Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 10:03:29 PM EDT
I think we've all seen and lusted after this little beauty before haven't we?

WELL I am one step closer to fulfilling my dream of having one. (Not dead nuts on but close)

This will be using a modern midlength lightweight barrel so the handguard is one scallop shorter than the original. 8 instead of the 9 depicted and it sits more centered at the rear than the original because I'm using a 607 rear cap.

The barrel is 14.7" and I will pin and weld the improved 3 prong to make up for the shorter handguards. Overall this will be shorter than the original but the barrel forward the FSB will still be about the same as the prototype. The "shorter" will be in the handguard area.  

Not QUITE perfect but close enough for government work and I can still mount the pig sticker on it!

Going to have to send an 80% off to Braceman for a fence shave and some engraving to make it even better. Looks slick sided in the picture but I'll probably do a partial.

Does anyone know what the roll marks next to the pony are? Book says CAR15 but the picture sucks and you can't make out any details.

My GX barrel got circumcised too so that's TWO projects getting a little love after a year or so on the back burner.

How would one go about a 4 position selector?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Cal,

I found an ebook of The Black Rifle online. I found that image in the book and zoomed in on the mag well markings. It appears to be exactly the same as for a 602 (Model 02). The SEMI and AUTO positions were actually REVERSED, and the fourth position is for a "2Burst" setting. The big white blob in the image must cover the usual "Property of U.S. Government" roll marks for a 602. Best I can do for you.

Good Link

Four position kit here

Since you can only use a neutered M16 selector, why not make one? Use a standard USGI M16 selector, have the thumb rest milled off, add a fourth hole and the "raceway to the fourth position, and have a good machinist mill you a new, more accurate thumb rest to be screwed and welding onto the remainder of the selector. Just weld over any "showing" portions of the attachment screw.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]
In the new Vickers book there are good close ups, I can email you some later if you like. The markings were milled out. There is also a M VP mark on the side of the barrel midway between the FSB and the 3 prong. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the new Vickers book there are good close ups, I can email you some later if you like. The markings were milled out. There is also a M VP mark on the side of the barrel midway between the FSB and the 3 prong. 
View Quote
On the 4 position selector, I think they are hardened, Jerrell or or one of the other folks that have dimpled them could help, but Id bet just anneal it, cut the detent groove and add another dimple. f annealing wasn't the route to go maybe grind, or file the groove and use a carbide bit to dimple. I know if those grooves and dimples aren't just right though the selector will let you know for sure. 

Dang I wish I wasn't so backed up on projects so I could build one too

I will though eventually. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks very much Gentlemen! I look forward to the pics Matt,

Retroguy THAT'S a spendy solution!

Yeah I mean't to say "how do you go about modding a USGI selector to spin 4 ways and not make me go to jail and marry the man with the most cigarettes!"

The standard external profile is fine with me. It's impossible to tell from that picture but I would THINK, since it's a prototype that never came close to production, it's a modified selector. The one in the link is new stuff and probably has a different external profile so the user can tell it's "something different" than a 3 position.

The markings on what you posted are different from the prototype too.

Honestly I'll probably have it engraved "properly" like the prototype and just run an unmodified selector.

Why? Because it's CHEAPER! AND EASIER! (And I'm cheap and lazy!)

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Cal,

Understood, HOWEVER, I do NOT think a decent gunsmith who charge much more than $100.00 to get it done. Since you do not mind the appearance of today's current selectors, as opposed to yesterday's fancier four-way selectors, then it should be WAY less, since only a detent stop and the "pathway" need to be done.

I have seven rifles in process, three of them retros. I fully understand about spending funds. For me, I go all out for as much true authenticity as I can afford. To each their own. Congrats on even thinking of doing this project. It was PURE GENIUS to even attempt to use a 16" mid-length barrel. I probably would not have thought of that in the first pass, or even the second.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cal,

Understood, HOWEVER, I do NOT think a decent gunsmith who charge much more than $100.00 to get it done. Since you do not mind the appearance of today's current selectors, as opposed to yesterday's fancier four-way selectors, then it should be WAY less, since only a detent stop and the "pathway" need to be done.

I have seven rifles in process, three of them retros. I fully understand about spending funds. For me, I go all out for as much true authenticity as I can afford. To each their own. Congrats on even thinking of doing this project. It was PURE GENIUS to even attempt to use a 16" mid-length barrel. I probably would not have thought of that in the first pass, or even the second.
View Quote

I'm hoping the new Vickers book will prove to have more visual info on this model i.e. roll marks, selector and pins et al.

I'll worry first about the roll marks and after that I can worry about selectors and dimpled pins and such later on down the road,

The handguards are shorter out of necessity so this sucker will NEVER be a perfect clone but I did this once with a 16 inch, .750" under the FSB barrel and I LOVED how it handled! (Never did shoot it before I pulled it due to the .750" eating at my OCD RBRD!)

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top