Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I got the scope yesterday. It's a POS, but better than I expected for the price. Good enough to check out my barrel. I think it is okay.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/96324/IMG-8534-158773.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/96324/IMG-8532-158772.png
View Quote
Looks golden!  Outstanding!
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone returned the barrel(s) to Brownells?  I received a mailing label but I'm still waiting for an alternate means of checking the bore.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I sent mine back last week, they received it on 3/3. No word from Brownells yet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I sent mine back last week with a note saying to return it to me if it's OK, or to place me on the backorder list if not. They received it on 3/3, no word from Brownells yet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I had my four barrels checked out. They are fine. We could see no burr or anything wrong. I was happy about that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered one, AR-15 20" A1 RIFLE BARREL 1-12 BBL, just before the announcement and have had it a few days now.  I also ordered a small cheap CrazyFire 5.5 endoscope on Amazon.

I pushed a small piece of paper towel just before the gas port and was able to take decent pictures once I figured out it's focal range and how much light to use.  I can see that the drill made contact with the other side damaging a small section on the edge of a land and a small mark in the groove.

I would think that the gas port cutting through a land would make more of a difference in accuracy than this defect.

Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought > this < Ballistic Advantage barrel last November and just yesterday I looked down into the gas port with a flashlight pointed down either end of the barrel, I can clearly see a dimple on the side directly opposite of the gas port.

This barrel has also failed the "GO" gauge with both an LMT Enhanced bolt and a lightly used Colt bolt.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know whos making these barrels for Brownell's?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Edit- Just got a response from Brownells.  Hoping for 60-90days
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does anyone know who's making these barrels for Brownell's?
View Quote

Ballistic Advantage.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does anyone know whos making these barrels for Brownell's?
View Quote

Is that for them to inspect the barrel, or the estimate when they'll have a replacement available?   This does not look promising. And, if I read correctly, there might be chamber issues with these barrels as well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Edit- Just got a response from Brownells.  Hoping for 60-90days
View Quote

I guess they don't have any control over availability, and I can hardly fault Brownells, since they have accepted responsibility. But that still blows. I hope you get it soon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like I'll return my barrel as well. My local guy didn't work out.  The wait begins.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#14]
This morning, I took out the upper assembly that I built with the Brownells barrel and it did great. No issues and accuracy was really good.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This morning, I took out the upper assembly that I built with the Brownells barrel and it did great. No issues and accuracy was really good.
View Quote

Where are the pics?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Where are the pics?
View Quote

I am not one to take pics at the range, especially if I am by myself. Here is the upper assembly. It has a Colt C K marked upper receiver.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:02:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I ordered one, AR-15 20" A1 RIFLE BARREL 1-12 BBL, just before the announcement and have had it a few days now.  I also ordered a small cheap CrazyFire 5.5 endoscope on Amazon.

I pushed a small piece of paper towel just before the gas port and was able to take decent pictures once I figured out it's focal range and how much light to use.  I can see that the drill made contact with the other side damaging a small section on the edge of a land and a small mark in the groove.

I would think that the gas port cutting through a land would make more of a difference in accuracy than this defect.

http://i.imgur.com/vQy3FAj.jpg
View Quote

Nice detailed pic!

If it was my barrel I'd just shoot it.

Would be very interesting to see pics at 500 rnd intervals.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm hoping for the best now.  I sent my A1 barrel assembly back to Bronwell's today.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quick update on the barrels, the entire inventory we had on-hand has been inspected & barrels with the blemish have been identified.  
The barrels will be back on our website shortly.  For those of you that sent in your barrel, if it checks out, we'll get those back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you all for the patience on these barrels, not only with this blemish, but also with the initial wait time.

On another note, Receivers should be back in-stock soon.
View Quote
This is good news. I need another 20" 1/12 barrel for a new build. I am very happy with the last Brownells 20" 1/12 barrel I received a few months ago. It shoots great.

ETA: I just put the barrel on backorder.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Any word on the 20" 1/7 A1 barrels?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any word on the 20" 1/7 A1 barrels?
View Quote
This lol. Last part I need. Seems like it has been forever waiting on these. 
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quick update on the barrels, the entire inventory we had on-hand has been inspected & barrels with the blemish have been identified.  
The barrels will be back on our website shortly.  For those of you that sent in your barrel, if it checks out, we'll get those back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you all for the patience on these barrels, not only with this blemish, but also with the initial wait time.

View Quote
^^^THIS^^^ once again shows what an awesome company Brownells is. Not only did they call attention to a problem that some vendors would hope would go unnoticed, or chalk up as "just a minor cosmetic issue", they followed through with a thorough and very fair resolution.

Bravo Brownells, your ongoing business ethics continues to impress!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#24]
This is good news. After a delay due to bad weather, my barrel was finally on its way back to brownell's yesterday.  Hope I hear something positive by next week.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are we talking uppers or lowers?

And I know "soon" is a loaded word on this website.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#26]
When I got on the waiting list for Nodak Spud, they told me early April uppers and lowers would become available. This was the end of February.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I just received an email from Karen at Brownell's. She has informed me my barrel has been inspected by the Brownell's tech's and found no defects as reported in their recall. They will be returning my barrel assembly asap.  Good news.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I was not so lucky, I was notified that mine was defective and will be back ordered. At any rate, I thank Brownells for producing these and taking care of the issue. I just hope that I don't have to wait too long.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was not so lucky, I was notified that mine was defective and will be back ordered. At any rate, I thank Brownells for producing these and taking care of the issue. I just hope that I don't have to wait too long.
View Quote
Did they give you an idea how long of a wait?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#31]
The person I spoke to on the phone said 2-3 months, but the way she said it made me think that was just a guesstimate. Bummer, cause it's the only part I'm missing for my A1 build.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I was temped to order one and have my current barrel cut down for an IDF clone.

OOS saved me some money.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I got the scope yesterday. It's a POS, but better than I expected for the price. Good enough to check out my barrel. I think it is okay.
View Quote
You can probably save big bucks on a colonoscopy now. Who needs medical school?!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I got my barrel back from Brownell's this evening. Now I can move forward with this project.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#35]
On 3/17/2017 when Brownells said that "the barrels will be back on our website shortly" what exactly did that mean?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#36]
It looks like you can back order the 20" 1/7 A1 barrels now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:20:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It looks like you can back order the 20" 1/7 A1 barrels now.
View Quote
Just put one on backorder. I'm thinking they will sell out quick.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Just put one on backorder. I'm thinking they will sell out quick.
View Quote
I also put one on back order and ordered some other small items at the same time, though the very next day Brownells informed me that the charge would not go through on my card... Sure enough my debit card had been frozen due to a one dollar fraud charge to my account. So, I guess I will miss out on these since I have to wait on a new debit card to show up. I'm really pissed about it too, especially since I've waited so long for these barrels to show up.

I also think these barrels will be gone before they have a chance to put them on the site as "in stock".
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

We're talking both uppers & lowers.  Both are currently being machined, with uppers likely showing back in-stock mid-April.  Lowers will follow after that in April/early-May.
View Quote
Alright, it's pretty much mid-April... Where are the uppers?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#40]
A1 uppers are in stock... GO!

I guess Brownells doesn't want to keep us updated anymore.

I'm hoping that they have fixed all of the problems that they had with the last batch... Like not fitting on Anderson lowers and the slot in the carry handle not being machined to the correct dimensions.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Yep, A1 uppers back in stock and all the blemished barrels for cheaper. And free shipping today.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yep, A1 uppers back in stock and all the blemished barrels for cheaper. And free shipping today.
View Quote
I thought that they inspected and pulled all of the blemished barrels?

I think the ones that just went back up on the site are the ones that passed inspection... I could be wrong though.

Edit: I just checked the site, they are indeed the blemished barrels.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A1 uppers are in stock... GO!
View Quote
Opinions abound, but in mine, that's far too expensive for a stripped upper receiver.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Opinions abound, but in mine, that's far too expensive for a stripped upper receiver.
View Quote
NoDak's price is actually $10.00 more right now, I don't know where else to go for new A1 uppers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Will mounts work on those uppers? Some reviews complained the carry handle is too narrow. I seem to remember blems like that
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I thought that they inspected and pulled all of the blemished barrels?

I think the ones that just went back up on the site are the ones that passed inspection... I could be wrong though.

Edit: I just checked the site, they are indeed the blemished barrels.
View Quote
Yea yall just cost me $174 by saving me so much money.

Hard to pass up a 14.7" complete for that price.

The spacer on my 652 has been bothering me. This will make me feel better.

I'm sure the barrel with the spacer will grow into something.

Leave a few parts alone in the dark and the next thing you know you have another 2 builds started.

2 years 9 months to retirement! I'll be needing plenty of projects to keep me married!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The issue some had with the carry handle cut is corrected on this batch.  These will also fit Anderson lower receivers.
View Quote
Thank you. I ordered one regardless, but nice to know that is not an issue.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The issue some had with the carry handle cut is corrected on this batch.  These will also fit Anderson lower receivers.
View Quote
Thanks for the update. This will make my brother very happy because he has a bunch of Anderson lowers even though I warned him to avoid them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Do you have a ETIC or WAG on the 078-101-142WB AR-15 M16A1 Ejection Port Cover Assembly Mfr Part: A1EPC?

Many Thanks.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top