User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2016 11:40:02 PM EDT

ok what's up with this ?

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess is that it is a transitional A2 and colt was using all the left over slab side lowers they had. Just a speculation.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My guess is that it is a transitional A2 and colt was using all the left over slab side lowers they had. Just a speculation.
View Quote

yep.  you'll see them with M16A1 uppers, C7 uppers and A2 uppers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first AR-15 was one of those. The guy that now has it wants to sell it.

Same lower, A1 upper, Govt. profile 1/7 20" barrel, A2 hand guards, butt stock etc. A real mix/match.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. My Sporter Match HBAR is built on one. Everything is A2 except the lower receiver and the missing bayonet lug. Just Colt using up all its old parts.

In fact the serial number on my rifle is lower than the one pictured. SP249xxx.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#5]
That's not a Colt grip.

ETA:

Colt

Cheap knockoff

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:12:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Common in the early  1980's.  I think my dad bought his two in 1982.
I have them today. Nice rifled
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey I was right about something for once! Reading pays off.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:50:17 AM EDT
[#8]
My early Sporter II (306xxx) is slick and slab - basically exactly like an SP1, except the roll marks, stock, pistol grip and 1/7 A2 barrel with round handguards and half-birdcage flash suppressor.

Colt slowly transitioned in later features as they used up older stock on hand.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:13:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Same lower, A1 upper, Govt. profile 1/7 20" barrel, A2 hand guards, butt stock etc. A real mix/match.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL must be a lot of these in Louisiana . I have a 604 upper on mine I have been debating parting out . I called Colt when I first got it . It had a complete A2 upper on it. Seems it was made in 1985. As others have said it was a transitional time . All colt parts and Sp1-2 lower is pretty much the same. Should have adjustable front pin .

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an R6600 A2 HBAR Sporter made in 1987 with a slab side lower. No sear block, standard FCG pins and full bayo lug.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a R6550 Sporter that was a slab side, wish I kept it!
Large front pin too, etc.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Had one like that new in box. called it the Mixmaster Colt , as others have said Colt was taking whatever it could find. and moving them out the door. also had one with the lower fence but no bayo lug or hider. >That one was ugly set that way.Post model.I can't sob and cry over the 100 plus of all the different models I did have.  Now its be thankful to have any.can never recover from my XM sell off's. today a king ransom to get all those back.

Enjoy today what you can get.and when you see that unique one grab it. because somebody else will for sure.everybody have a nice Memorial day.

Semper-Fi 1968/74.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if COLT has any of those 601 forgings left over to use for replacement of wasted ones on privately owned rifles.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think they have any of the old slab side forgings.  An acquaintance had a damaged SP1, sent it back to Colt and it came back with a current style lower.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Many think they have crates and crates of stuff just laying around.{They really don't}with the last two bk's they had moved as much out as possible, and made up as much as possible and sold it as soon as they could.You have a better chance today of finding some old suppliers overstock like Starks, Ruvels, Militaria sales in New York.  Interarms and Navy back in the day.And  of course gun show's, when you see 70 plus year olds and older moving items on. that they ratholed over the past fifty years.

Many times you can get lucky and find a few old cardboard boxes laying on a table with items marked 20 buck's.
And other times they know what it is and want big buck's, That you would say they can still own it and move on to another table.I can't say these are the best of times anymore.

unless you want a modern M-4 style> and that stuff is all over the place now.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks just like my Colt R6600 HBAR.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I dont own and SP2 but I think they're cool just because they could have been shipped with any mix of parts. Colt always kept it interesting!
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, Look inside the pistol grip for a "C".  I could swear the early Colt Sporter II Lightweight had the same grip with straight lines.  If you look in Black Rifle II, there are a couple pictures of similar grips on early A2s.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I've never seen an A2 Sporter-marked lower that WASN'T a slabside.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't think they have any of the old slab side forgings.  An acquaintance had a damaged SP1, sent it back to Colt and it came back with a current style lower.
View Quote

How did they mark the lower?  Standard for the time of replacement? Duplicate serial as the damaged unit?  Fascinating.  (I'm high functioning autistic lol)
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How did they mark the lower?  Standard for the time of replacement? Duplicate serial as the damaged unit?  Fascinating.  (I'm high functioning autistic lol)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC colt used to let you send your registered machine gun lower receiver in and they would destroy it and make you a new A2 lower with the same serial number; until the ATF made them quit.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

this ^^^^^^^
i bought my colt sp 2 brand new in the box around 1984/85 it has a slab side lower a A1 upper with tear drop FA and no deflector, also has a A1 stock,PG and FH  about the only parts on it that are A2 are the Barrel and HG's
i had no idea how odd it was until i got bit by the retro bug and started learning and building.
at one time a few years ago i got so interested in it because it was so odd  that i went to the colt sight to do a serial number look up..  my serial number doesn't even exist in the colt data base.
if i hadn't bought it brand new in the colt box with all it's original papers i would have thought it was a mix master build.
was a member over at gun boards forum that told me about the early SP2 transitional models.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#23]
ok thanks
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top