Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 7:12:42 PM EDT
I've grown bored with a run of the mill late 603 and I've decided to put together an XM16E1, but I don't recall what I should be using as far as a BCG. I'm not going for 100% correctness but I want it mostly right.

I'm using an NDS XM lower, and a no drain hole FSB.  Which BCG would be more correct? I did some searching but couldn't nail down a time frame for them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The most appropriate BCG for an XM16E1 is fully chromed, and is among the hardest to find.  I do believe some late E1s came with a parked carrier (transitional BCG)--or maybe a complete parked BCG--but I think most people automatically connect the serrated chromed BCG with the early 603.

You'll also want a transitional bolt catch--another hard to find detail that really "makes" a nice clone.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#2]
XM16E1

It all depends on which version (early or late) as to which BCG you will use. Personally, I did a late version and used a parkerized Colt M16 BCG.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll also want a transitional bolt catch--another hard to find detail that really "makes" a nice clone.
View Quote

The transitional bolt catch was only used on SOME weapons in the 1964-1965 time frame, so unless you are doing a VERY EARLY XM16E1 complete with M VP 12 barrel, you really do not need the transitional bolt catch.  Thst being said, they ARE really neat looking.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Even though the chrome carrier is somewhat iconic, I think there were probably more rifles produced with the parkerized carrier. I dont know the exact date the switch was made though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Even though the chrome carrier is somewhat iconic, I think there were probably more rifles produced with the parkerized carrier. I dont know the exact date the switch was made though.
View Quote

I agree, and the rarity of the chrome serrated bolt carrier will attest to that.  If I recall correctly, I read somewhere that the chrome serrated bolt carrier was manufactured for less than one year. But, yes, it IS the iconic part of an XM16E1.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I vote chrome. It has the classic look. Chrome BCGS are the aviator sunshades of the RBR world.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going for late '65 or '66 I think. If I go chrome it will be a modern BCG, which wouldn't be correct anyway.

Not sure what I want to do.

After some searching, it looks like it may end up being NiB rather than chrome.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm going for late '65 or '66 I think. If I go chrome it will be a modern BCG, which wouldn't be correct anyway.

View Quote

In that time frame, you may be more correct going with the parkerized BCG.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I vote chrome. It has the classic look. Chrome BCGS are the aviator sunshades of the RBR world.
View Quote
Brother, I've been looking for a new sig line.  I think you just wrote it for me!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Chrome for me, easier to clean, smooth running
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In that time frame, you may be more correct going with the parkerized BCG.
View Quote

It would save me money too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up a parkd XM16E1 carrier for not too much last year,  plus it's original rather than a modern stand in. Might want to post a WTB if you choose that route.

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I went with chrome on my recent 604 build. just wanted something different since my two other retro builds have parked BCG's
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Would a modern USGI nickel boron coated bolt carrier group work as a stand-in for the chromed bolt?
Very reasonably priced and on sale now at Fulton Armory. I bought one.,
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Would a modern USGI nickel boron coated bolt carrier group work as a stand-in for the chromed bolt?
Very reasonably priced and on sale now at Fulton Armory. I bought one.,
View Quote

Heres a nickel moron bolt and chrome carrier.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've grown bored with a run of the mill late 603 and I've decided to put together an XM16E1, but I don't recall what I should be using as far as a BCG. I'm not going for 100% correctness but I want it mostly right.

I'm using an NDS XM lower, and a no drain hole FSB.  Which BCG would be more correct? I did some searching but couldn't nail down a time frame for them.
View Quote

Did you check  youngmanufacturing.net  ?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:35:17 AM EDT
[#17]
the xm16e1 had 3 carrier variations

chrome serrated
parked serration w/ enlarged firing pin retaining hole w/o the C mark
parked serration w/ enlarged firing pin retaining hole w/ the C mark

depending on how early you want to go, you can't go wrong with any of those
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#18]
A nickeled coating always looks yellowish to me, while a chrome coat has a faint blue tint.

I'd rather use a parked carrier than nickel for that reason.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A nickeled coating always looks yellowish to me, while a chrome coat has a faint blue tint.

I'd rather use a parked carrier than nickel for that reason.
View Quote

I don't disagree, but maintaining an NiB BCG sure is easier...
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Last fall I bought a Daniel Defense fully chrome m16 profile bcg directly from them for my xm16e1. It looks really good. It appears they are out of stock right now, but it could be worth waiting for instead of going with some other coating.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Last fall I bought a Daniel Defense fully chrome m16 profile bcg directly from them for my xm16e1. It looks really good. It appears they are out of stock right now, but it could be worth waiting for instead of going with some other coating.
View Quote

I didn't realize that they made a chrome M16 group, I may snag one sometime, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an original XM16E1 chrome carrier with a parked bolt in my XM16E1.

The original carrier I got from Boywonder and it wasn't cheap, but I feel better knowing an original is in there.

He has another one listed on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#23]
When I built my XM16E1 a couple years back, I used a chrome BCG from Young Manufacturing. Pricey, but would rather have something new since all my retro rifles are considered to be battle ready if need be.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When I built my XM16E1 a couple years back, I used a chrome BCG from Young Manufacturing. Pricey, but would rather have something new since all my retro rifles are considered to me as battle ready if need be.
View Quote

Are you saying that original USGI bolt carriers are NOT "battle ready"?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is some xm16e1 goodness. Couple chromed xm carriers, couple narrow band bolts, and a couple sets near perfect no drain hole sets.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Are you saying that original USGI bolt carriers are NOT "battle ready"?
View Quote

Here we go...... knew was coming.  No, that's not what I'm saying. I prefer some newer parts than previous older retro parts that I don't know there history or abuse if any. My comfort zone from past experiences. That's all.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here is some xm16e1 goodness. Couple chromed xm carriers, couple narrow band bolts, and a couple sets near perfect no drain hole sets.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61597/20170217-052755-148367.JPG
View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#28]
After the USAF and US Army noticed a lot of failures with bolts on the 601s and 602s especially, they did a joint study on what the problem was in the early 1960s.

It was posted here before, the fleet testing they did across wide samples of guns, complete with serial numbers, round counts, and failure points.

This is where they discovered that 8620 hard chromed bolts were a bad idea, and contributed to the departure from 8620 and hard chrome plating of bolts.

Hydrogen embrittlement from the hard chrome encouraged surface stress fractures, and 8620 was a steel selected for strategic reasons for the AR10, and was brought over for AR15 bolts, carriers, and extensions as well.

Stoner himself said they started using a 9310 steel after that to address the fatigue problems with the tiny bolt, in a training session with UK MoD engineers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
After the USAF and US Army noticed a lot of failures with bolts on the 601s and 602s especially, they did a joint study on what the problem was in the early 1960s.

It was posted here before, the fleet testing they did across wide samples of guns, complete with serial numbers, round counts, and failure points.

This is where they discovered that 8620 hard chromed bolts were a bad idea, and contributed to the departure from 8620 and hard chrome plating of bolts.

Hydrogen embrittlement from the hard chrome encouraged surface stress fractures, and 8620 was a steel selected for strategic reasons for the AR10, and was brought over for AR15 bolts, carriers, and extensions as well.

Stoner himself said they started using a 9310 steel after that to address the fatigue problems with the tiny bolt, in a training session with UK MoD engineers.
View Quote

Good to know.  I wasn't aware of this...
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61597/20170217-052755-148367.JPG
View Quote

Braggart!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Heres a nickel moron bolt and chrome carrier.
View Quote

That's a really stupid looking bolt.

If I can't locate chomed carriers, the NiB might have to do for me.
Or how about Brownells start selling some for their retro lineup?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's a really stupid looking bolt.

If I can't locate chomed carriers, the NiB might have to do for me.
Or how about Brownells start selling some for their retro lineup?
View Quote

That would be nice, especially if they use the earlier style enlarged hole for the FPR.

Just mark them in a very conspicuous manner.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:33:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:48:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Tony's customs has the chrome carrier AND the chrome bolt for $149.95, which is the best deal that I have found:

http://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/product/bolt-carrier-complete-chrome/
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:52:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've got one of these from PK  http://www.pkfirearms.com/m-16-chrome-bolt-carrier-group  have fired maybe a  few hundred rounds with it with no problems as of yet.

Brownells has these http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=izar1s8r4200zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Frifle-parts%2Fbolt-parts%2Fbolt-carrier-parts%2Fbolt-carriers%2Fm16-chrome-match-bolt-carrier-assembly-prod77828.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=SMITH%2bENTERPRISE

It would be cool to have a repro with a properly enlarged firing pin retaining pin hole.
View Quote

Looks like it hasn't been staked at all.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tony's customs has the chrome carrier AND the chrome bolt for $149.95, which is the best deal that I have found:

http://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/product/bolt-carrier-complete-chrome/
View Quote

That's not too bad.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't disagree, but maintaining an NiB BCG sure is easier...
View Quote

Yes, certainly.

I meant for aesthetic reasons, only. 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#39]
If you go with a parkerized carrier, I believe you will need to find a carrier with an enlarged firing pin retaining hole on the right side and no "C" stamped on the left side.  The bolt should only have MP and not MPC.  Colt started using the "C" when GM and H&R started producing the M16A1.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Would this work for a early XM?

http://www.stagarms.com/5-56-223-chrome-bolt-carrier-assembly-right-handed/
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Anyone know of a source for a chrome BCG without forward assist serrations, other than Young Manufacturing?  They're out of stock right now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you go with a parkerized carrier, I believe you will need to find a carrier with an enlarged firing pin retaining hole on the right side and no "C" stamped on the left side.  The bolt should only have MP and not MPC.  Colt started using the "C" when GM and H&R started producing the M16A1.
View Quote

Correct. They are not terribly hard to find either compared to the chrome XM16E1 carriers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anyone know of a source for a chrome BCG without forward assist serrations, other than Young Manufacturing?  They're out of stock right now.
View Quote

Yes, try Boywonder.  He usually has a few original Colt.  They usually go for around $130.  Check with him on Gun Broker.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Dang it! I was wanting a Stag and got the PK instead. No complaints with the one from PK though. Just Stag didn't show any chrome BCGs or any chrome components on their site when I ordered, so I had to use option B.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top