Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2017 5:50:26 PM EDT
Those surplus A1 uppers on the market for super cheap with the crack under the ejection port. Y'all know what I am talking about. I know the welding/repair can be done, but who can do it, and for how much?

Anyone on here?

Thanks to any responders.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I ordered one. As soon as it arrives, it's going to Braceman. He said he would try and I'm OK with that considering his other crafts. He's going to do a few extra thinks too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Looked at the usual suspects, did not see any.

Current source ????

Thanks, BC
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Royal tiger
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Tried RT, did not come up, just the kits.

Link ?

Thx, BC
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tried RT, did not come up, just the kits.

Link ?

Thx, BC
View Quote

Fugged up upper
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.royaltigerimports.com/product-p/00053.htm

Hell man... Want me to come over and fix you breakfast next ?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I ordered one. As soon as it arrives, it's going to Braceman. He said he would try and I'm OK with that considering his other crafts. He's going to do a few extra thinks too.
View Quote

Let us know how it goes... I'll send him mine if it turns out
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a bunch of those uppers. I'm gonna TIG one with 5356 filler and try it out. I've got really mixed feelings though, because despite guys doing it on AR forums, welding forums and manufacturers all say that 7075 is unweldable except cosmetically.

I have a couple that are only cracked like 1/8", but those ones cracked from the bottom to the ejection port...well, I don't want to start a flame war; I'm just going to TIG one up and put a few hundred rounds through it and see.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the link Cal. Much appreciated.

Yeah Sid, biscuits & gravy would be great.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a bunch of those uppers. I'm gonna TIG one with 5356 filler and try it out. I've got really mixed feelings though, because despite guys doing it on AR forums, welding forums and manufacturers all say that 7075 is unweldable except cosmetically.

I have a couple that are only cracked like 1/8", but those ones cracked from the bottom to the ejection port...well, I don't want to start a flame war; I'm just going to TIG one up and put a few hundred rounds through it and see.
View Quote

5356 would be the way to go. Due to micro cracking, I would also liquid dye penetrant inspect it after welding/finishing.

It's a crapshoot at best, imo.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

5356 would be the way to go. Due to micro cracking, I would also liquid dye penetrant inspect it after welding/finishing.

It's a crapshoot at best, imo.
View Quote

I concur. Thanks for the tip to dye pen. I used to be a certified weld inspector, but that was over 20 years ago, and I wasn't as stupid back then.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I concur. Thanks for the tip to dye pen. I used to be a certified weld inspector, but that was over 20 years ago, and I wasn't as stupid back then.
View Quote

A little insurance is good.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm no welder but to me I would 5.56 blast away with an upper that had a small crack in that area welded up.

I know some guys say only shoot .22 with a welded upper but the upper on our beloved platform is aluminum and I dare say that in the event of a catastrophic failure while in battery, the aluminum would offer little containment of the boom!

Now the barrel extension is quite a good little chunk of hardened steel and I posit it is WAY more important to the preservation of your digits and glazzies that that thin bit of threaded aluminum.

Don't sue me if yer sheet blows up. That's just my $0.02 worth.

Discuss.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Their shipping rates suck, almost $20 to ship one upper.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shows $10 FedEx ground when I add it to my cart. They add tax to me as well but that's STILL only $13.50 for shipping and tax.

Was that the only shipping option they gave on the checkout?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ran into that crap too.  I called the guy and it was under $10 to ship.  I wasn't about to pay $20 to ship that sucker. With that said, I still don't have it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#18]
My shipping was $20.71 for a bunch of them. I kinda wish I didn't get so many though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Shows $10 FedEx ground when I add it to my cart. They add tax to me as well but that's STILL only $13.50 for shipping and tax.

Was that the only shipping option they gave on the checkout?
View Quote

It shows FedEx shipping to my area code $19.66.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

HAve you sent it off yet ?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Any Luck on the repair ?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#22]
One on the EE now that's been repaired/reanodized.
I wouldn't want it.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top