Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2017 12:24:33 PM EDT
Does anyone out there make a close resemblance of the drum mag used on the Stoners during the Vietnam war?  I'd like to find something that will work with my Rob Arms M96.

Thanks

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I think one of those 120 round Norinco drums would be pretty similar.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Brunnels.

Anyone have a real one or good pics of a real one for comps?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is a few pics from a website that sold them.

Fun Fact: This is the drum that Call of Duty used for the L86 LSW in Modern Warfare  series. They desperately wanted to make it a machine gun (or rather, make a new level 1 machine gun by modifying L85 model), but the standard 30-round mags wouldn't cut it, Beta-C's wouldn't fit, and the only other drums were 50 rounds. The drum inaccurately holds 100 rounds in game and is missing the guiding "ribs" on the front.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Zman, I was asking for an original Stoner drum mag, but I bookmarked that site.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
This might help.

Stoner 63
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice.  That's the best pic Ive seen yet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#7]
These should help.

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#8]
NAILED IT!  

Thanks Ord.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow ordnance, that is a SUPERB example of one of the drums. What is the value of one of these drums if I ever run across one?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:02:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the value of one of these drums if I ever run across one?
View Quote

We should probably page SgtHatred to the white courtesy phone on this one.  Sam is the guru of all things Stoner and could give a better answer than I can but I have heard of asking prices as high as $4K to $5K.  I'm not sure that any actually sell for that much, though.  I if recall correctly, he might have done a small run of reproduction drums a few years ago.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We should probably page SgtHatred to the white courtesy phone on this one.  Sam is the guru of all things Stoner and could give a better answer than I can but I have heard of asking prices as high as $4K to $5K.  I'm not sure that any actually sell for that much, though.  I if recall correctly, he might have done a small run of reproduction drums a few years ago.
View Quote
If you want to page someone to the courtesy phone, with the new board all you have to do is put the @ symbol in front of their name. This will give them an IM-like notification the next time they log in that someone "mentioned" them in a post and will give them a link to that post.

@ordnance
@sgthatred
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Id be interested in one if it loaded through the mag well.

Perhaps @Braceman could make these?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a NOS original drum that I was going to post pics until Ordnance posted his. I paid 3K for mine in 1997 and have been offered more than 8K for mine since then but turned it down since I have yet to see another come up for sale. There is a report some repros were made but I have only seen some parts for them and you could tell the quality was not there. Making them could be done but is the market there?

1. As for you question, 37th's desires, you could use a Magpul drum and make a outside "cover" that looks like the original.
One problem I always had with the looks of the Robinson was the mag well being so stinking long hanging down. It needs to be trimmed if it were possible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Seems to be by the time they go North of 3K, you could have one fabricated up by a competent metal smith for less than that??
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#15]
IIRC, the Stoner is belt fed, so the drum just holds a belt, right?  No spring or feed mechanism?  And the normal "magazine" is an attached box for a 100-round belt?  

Rob
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Thats correct, it holds a belt.  I need something that will hold loose rounds like the AK drums.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Since the Robinson M96 uses AR-15 magazines, that Norinco 120 round drum mentioned earlier is gonna be the most appropriate looking "off the shelf" drum magazine. Be prepared to spend some ca$h when and if you find one, because they ain't cheap. From what I've read, not all of them function 100% either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Since the Robinson M96 uses AR-15 magazines, that Norinco 120 round drum mentioned earlier is gonna be the most appropriate looking "off the shelf" drum magazine. Be prepared to spend some ca$h when and if you find one, because they ain't cheap. From what I've read, not all of them function 100% either.
View Quote
Thanks, and yes very expensive along with how they look and function.  Unless I find one for CHEAP, I'll give up on that dream.  Adding the plastic yesterday has satiated  my STONER lust.....for awhile ;)
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top