BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2017 12:06:16 PM EDT
Seems like a steep price to me at $1,700, but these are supposedly rare (300ish made) and hold great collector value for the collectors out there!

Deal Here
This is a VERY RARE factory configured rifle marked AR15 Lightweight. Features fixed stock, A1 rear sight, forward assist, case deflector, 16" A1 pencil barrel, 1:9 twist, short ribbed forend, bayonet lug, and A2 birdcage flash hider.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I would question its originality. I have a AR6320 and it came with the carbine stock. I do not know if they were ever produced with an A2 stock. The best thing to do is contact Ken Elmore at Specialized Armament Warehouse to see if he had spec'd that some of the AR6320s were to be made with the A2 stock.

This is my AR6320 made on 3/11/2002.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Those are cool, but I wouldn't pay for one. It doesn't matter what I think, though. The Colt fanboi's will snap them up, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those are cool, but I wouldn't pay for one. It doesn't matter what I think, though. The Colt fanboi's will snap them up, I'm sure.
View Quote
This.

It's an ugly configuration IMO, but the cult of Colt will give them good homes.

Now, the upper alone IMO is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I just send an e-mail to Ken Elmore to check on the configuration of these AR6320s that CDNN is selling.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Back in the late '90s I saw a full A2 stocked lower with a carbine upper just like that.  Ugliest / dumbest thing I ever seen.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Back in the late '90s I saw a full A2 stocked lower with a carbine upper just like that.  Ugliest / dumbest thing I ever seen.
View Quote
Those would have been inspired by the early 651 & 652.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Not retro enough too much A2
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I say PD trade in rifles, as most of those supposedly went to police departments. Looks like someone at the department replaced the stocks. There will be a lot more of those in "civilian" hands now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Resistance is futile, it is a Colt and you will be assimilated!  

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Pencil barrels are fun, but I can build one and shoot it for years rather than spending that kind of scratch on a Colt.  

I do have one Colt that I traded for.  It doesn't shoot any different than any other platform I have.  Nobody at the range can tell it is a Colt or a $400 Frankenbuild.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

(snip)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(snip)

Quoted:
To me they just look completely wrong.  I have the following rules:

Fixed stock = rifle length = 20 round mags
Collapsible stock = carbine length = 30 round mags

I envy those of you who don't have these hang-ups.

When these crimes against humanity have been posted here before, most of the retro folks loved 'em.

Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I received  this reply from Ken Elmore about the AR6320 that CDNN is selling.

THAT is a used police gun from some PD.
They changed parts.

Take Care, Ken

Ken Elmore
Owner, Operations Supervisor
Specialized Armament (1990 - Present)
Instructor, Police & Military Weapons (1988 - Present)
Instructor, Colt Defense (1997-2007)
Sergeant, US Army (1986 - 1990)
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Can't imagine why they'd hang that dumb boat oar of a butt stock onto a carbine instead of just getting factory configured rifles.

Suppose they just bounced around in trunks for a couple decades, anyway.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#14]
That is a lot of dough for a used police trade in.  Disappointing.

I question whether the distributor or the police agency swapped the stocks.... It doesn't make fiscal sense for a police agency to spend additional $$$ to swap out these parts on a new rifle, while making the rifle less deployable from a cruiser.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That is a lot of dough for a used police trade in.  Disappointing.

I question whether the distributor or the police agency swapped the stocks.... It doesn't make fiscal sense for a police agency to spend additional $$ to swap out these parts on a new rifle, while making the rifle less deployable from a cruiser.
View Quote
It makes no sense at all. My guess is that the original carbine stock assemblies were sold off by someone at some point. The AR6320s had carbine stocks as specified by Ken at SAW. As far as what they are trying to sell these for, it is a rip-off. The last time I saw a police trade-in AR6320 for sale (2015), it was for $850. That is about all they were worth at the time in the original configuration. When the stocks were changed out on the ones CDNN is selling, they destroyed the value. Heck, they want more for those that what I paid for the original AR6320 I have that has not been fired since it left the factory and it came with a complete and unopened accessory pack. Unfortunately, the original box was water damaged and was no good. Fortunately, the Colt was not in it at the time.

I just hope that whoever is looking to buy one of these Colts does their homework. If not, they will get ripped off big time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Personally I prefer rifle length (A1 style) buttstocks over collapsible buttstocks and I will typically use them on most of my rifles by choice, even my later model carbines like the one pictured below.  There is a time and place for a collapsible buttstock but I prefer the comfort and other benefits of a rifle length buttstock over length adjustment and some storage space savings when parking your rifle.  I would use an A1 and not an A2 buttstock like they did on the above mentioned police trade-ins but I guess depending on your size and personal comfort that maybe someone would want an A2, obviously they did it on the above rifles because of that being the available standard rifle length at the time.  I find the rifle length buttstocks to be more comfortable feeling and give the rifle better balance especially if you happen to be using a M4 or heavier profile carbine length barrel.  I still like the balance better even with a lightweight barrel.  I like having the extra storage space right in the rifle and it can come in handy if you want to adjust the rifle balance to compensate for certain heavier moderators and muzzle devices.  The rifle length buffer softens the sharper recoil impulse of the carbine length gas system and can sometimes fix a carbine rifle that has certain types of cycling problems.  Does that mean that adding a rifle length buffer tube and buffer to a carbine length gas system is the real fix for a poor cycling rifle, no of course not, but it shows how the rifle length buffer system in its design performs better and shows how the carbine length buffer system regardless of what weight buffer you use is sometimes pushed to its limits and marginal in its operation.  With all that said I do use some collapsible buttstocks on certain rifles, though only the CAR-15 style and usually with a recoil pad, I despise the look of the later M4 style collapsible buttstocks.  Depending on your size and what you are wearing on a certain day the collapsible buttstock is sometimes a must for shooting comfort.

Just my own opinion on the buttstock subject.

Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't think they look all that much sillier than a 605. Obviously the 605 uses an A1 stock so it's a bit shorter, and it has full length handguards so it looks a little more balanced, but it still seems silly to have a short barrel and rifle stock

/blasphemy
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't think they look all that much sillier than a 605. Obviously the 605 uses an A1 stock so it's a bit shorter, and it has full length handguards so it looks a little more balanced, but it still seems silly to have a short barrel and rifle stock

/blasphemy
View Quote
Remember, the Model 605 was Colt's first attempt to develop a carbine. Their solution was to take an M16 and cut the barrel down to 15". That was all they did and it was a failure for the most part due to operational mishaps. The Model 607 was the next in line. Anyhow, I do agree that a full stock on a carbine does not make a lot of sense, but for some, it is appealing. Also, as I stated before, the Model 651 and 652 were early carbines with full stocks. There have been others since. It still does not explain why police departments would remove a carbine stock and replace it with an A2 stock, if in fact they did. It could have been done by someone or some company after these AR6320s were traded in. Nonetheless, they should be priced about half, or less, of what CDNN has them listed for.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I sent CDNN a message regarding these Colts in an effort to get them to adjust the price and the description they have on them. The ad is deceiving and the Colt is grossly overpriced.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Just because somethings rare doesn't automatically make it desirable
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Personally I prefer rifle length (A1 style) buttstocks over collapsible buttstocks and I will typically use them on most of my rifles by choice, even my later model carbines.  There is a time and place for a collapsible buttstock but I prefer the comfort and other benefits of a rifle length buttstock over length adjustment and some storage space savings when parking your rifle.  I would use an A1 and not an A2 buttstock like they did on the above mentioned police trade-ins but I guess depending on your size and personal comfort that maybe someone would want an A2, obviously they did it on the above rifles because of that being the available standard rifle length at the time.  I find the rifle length buttstocks to be more comfortable feeling and give the rifle better balance especially if you happen to be using a M4 or heavier profile carbine length barrel.  I still like the balance better even with a lightweight barrel.  I like having the extra storage space right in the rifle and it can come in handy if you want to adjust the rifle balance to compensate for certain heavier moderators and muzzle devices.  The rifle length buffer softens the sharper recoil impulse of the carbine length gas system and can sometimes fix a carbine rifle that has certain types of cycling problems.  Does that mean that adding a rifle length buffer tube and buffer to a carbine length gas system is the real fix for a poor cycling rifle, no of course not, but it shows how the rifle length buffer system in its design performs better and shows how the carbine length buffer system regardless of what weight buffer you use is sometimes pushed to its limits and marginal in its operation.  With all that said I do use some collapsible buttstocks on certain rifles, though only the CAR-15 style and usually with a recoil pad, I despise the look of the later M4 style collapsible buttstocks.  Depending on your size and what you are wearing on a certain day the collapsible buttstock is sometimes a must for shooting comfort.

Just my own opinion on the buttstock subject.
View Quote
I agree. I used to think fixed stock carbines looked silly too, then I tried one - I think I went to test a weapon and only had an A1 stock... anyway, with a GP style sling, they are incredibly comfortable and fast handling. In fact, I now prefer a fixed stock carbine by far. A fixed stock, (A1 NOT A2) M4 is a joy forever.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I distinctly remember these being available in the 1990s.  I don't think they were rare, but I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Jrs93accord,  does your 6320 have a m16 bolt carrier or does it have the neutered half moon like the ones at cdnn?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Jrs93accord,  does your 6320 have a m16 bolt carrier or does it have the neutered half moon like the ones at cdnn?
View Quote
half moon shaped BCG.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I distinctly remember these being available in the 1990s.  I don't think they were rare, but I may be wrong.
View Quote
According to Ken Elmore, the AR6320s were not produced until late 2001-2002. These were part of a Colt Special Weapons order placed by Specialized Armament Warehouse in 2001. There was, in fact, only 300 ever made, but they were all made with carbine buttstocks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I hope they do drop the price as I would like to add one to my collection but not for that kind of dough.  

What would be the proper buffer tube, 4 position and current black color?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I hope they do drop the price as I would like to add one to my collection but not for that kind of dough.  

What would be the proper buffer tube, 4 position and current black color?
View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Are you saying these rifles CDNN is selling are not 6320's?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Are you saying these rifles CDNN is selling are not 6320's?
View Quote
They are 6320's but the butt stock is not correct for what left the factory.  They should have a collapsible m4 "waffle" butt stock on them not a fixed a2.  Can anyone confirm the handguards on the CDNN rifles are correct for the 6320?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#30]
After looking at CDNN's website they do have a 6320 with the proper stock on it for $2500  I also has a very purpley looking upper on it.  https://www.cdnnsports.com/colt-6320-ar15-a1-lightweight-restrict-adj-le-used.html?___SID=U
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They are 6320's but the butt stock is not correct for what left the factory.  They should have a collapsible m4 "waffle" butt stock on them not a fixed a2.  Can anyone confirm the handguards on the CDNN rifles are correct for the 6320?
View Quote
The CAR handguards are correct.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
After looking at CDNN's website they do have a 6320 with the proper stock on it for $2500  I also has a very purpley looking upper on it.  https://www.cdnnsports.com/colt-6320-ar15-a1-lightweight-restrict-adj-le-used.html?___SID=U
View Quote
I do not know why the anodizing has turned purple on that one. That is a puzzle. I do know that the price is way to high for that one as well. That is almost what a NIB one would go for on the low side. Heck, I paid almost $900 less for mine and you can see what mine looks like and that is because it has never been used or fired since it left Colt. CDNN has really over-inflated the value of these particular AR6320s. I hope no one buys one from them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#33]
The handguards on the CDNN rifle looked like m4, I count 7 holes in them.  I thought the Colt skinnys only had 6.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
It actually shoots reall really well.  B ut this is a midlength lw.  Probably my favorite set up

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Look at th castle but.  It appears to have been wrenched, and itt is not staked.  

Isn't the stock supposed to be M4?

CDNN is sinking to a new low.... sad when a large volume vender starts acting like your your typical gun show con-artist.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The handguards on the CDNN rifle looked like m4, I count 7 holes in them.  I thought the Colt skinnys only had 6.
View Quote
They should be the 6-hole CAR handguards, not M4 handguards.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Look at th castle but.  It appears to have been wrenched, and itt is not staked.  

CDNN is sinking to a new low.... sad when a large volume vender starts acting like your your typical gun show con-artist.
View Quote
The stock is supposed to be a 4th Gen stock (waffle type).
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm an idiot, I knew that.  I think I saw a collapsible and then the price and it got me
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They should be the 6-hole CAR handguards, not M4 handguards.
View Quote
The fixed stock rifles may have correct hand guards, if they are skinny profile 7 hole.  

It is common knowledge that Colt offered carbines with fixed stocks in the early to mid 1990s.  I had a 7.62x39 made in 1993 that came with an A2 stock from the factory.

Is it possible that a contact run of 6320s were sold with fixed stocks?  I wouldn't personally rule it out.  I don't see how it would be more profitable for CDNN to remove Colt carbine receiver extension and M4 stocks, and replace them with an A2 set.

That said, that bastardized carbine offered for $2500 definitely casts serious doubt on what the heck the buyer will end up with when any of these 6320s arrive at the buyer's FFL!  At $1000 the purchase may be a gamble.  At $1700, the purchase is retarded.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#40]
double post
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The fixed stock rifles may have correct hand guards, if they are skinny profile 7 hole.  

It is common knowledge that Colt offered carbines with fixed stocks in the early to mid 1990s.  I had a 7.62x39 made in 1993 that came with an A2 stock from the factory.

Is it possible that a contact run of 6930s were sold with fixed stocks?  I wouldn't personally rule it out.  I don't see how it would be more profitable for CDNN to remove Colt carbine receiver extension and M4 stocks, and replace them with an A2 set.

That said, that bastardized carbine offered for $2500 definitely casts serious doubt on what the heck the buyer will end up with when any of these 6930s arrive at the buyer's FFL!  At $1000 the purchase may be a gamble.  At $1700, the purchase is retarded.
View Quote
They are not 6930s that we are discussing. It is the AR6320. There is no 6930. Like I said before, I have contacted the man who is the authority on the AR6320, Ken Elmore, and got the straight scoop from him. He is the one who designed this model and sent the specs to Colt for Special Weapons production.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Judging by the pictures that CDNN has in their listing, the A2 buttstock and buffer tube appears to be brand new, as compared to the rest of the rifle anyhow, atleast on the one pictured.  I think the simple answer is the A2 buttstocks were just put on for some reason.  Maybe the thought of some sort of compliance issue with a collapsible buttstock, like California, or possibly whatever LE that had them wanted rifle buttstocks and converted them recently.

I don't really think the buttstock is a deal breaker since that could easily be changed.  I think the price is the bigger concern in this case.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They are not 6930s that we are discussing. It is the AR6320. There is no 6930. Like I said before, I have contacted the man who is the authority on the AR6320, Ken Elmore, and got the straight scoop from him. He is the one who designed this model and sent the specs to Colt for Special Weapons production.
View Quote
For f's sake, sorry about the typo.  

Anyway……

This is the quote you received from Mr. Elmore,

THAT is a used police gun from some PD.
They changed parts.

Take Care, Ken

So you think that quantifies as the "straight scoop" in regard to the originality of the rifle stock?  That is funny.  The "straight scoop" that I get from that response is that Ken likely has more important things to think about, and cordially gave you a "no s#&t" answer.  

It is common knowledge that Colt has manufactured special confirmations for an agency, dependent upon quantity ordered.  I'm not saying that the fixed stocks are factory.  But it is completely plausible that the fixed stocks may be original.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#44]
CDNN didn't make any modifications to the Colt AR6320's currently for sale. The guns are LE trade-in and are in excellent shape. At no point did we say they were part of the magical "300" that jrs93accord's collection must revolve around...

If you have any quesstions, http://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Serial-Number-Lookup is a great resource, or you can always reach our friendly staff at 1-800-588-9500.

Best-

CDNN Staff
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I do not know why the anodizing has turned purple on that one. That is a puzzle. I do know that the price is way to high for that one as well. That is almost what a NIB one would go for on the low side. Heck, I paid almost $900 less for mine and you can see what mine looks like and that is because it has never been used or fired since it left Colt. CDNN has really over-inflated the value of these particular AR6320s. I hope no one buys one from them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's common for anodizing to turn purple if left in the sun a lot (I see it all the time on motorcycle stuff, especially cheap China stuff)
Quoted:
Judging by the pictures that CDNN has in their listing, the A2 buttstock and buffer tube appears to be brand new, as compared to the rest of the rifle anyhow, atleast on the one pictured.  I think the simple answer is the A2 buttstocks were just put on for some reason.  Maybe the thought of some sort of compliance issue with a collapsible buttstock, like California, or possibly whatever LE that had them wanted rifle buttstocks and converted them recently.

I don't really think the buttstock is a deal breaker since that could easily be changed.  I think the price is the bigger concern in this case.
California doesn't care what stock you have on a normal AR. ANY evil feature + detachable magazine (through last year)/no fixed magazine (now) = AW, and there's no law prohibiting you from making assault weapons more assaulty.

Under the Federal ban, it would matter (but pistol grip + flash hider = AW too), maybe some other states use something like that, but the failed state I live in doesn't.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
CDNN didn't make any modifications to the Colt AR6320's currently for sale. The guns are LE trade-in and are in excellent shape. At no point did we say they were part of the magical "300" that jrs93accord's collection must revolve around...

If you have any quesstions, http://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Serial-Number-Lookup is a great resource, or you can always reach our friendly staff at 1-800-588-9500.

Best-

CDNN Staff
View Quote
Regardless, they are grossly overpriced for what they are. Additionally, why do you guys describe them as rare if they are not part of the magical "300" as you call them? There were 300 AR6320s made per order from Specialized Armament Warehouse's order. Did anyone at CDNN verify where these 6320s came from and how many were made in that configuration if they were, in fact, not part of the 300 made for Specialized Armament Warehouse? It seems to me that CDNN is trying to capitalize on the AR6320 rareness by selling used police trade-ins that have been modified and no longer in original condition. As I have said, these should not be selling for anymore than $850 or less.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#47]
News flash...they made more than 300 Colt AR6320's. Please check your facts.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here is what Ken Elmore sent me a little while back when I inquired about the AR6320s.

There were 300 ordered, but Colt only built 297.

ZERO were produced for civilian sales.  You can see the restricted markings on your gun.

That was the LAW in 2002 (1994-2004) – a private citizen could NOT buy that gun at all.

Nice piece of history.

I have 5 or 6 in my collection plus the original proto-type.

I have all the records on these guns.  The vast majority went to police agencies.

The State of New Mexico was the biggest single purchaser.

Some went to individual police officers.  

We still had a few dozen of the 6320’s in our warehouse when the ban ended in SEP of 2004.

Cheers, Ken

Ken Elmore
Owner, Engineer, Operations Supervisor
Specialized Armament (1990 - Present)
Instructor, Police & Military Weapons (1988 - Present)
Instructor, Colt Defense (1997-2007)
Sergeant, US Army (1986 - 1990)

If you have any other information to substantiate that there were more AR6320s made that what Ken Elmore has verified, I would like to see it. I do not mean to get into a pissing match, but the proof is in the pudding as they say. I went directly to the man responsible for the AR6320 development, procurement, and distribution.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I wouldn't give more than $750 for a new one in its original configuration. There's nothing special or forward thinking about the design at all. Now the seller is telling us they're not even rare?! Really scratching my head at the imagined appeal of these.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Best-

CDNN Staff
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Best-

CDNN Staff
Do you not see the irony in you posting a condescending remark to jrs93accord's post and then saying you have a "friendly staff"?

Quoted:
Jrs93accord posted the info from the place that procured the 6320's saying that there were only 297 produced, yet you say they were more with no source cited. Makes you out to look unscrupulous.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top