Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2016 10:50:08 AM EDT
So when did "they" switch from the aluminum  C.A.R. Stock to ...the next version?
I'm going to guess it was the N1 fiberlight ?
Then I guess my next question was how long did the aluminum see service in the US.
Thanks.
My dilemma. I picked up an "old style" CAR stock off the EE. Unknown to me it turns out
To be aluminum. (Not aColt). I don't think it's the right time frame for R6450 9mm build.  
Now I fear I'll have to build some sort of XM-whoknowswhat.....
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#1]
The Air Force was still fielding the aluminum Type II (vinyl acetate coated) aluminum stocks a few years ago on their franken carbines.  in the USAF Reserve/ANG unit I was in 1979-1981, both my GAU-5/A/A (12.5 inch with moderator) and GAU-5/P (14.5 inch 1/12 with A1 flash hider) had the aluminum stocks.  The GAU-5/A/A was a factory weapon, and my GAU-5/P was an Air Force creation on a 601 lower.  I have seen recent pictures from  Afghanistan where USAF folks have flat top M4s, with Aluminum stocks.  

USAF never gets rid of anything.  We had some M2 Carbines and a green stocked 601 in the arms room.

as for the Army, I saw some pics of GW I, where Stormin' Normin's security detail had early M4s with Fiberite stocks.  First time I saw one on a Colt weapon as an FFL, was 1989/1990.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Fi - br - ite

The aluminumnum stock ran from late 1966 to around 1982'ish.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
When did the 2 position stock became 4 .position to 6 positions?
A2 removable carry handle flat top A4 Carbine, 2, 4 or 6 position stocks?
Any info would be appreciated.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top