Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2017 5:03:48 PM EDT
I'm told that there were some very special M-16 30 round mags made by Colt in the 70's with experimental or prototype followers made of hard dark green phenolic like material.  I'd love to have some input on these, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have to wonder how many tens of thousands of magazines are laying around in Vietnam these days, in the middle of a firefight I can guarantee you, you don't police your mags, I can't even imagine how many I left in the field in the different areas I was in over the years!

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
helping out with pics...I bet these are the ones the OP is referring to

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
The problem with that site is that it shows a floorplate from a 20 round magazine tgat has ".223" on it, and claims it is from a 30 round magazine.  The Colt 62667 30 round mags all had floorplates marked "5.56".  The ONLY 30 round magazines with floorplates marked ".223" are the full curve 30 round mags, with sheet metal followers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, the ones referenced in the top of the article are the exact ones  I'm referring to.  They are very rare and I've seen them sell for anywhere from 50.00 in the past and as high as 100.00 each most recently (when you can find them).
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
helping out with pics...I bet these are the ones the OP is referring to
View Quote
Yep, these are the ones for sure and super cool thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep, the ones referenced in the top of the article are the exact ones  I'm referring to.  They are very rare and I've seen them sell for anywhere from 50.00 in the past and as high as 100.00 each most recently (when you can find them).
View Quote
Really, they are not that rare, and I have never seen one sell for $100.  I have about thirty of them, and if I could get that much, I would sell them all in a heartbeat. The RARE ones are the early full curve mags, and they go for $400-500+ each
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Really, they are not that rare, and I have never seen one sell for $100.  I have about thirty of them, and if I could get that much, I would sell them all in a heartbeat. The RARE ones are the early full curve mags, and they go for $400-500+ each
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd take one for that much lol
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Alex;

You mean you would take a FULL CURVE for that amount, right?  Otherwise, you will be INUNDATED with offers to sell you standard 62667 mags fir $100 each, lol.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Alex;

You mean you would take a FULL CURVE for that amount, right?  Otherwise, you will be INUNDATED with offers to sell you standard 62667 mags fir $100 each, lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alex;

Yes the full curve for the $400-$500 range! I have about 6 or so of the others.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just because you have 30, doesn't mean that they are not rare.  When I researched a selling price before I offer mine up for auction, the search was fruitless.... so I tossed them out there on Gunbroker with a .01 opening bid to see here the chips fell.  It sold for over $70.

There is some guy trying to get $99 (opening bid) for his well worn example for months now.  It still hasn't sold.

A couple of my nicer mags topped $100, another wasn't too far behind, and another sold for around $50 because I screwed up the auction end time.  

***by the way, when do you plan to leave feedback for that receiver you purchased from me, I know the condition would have exc ended your expectations.  Thanx.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldnt necessarily call them rare....but I would call ones in very good shape rare.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, depending on their condition you may be in for a surprise!  In very good condition (I don't have the ability or desire as I'm not looking to get into a debate to find the sales links) I have personally seen them sell in the last year for 50.00, 65.00 and the most was a recent single one sold for 100.00.  I may be wrong about the rarity as I'm no expert and maybe the buyers weren't as educated as those here, but these figures are true none the less.  It may be that their condition drove the prices and to those buying them condition mattered.  Either way after posting this thread I've learned that there is a lot of information out there about these and that they are much more scarce than the black follower ones for sure.

Thanks to all who chimed in and if you want to know for sure what they're worth (which is not what I was after here) list them and find out!  :)
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The problem with that site is that it shows a floorplate from a 20 round magazine tgat has ".223" on it, and claims it is from a 30 round magazine.  The Colt 62667 30 round mags all had floorplates marked "5.56".  The ONLY 30 round magazines with floorplates marked ".223" are the full curve 30 round mags, with sheet metal followers.
View Quote
I have one of those floor plates... just no full curve body
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:20:21 AM EDT
[#15]
One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well, depending on their condition you may be in for a surprise!  In very good condition (I don't have the ability or desire as I'm not looking to get into a debate to find the sales links) I have personally seen them sell in the last year for 50.00, 65.00 and the most was a recent single one sold for 100.00.  I may be wrong about the rarity as I'm no expert and maybe the buyers weren't as educated as those here, but these figures are true none the less.  It may be that their condition drove the prices and to those buying them condition mattered.  Either way after posting this thread I've learned that there is a lot of information out there about these and that they are much more scarce than the black follower ones for sure.

Thanks to all who chimed in and if you want to know for sure what they're worth (which is not what I was after here) list them and find out!  :)
View Quote
They really aren't that rare. A couple years ago some guy dumped hundreds (maybe thousands) of them in the EE for cheap... around $20, IIRC.

I just bought one on Gunbroker for $15 last week
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#17]
When I got out of the Army in 1990, I had 4 magazines still in my possession (and they're still in my possession now).

Three 20 round AR-15 Colt 5.56 magazines and one 30 round Adventure Line MFG. Co. Inc. I have no idea how old they are, other than I've had them since at least 1989 and they're well used, so it wouldn't shock me if they were used in Vietnam at some point.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:36:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When I got out of the Army in 1990, I had 4 magazines still in my possession (and they're still in my possession now).
View Quote
I have a lot more than 4 from when I was in the Army!

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I think it would be fair to explain the original purpose of this topic.....

I stumbled across the availability of these mags and a discussion sparked about their rarity.  Being uninformed, I started researching and found (as I previously represented) that some had sold for what I thought were sums incommensurate with what I knew Colt mags to be worth.  Not having seen many of these around, I made the mistaken assumption and related these (I guess isolated) sales figures to their rarity.  Knowing the valuable resourse that this site is, I thought it would be the perfect place to get some good information and I was right.  Clearly they are not rare if they are being sold in large quantities as it has been stated by contributors to this topic and it would appear that they are popping up for cheap if you are paying attention.  

Safe to say that at this point the purpose of this thread has run it's course and I find myself better informed!

Thanks again to all that chimed in!  :)
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wouldnt necessarily call them rare....but I would call ones in very good shape rare.
View Quote
That makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have one of those floor plates... just no full curve body
View Quote
Is your floorplate from a 20 or a 30 round magazine?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is your floorplate from a 20 or a 30 round magazine?
View Quote
It is from a 30rnd magazine
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I've got one of the dark green followers.    
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:30:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have about 8 of them that are like new, I got them off eBay years ago for $50 or so for all of them...
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Someone had posted at one time a whole red basket full of these.  I feel lucky to own 3-4
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top