Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2016 11:33:10 AM EDT
I've used Norrell's in flat grayish black for a Colt M16A1 clone in the past and been very satisfied with the results. I just picked up an H&R upper for another build and the finish is significantly darker, almost black. Does anyone have experience with moly resin and H&R parts? Would I be correct in assuming that flat black would get me the closest match?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
if you have Norrells socom black, you could mix that 50/50 with grayish black and might be good, if not do some test pieces until you get the right ratio. Of course straight black might do it, so try that first.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've used Norrell's in flat grayish black for a Colt M16A1 clone in the past and been very satisfied with the results. I just picked up an H&R upper for another build and the finish is significantly darker, almost black. Does anyone have experience with moly resin and H&R parts? Would I be correct in assuming that flat black would get me the closest match?
View Quote

The front half of the lower receiver is from a demilled H&R M16A1 and retains the original color.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
What color of Norrel's did you use on it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:44:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What color of Norrel's did you use on it?
View Quote

I used the greyish black also.  Pre-heated to 300 degrees, spray a light coat, Then cured at 325 degrees for about an hour and a half to give it the slight greenish appearance. Should start watching is after about an hour until it reaches your desired color.  The following pictures are of an original H&R that was for sale on Gun Broker.  It was listed as a NOS rifle.  Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll try some scrap pieces with a longer cure time and see how it turns out. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you posted pictures of your upper?  I'd like to see it.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top