Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2017 11:00:01 PM EDT
Doh I bought a tactical machining 80% lower and had it reprofiled, engraved and anodized. Well to find out the whole thing was a complete waist of money. Pivot pin detent was drilled off center as well as the pivot pin hole. Do yourself a favor before you make the same mistake as me and spend a ton of money to make a paperweight. Buy from a reputable company and test for fit before sending it off for work
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
damn.  sorry to hear that.  m60 joe can probably fix it but it won't be cheap.  plus the repaired area won't anodize the same.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell I did SBR paperwork on one that was out of spec (wasn't an 80%).  Always check a lower before you do something extra.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#3]
can you post a picture? 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]
What a waist!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:13:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a lower from a company well-loved on this forum, and just "knew" there wouldn't be any fitment problems with my Colt 604 upper, which I've used on several other lowers with no problems. However, after completely assembling the thing, I found out that the upper and lower wouldn't fit together unless forced closed, and even then the take down pin would only go in half way. It was pretty disappointing, but I always try to learn from such things.

My new methodology for AR lowers is to test-pin the upper and lower together, before anything else is done. I've been tempted to take the upper along with me when purchasing a lower, to try the fit before buying, but I doubt that the seller would appreciate that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Ouch. Sorry to hear. I thought TMC was GTG from earlier reviews. Guess not.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I had some with holes not drilled at all. Sucks op
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Would one of these work?  It's a late Colt SPII small pivot pin with screw. No detent needed.

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Unfortunately that would look incorrect for an early XM16E1.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unfortunately that would look incorrect for an early XM16E1.
View Quote

Agreed, but I thought it might salvage the lower vs trashing it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I had this happen with a different company. They made in right by replacing it with a free one & noted they had a box of them fall....sure, I wasted time, but I was able to redo it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the same thing happen to me. I purchased several 80% blem lowers that were advertised with the pivot pin hole drilled off center. They were a screaming deal at $15 a piece. To fix it, I just squirt some JB weld down the hole to fill it up and let it cure till I am ready to machine it out. I then redrill the hole on center and it works pretty well.

I would like to try that SP1 pin in one of my lowers that @Fortis120 is offering. I have an SP1 build planned and that would work well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#13]
That's not a SP1 or 2, they were all .311".
That IS a Colt product used on various later commercial models, a MT6700C for sure. 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's not a SP1 or 2, they were all .311".
That IS a Colt product used on various later commercial models, a MT6700C for sure. 
View Quote

It was from a Sporter lightweight
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:35:34 AM EDT
[#15]
How bad off is it? Could you just oval out the hole a little, or file down the pin?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#16]
That's why I like the 80%'s with the take down pocket milled so you can test fit it before you fornicate with it.

Usually have to do some fine file work on the pocket to get the rear lug to fit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Yah it's a costly lesson I'll never make again! I've done far worse lol with attempts at gunsmithing.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#18]
how far off is it you might look at JP microfit takedown pins 

http://jprifles.com/1.2.7_Receivers.php

MicroFit™ Takedown PinsWhat's your poor receiver fit costing you?Sloppy receiver fit is annoying and cheapens the feel of your rifle. It also hamstrings your rifle's accuracy potential. Then, there're receivers that are too tight thanks to finish buildup like Cerakote.JP MicroFit™ Takedown Pins are the answer to poor receiver fit. Available in standard, oversized and undersized, MicroFit™ pins provide a receiver fit that satisfies by compensating for the loose or tight fit that can't be helped.A good receiver fit should be snug but not frustratingly tight. That was the goal with our original JP Tension Pin, but MicroFit™ pins provide the same result without tool-assisted takedown. For all but the very sloppiest receivers, MicroFit™ is your ticket to a more refined rifle.Now standard on all JP rifles, MicroFit™ pins receive the same polished black QPQ coating as our bolt carriers for high durability, corrosion resistance and of course, sheet prettiness.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/02/24/loose-ar-receivers-jp-enterprises-fixed-microfit-pins/
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top