'm starting a little Hakko scope collection. I'm into all of them very cheap, so I can't complain. The one in the last photo is my favorite.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not, but best of luck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do not, but best of luck.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I was bidding against you and git tied up with something toward the end and missed getting back in to bid.   I would have gone around $150.  Would I have won?  

Rob
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
That's the first time I have seen serial numbers on Colt scopes. Of course I have not pulled the bases off mine. I wonder if they can tell us when they were made like the Armalite scopes do?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was bidding against you and git tied up with something toward the end and missed getting back in to bid.   I would have gone around $150.  Would I have won?  

Rob
View Quote
Yes $140 was my highest.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's the first time I have seen serial numbers on Colt scopes. Of course I have not pulled the bases off mine. I wonder if they can tell us when they were made like the Armalite scopes do?
View Quote
My 4x20 doesn't have a number beneath the base. It doesn't have to be pulled off to see underneath.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I had this same problem once. I think one of the knock off scope bases were close, but the big problem was the screws. It's a teeny tiny metric fine thread for the Japanese scopes that I couldn't find.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had this same problem once. I think one of the knock off scope bases were close, but the big problem was the screws. It's a teeny tiny metric fine thread for the Japanese scopes that I couldn't find.
View Quote
I'll check Fastenal for the screws. I'll remove one from one of the other scopes and try to match it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:54:41 AM EDT
[#9]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/658056_-ARCHIVED-THREAD----Restoring-a-retro-Colt-3x20-scope-anyone-.html&page=1

Read the third page of this thread for details on the screws. I had them made a while back.

"I received my final screws today and they are exact copied of the flat bottom screws. There are also tip bottom screws, but I did not send him one to blue print. I had thought it did not matter, but my scope requires one (which I already have) on the front right side. If someone requires the tip bottom screw, he is willing and able to make them. He just need an original the first time he makes it to create the blueprint. They cost $15 each or 4 for $48. You can order them directly from Scott Stonehill at [email protected] or through his website at http://www.customscrewsandmore.com/default.html"
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/658056_-ARCHIVED-THREAD----Restoring-a-retro-Colt-3x20-scope-anyone-.html&page=1

Read the third page of this thread for details on the screws. I had them made a while back.

"I received my final screws today and they are exact copied of the flat bottom screws. There are also tip bottom screws, but I did not send him one to blue print. I had thought it did not matter, but my scope requires one (which I already have) on the front right side. If someone requires the tip bottom screw, he is willing and able to make them. He just need an original the first time he makes it to create the blueprint. They cost $15 each or 4 for $48. You can order them directly from Scott Stonehill at [email protected] or through his website at http://www.customscrewsandmore.com/default.html"
View Quote
I actually remember that thread. I'm reading through the whole thing again now. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#11]
You might luck out and find a base but who knows how long that will take. Looking at the serial numbers on the bottom of the Colt scope it looks to be mfg in 1969 in the 10,000 range. The ArmaLite AR-18/180 inverted post scopes 1,000 were mfg 67 and 2-3,000 more in 71 for the Costa Mesa and Howa rifles. By the time the Sterling AR-180 started mfg in 1975 the ArmaLite scopes were no longer numbered, I'm guessing 5-6,000 Haako cross hair scopes were produced for the Sterlings. In the early 1980s Hakko started mfg of 4x20 ArmaLite scopes but the order was cancelled and less than 20 of those scopes made their way to the USA years later. Depending on the time of the production run it appears the Colt and ArmaLite scopes were the same except for the markings and bases.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Are these the kinds of scopes that clamp on to the carry handle on retro ARs?

Steve
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You might luck out and find a base but who knows how long that will take. Looking at the serial numbers on the bottom of the Colt scope it looks to be mfg in 1969 in the 10,000 range. The ArmaLite AR-18/180 inverted post scopes 1,000 were mfg 67 and 2-3,000 more in 71 for the Costa Mesa and Howa rifles. By the time the Sterling AR-180 started mfg in 1975 the ArmaLite scopes were no longer numbered, I'm guessing 5-6,000 Haako cross hair scopes were produced for the Sterlings. In the early 1980s Hakko started mfg of 4x20 ArmaLite scopes but the order was cancelled and less than 20 of those scopes made their way to the USA years later. Depending on the time of the production run it appears the Colt and ArmaLite scopes were the same except for the markings and bases.
View Quote
It's marked "3X20mm" like the AR-180 scopes, so that makes sense. Most of the others I've seen are marked either "3X20" or "4X20" only. Just eyeballing it and the 4X20 scope, it looks like the holes are in the same place and the base from that scope may fit this one, so hopefully they're all the same.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Measure the scope tube, I believe 1.18" equals 30mm. If so you can use standard 30mm rings.

Finding a replacement original style base is going to be problematic.

There are lots of carry handle mounted scope rails that will accept 30mm rings. It will not be clone correct, but will function non the less.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
30/25.4mm per inch = 1.181"
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Measure the scope tube, I believe 1.18" equals 30mm. If so you can use standard 30mm rings.

There are lots of carry handle mounted scope rails that will accept 30mm rings. It will not be clone correct, but will function non the less.
View Quote
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not an option for me. As I said, I'll likely never really use it, but I would like it to be correct. No rush to find the correct parts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not an option for me. As I said, I'll likely never really use it, but I would like it to be correct. No rush to find the correct parts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is part of the fun, the chase of the parts!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top