Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2017 5:48:46 PM EDT
I've decided to start an M16-A1 build and have a few questions.  I'm not concerned with chasing down all Colt parts but would like to stay fairly accurate with the small parts as far as looks go. What would be a good bolt carrier group to use?  This is my first retro rifle but all my other ARs have Young Mfg. carriers and I've been happy with them.  Does Young make one that would be suitable for an A1?  Do I just need a standard F/A black phosphate carrier?  Also, how about lower receiver parts kits.  I know the selector should not have the tick mark on the right side.  Any other differences from say a modern Rock River Arms parts kit?  Were they gray instead of black?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact Slim at Indiana Army Surplus (812-275-2801) about a lower parts kit. They may still have some originals left. Most any lower parts kit will suffice, but the parts should have a gray looking finish to them. Sometimes, spraying them with Gun Scrubber will help do this. Others have used Naval Jelly. A M16 parts kit (except for the auto-sear) can be used, but a few parts have to be modified. As far as a BCG goes, you can use a standard phosphate-coated M16 BCG. I have seen come Colt BCGs ("C" marked) on the EE lately.

The asterisks denote the differences in the M16 and the AR-15 FCG.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top