Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2016 8:35:33 PM EDT
I picked up one of the 16!in Brownells retro barrels and they used a triangle Handguard cap and I cannot get one set of repro 6 holes to fit... Any suggestions or anybody know what Handguards to use..
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Using a set or carbine length triangle hand guards (repo or home made) or removing the FSB and replacing the triangle HG cap with a round one are your only options as far as I know.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You are either going to have to change the handguard cap on the barrel with a round one, or you can use a set of triangular carbine handguards.

To change the handguard cap, the two tapered pins on the front sight base will need to be knocked out and the front sight base slid off of the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting.  Mistake on their part, or meant for those carbine length triangle hand guards maybe?  You get a round cap and swap it out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys !!! Taper pins are knocked out and block off.. Ordering cap now..
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait.  I thought all round handguards would fit triangle cap but not vice-versa.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait.  I thought all round handguards would fit triangle cap but not vice-versa.

View Quote

Only with rifle handguards.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Back in kindergarten I was the kid who always tried to hammer a square piece of wood into a round hole. I never succeeded..............
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#8]
The pins on the sight block came out scary easy ...!!! I like the short beaver tails but not correct for my 653 clone build..
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay, thanks.  I didn't know that the carbine handguards were different.  Rifle length works fine, and I have a mid-length round that fits the triangle cap. I just assumed the carbine would be the same
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interesting.  Mistake on their part, or meant for those carbine length triangle hand guards maybe?  You get a round cap and swap it out.
View Quote

IIRC, they said it was a simple oversight on the carbine barrels and later production would have round handguard caps.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

IIRC, they said it was a simple oversight on the carbine barrels and later production would have round handguard caps.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds plausible.  The pic on their website shows a triangle cap on the 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:49:40 PM EDT
[#12]
this really doesn't qualify as a nightmare.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Getting the front sight locks off of some manufacturers barrels is almost impossible...this one was not.. Still WTF were they thinking on the triangle lol
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL!!  A real nightmare would be using a M1 or VP marked barrel as a pry bar thinking it was a shot out CMP Chrome Bore barrel or selling that junker slickside SP1 upper only to realize it was a 601 or a 602 upper after the sale was finalized.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LOL!!  A real nightmare would be using a M1 or VP marked barrel as a pry bar thinking it was a shot out CMP Chrome Bore barrel or selling that junker slickside SP1 upper only to realize it was a 601 or a 602 upper after the sale was finalized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You, Sir, are a monster for putting that into our fragile minds.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top