Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2016 6:03:20 PM EDT
...into an A1 lower.  It was a $39 Anderson, so I didn't feel particularly guilty.  Pics:

It's a little rough, but I think it will clean up with some Norrell's moly resin.  I'm not sure what to do with it after that, though.  I've been thinking of getting one of those Brownells 14.7" barrels and doing a 653 clone.  Thoughts?  Ideas?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good, what tools did you use etc? And you can't go wrong with a 653 clone.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
It was done entirely by hand with files and emery cloth.  I have a renewed appreciation for both the toughness of anodization, as well as how much more reinforced A2 lowers are.  They really added a lot of material around the receiver extension.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Throw some Cerekote on there G2G
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was done entirely by hand with files and emery cloth.  I have a renewed appreciation for both the toughness of anodization, as well as how much more reinforced A2 lowers are.  They really added a lot of material around the receiver extension.
View Quote

Ok now i'm impressed good job.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

wow, you are a patient man. Good work!
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#6]
You are a braver man than I!

I'm pretty sure if I tried doing that with hand tools it would look, to quote Deadpool's friend Weasel, "like an avocado had sex with an even uglier avocado"!
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Should look real authentic when painted.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:20:02 AM EDT
[#8]
For hand tools only, you did a darn good job!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:13:32 AM EDT
[#9]
At this point, i would sand blast away the tooling marks, then the area you worked on will match the rest of the receiver. Looks great!
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#10]
A Dremel can be your best friend in this situation.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Really nice work.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Great work! I did a full fence to partial fence conversion, so I know the amount of work it takes.

Depending on how "perfect" you want it, to remove the scratches that were left behind by your work you can spray a little on the Molly on the area, heat cure and then wet sand it all off. This leaves the Molly in only the scratches. If you do this a couple of times before the finish coat they will be gone.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone.  I can attest that patience is the key factor when attempting something like this.  I considered busting out the dremel, but I know that if I did, I would have royally screwed up something.

I refinished the lower (and some other parts) with greyish flat black Norrell's Moly Resin last night, I some tooling marks are clearly visible.  I'll post some pics tonight if anyone is interested.  I will work on the lower some more to clean up the tooling marks and refinish it again.

I also scored a 14.7" M4 profile barrel off the EE this morning, so I think I'm going for a GUU-5P now.  The question I need answered is this:  forward assist upper, or no forward assist upper?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone.  I can attest that patience is the key factor when attempting something like this.  I considered busting out the dremel, but I know that if I did, I would have royally screwed up something.

I refinished the lower (and some other parts) with greyish flat black Norrell's Moly Resin last night, I some tooling marks are clearly visible.  I'll post some pics tonight if anyone is interested.  I will work on the lower some more to clean up the tooling marks and refinish it again.

I also scored a 14.7" M4 profile barrel off the EE this morning, so I think I'm going for a GUU-5P now.  The question I need answered is this:  forward assist upper, or no forward assist upper?
View Quote
Very Very Impressed! Without machines that is a VERY time consuming endeavor.

I know, I tried it once. Key word tried

Like other have said, little finding and bead blast and you will be looking good my friend.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:43:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like a lot of work but definitely be worth it when it's done.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:03:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'll bet I'm not the only one interested in seeing it. Bring on the pics, please…

View Quote

I believe most of the USAF stuff would not have a forward assist, so you'd want a 604 upper.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Holy cow!  I have a mill and couldn't do that. Well done.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For hand tools only, you did a darn good job!!
View Quote

^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^  Prior to NDS coming out with their retro offerings, that's what we had to do ... trust me, I have a few ruined A2 lowers to prove it .
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:50:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd say you're doing a really great job.  

I prefer to do my own work also, so I know how much work and patience something like this takes.
If you plan to media blast it, use a very fine aluminum oxide under low pressure, otherwise it'll eat thru that bare material pretty fast.  Also don't want to blast away any of the anodizing.
For smoothing up the occasional stray tool mark, you might try JB Weld.
I usually keep some at hand when doing something such as this .... just in case, and it can also come in handy for filling in unwanted stampings.
One more tip; I usually tape up areas adjacent to the work area, to avoid any extra scratches.
Have fun.  

P.S. -  Just my opinion, but I really hate FA's, especially on a small, light,  sleek little carbine.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks, again, for all the kind words.  Sadly, I don't have access to a media blaster, so I'm somewhat limited in my options.  Here are some pictures of the parts after being refinished:

The biggest issue that jumps out to me is the inconsistent bevel beneath the front lugs.  I think I could fix it, but I would rather just live with it (for now, at least...).

Here are some pictures of all the parts I refinished:

I coated an upper (a Brownell's/NDS), the lower, a trigger guard, a charging handle, a six-position (heresy!) buffer tube, and a magazine button and A2 port door (both not shown) in greyish black flat Norrell's.  I'm going with a GUU-5/P style carbine, so I have a Fulton slickside upper and flat slip ring en route that will get refinished in greyish black flat, as well.

Here's a plain jane 603 clone that I refinished in greyish black flat, as well:

It, sadly, is sitting on an A2 lower, though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Very nice work.  Have been tempted myself.  Just need to work up the courage as I am usually all thumbs with tools.  just ordered some Anderson lowers.  Might have to sacrifice one. LOL
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Very nice work.  Have been tempted myself.  Just need to work up the courage as I am usually all thumbs with tools.  just ordered some Anderson lowers.  Might have to sacrifice one. LOL
View Quote

I'm thinking the same thing lol.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Did you use any measurements or just eyeball it??
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow! Now that it's all finished, it looks great!
Good Job!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Did you use any measurements or just eyeball it??
View Quote

I used a stripped Brownells A1 lower to plot out the major lines and as an occasional reference, but it was all done without any real measuring.

Here are a couple of pics of the complete carbine (The magpul handguard is just a place holder as I wait for a set of car handguards to arrive in the mail!):

I was orginally going to use a slickside upper from Fulton Armory, but the fit was way too tight.  I needed a hammer and punch to push the pivot/takedown pins in and out, so I just mounted the barrel on a NDS forward assist upper.  I'm not digging the forward assist upper and M4 barrel combo, though (it's not evocative of an Air Force carbine), so I've been thinking of swapping the M4 barrel for a pencil barrel and reconfiguring the rifle as a 653.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks good. Just from an education prospective, 603 were forward assist full size with 20 inch pencil barrels rifles (Army and Marines) model. 604's were no forward assist full size with 20 inch pencil barrels (Air Force and Navy) model. The carbines had their own model designations. Both uppers used were A1, one is FA and the other is slick side or no FA. I believe someone else was trying to point that out earlier in the thread. Really did turn out nice and you have been rewarded with a good looking A1 lower. A change of barrel would get you much closer to a 653 model. I have seen and used a couple of reverse mock silencers and modulators that cover the M4 barrel notch to hide the fact and make it look more retro. Cheaper then a new barrel if you are just shooting for a look.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Looks good. Just from an education prospective, 603 were forward assist full size with 20 inch pencil barrels rifles (Army and Marines) model. 604's were no forward assist full size with 20 inch pencil barrels (Air Force and Navy) model. The carbines had their own model designations. Both uppers used were A1, one is FA and the other is slick side or no FA. I believe someone else was trying to point that out earlier in the thread. Really did turn out nice and you have been rewarded with a good looking A1 lower. A change of barrel would get you much closer to a 653 model. I have seen and used a couple of reverse mock silencers and modulators that cover the M4 barrel notch to hide the fact and make it look more retro. Cheaper then a new barrel if you are just shooting for a look.
View Quote

Thanks for the knowledge bomb.  I'll correct my previous posts.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Car handguards came in

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top