Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2017 7:08:00 PM EDT
Okay it takes place in 1971, pretty rare since the Nams  was still on going. I was at Kadena airbase and I heard nothing.....

RON K.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah looking forward to seeing them break out the cool stuff
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Rando shoots gleaned from the interwebs.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Only the soldiers look somewhat retro (1971).  Everyone else looks like modern clothes and hair styles.  That isn't the 1971 hair or clothes I remember.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

A lot of slick side lower receivers.  Guess they are using some SP1s.  And some with A1 forward assist uppers.  Looks like he swapped rifles at some point in different scenes also, pictures 1 & 4 have a forward assist but picture 2 does not have a forward assist.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks cool! I'll watch just for the retro goodness.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#6]
My son just showed me an extended trailer and there was also some retro shotguns in the film as well
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#7]
They got an M203! They have an M203! Okay, I need to see this movie. I just built an M203. I need to post some pics soon of my builds.

When does this movie come out? I keep seeing commercials and looks good. Might be one I go and pay to see.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank god Jack Black aint in this one!

I hope John C. Reilly won't screw this one up!
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:11:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Now we know who ended up buying some SP-1's;; they just went up 200 buck's.. Will see this one just for the gun action.

glad somebody posted the pic's. RON K.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#10]
For an accurate portrayal of 1971, there needs to be longer hair and more mustaches!
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#11]
1971, granted I was only 6, but was only 900 miles from the fighting, and from what I recall there was a lot more hair
on the civies.

The lead limey actor was great in The Night Manager.  Excellent series.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember 1971. Chicks are hotter now. Um. Three prong flash hiders on those rifles. Gotta say something retro...
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Did anyone else notice what seemed to be a B17/B24 ball turret being used in a fight scene? Between that and the retro's, I'll be seeing the movie for sure.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did anyone else notice what seemed to be a B17/B24 ball turret being used in a fight scene? Between that and the retro's, I'll be seeing the movie for sure.
View Quote

Love the retro goodness of the weapons. Cartoon monkeys not so much.
How many times are they going to remake this film?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks awesome!
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How many times are they going to remake this film?
View Quote

The 2005 one with Naomi (I Moan) Watts would have been THE quintessential King Kong movie if ONLY they had cast ANYONE other than Jack Black. (seriously PeeWee Herman would have been a better casting choice!)

It was an incredible homage to the original which is an incredible and historic piece of film work!

Jack Black just shat all over the production in every cell of film he appeared in and absolutely RUINED what would have been as near perfect retelling of the original as could ever be made!

The 70's remake was at heart a crappy 70's movie. "Evil oil companies" and pushing eco "messaging".

Countless other claptrap productions have been made.

Mighty Joe Young and other imitators.

I will NEVER forgive Jack Black for killing that movie or Peter Jackson for allowing him to be in it.

What were they thinking? It's friggin Jack Black! The "alleged comedian"!

What made someone say "You know who would be PERFECT for the role of Carl Denham? The Nacho Libre guy!"  

Rant off.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#17]
It's pretty good.

There are a few close up shots that shows, at least a few of the ARs are airsoft
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The lead limey actor was great in The Night Manager.  Excellent series.
View Quote
Fassbender is great.  He has had some roles in otherwise unworthy movies where he was on another level.

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Fassbender is great.  He has had some roles in otherwise unworthy movies where he was on another level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNDXTa6KNLQ
View Quote
I could always listen to Michael Fassbender speak German

Inglorious Basterds Bar Shootout
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNDXTa6KNLQ
View Quote
Wut.

Tom Hiddleston is in Kong, not Fassbender...
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Just watched it. The scenes with Kong and the other creatures are good. However typical Hollywood crap where American soldiers are morons and guns don't do damage.

Flare guns and cigarette lighters can hurt creatures. One of the soldiers is carrying a milled Ak47 (prop) in some scenes, but it switches to a stamped Maadi when needed to fire. Sam Jackson's has an M14 one minute and an M1A the next.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Yea the weapons were oddball. The AK was a joke.

I didn't pause the flick but there were a few shots with the port door open and the bolts were clearly not USGI.

On the cinematic side of it........

Good GAWD what a horrible shite show this was!

I didn't expect an Oscar nominee for Best Picture but JEEbus it was pretty bad!

"Over cast and under acted" as one review I read stated it. That pretty much sums it up.

Kong is (according to IMDB) 104 FEET TALL! (Had to explain to the wife why 5.56 rounds on a 104' tall ape would be like sand blasting a typical man and that's why he didn't fall out after multiple mag dumps on his hairy butt.)

I guess this is basically a nod to the Japanese Kong movies of the 60's and there is a Kong vs. Godzilla sequel planned.

Considering the movies that inspired this, they could have saved BUTT tons of money by hiring unknown actors and having more fun with the script! That would have made a better homage to the original Japanese Kong/Godzilla movies.

Those were light in the script too but it was all tongue in cheek and intentionally campy type stuff instead of trying to "act" like this was the original drama of 1933 instead of the goofy, fun, 60's Mothra/Gamera/Rodan/Godzilla fare from my misspent youth!

Had they approached this like Iron Man for instance with a bit of good natured fun it would have been a killer movie!

It was visually spectacular so not a total waste.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top