Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 9:48:27 AM EDT
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/05/25/breaking-obama-removes-arms-embargo-in-vietnam-opening-way-for-civilian-imports/

Do you think they might have stockpiles of old ARVN M1 carbines, M14s, M16s that may come back as parts kits? Any stocks of old 1911s or mil shotguns?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope so.  Maybe after November if things go right.  They would be some beat up kits.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#2]
It seems possible, although the intent of the action was to open up a channel for the US to sell equipment to Vietnam, not the other way around.

Would be nice though, there is a shitload of old US, Chinese and Russian (among others) equipment in VN from the American War.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#3]
What MrM1A1 said.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#4]
My tent is still there, a little worn though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Obama won't let any guns come in. He stopped the stockpile of M1 carbines coming in from south Korea a few years ago. If trump gets in office and Vietnam does have stuff to send over then he will let it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Imagine all those no forge 16/177 parts kits and waiting to be imported! Warehouses full of pristine repair parts! HEAVEN!
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys a lot of those M16s ended up back in the Americas already.....Just not the US.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The vietnamese probably don't wont to give them up, its probably the best weapons they have still. We can dream cant we!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I figured a lot end up on the ocean floor.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The vietnamese probably don't wont to give them up, its probably the best weapons they have still. We can dream cant we!
View Quote

Our govt will sell them M4 upgrade kits and we will get the leftovers if Trump is elected.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Imagine all those no forge 16/177 parts kits and waiting to be imported! Warehouses full of pristine repair parts! HEAVEN!
View Quote

My memory has faded over the years.  But what I do remember is shortly after the South Vietnamese government fell, my uncle who was a carpenter, was hired to make pine shipping/storage crates for the M16's and other small arms, M1 carbines, etc. that were surrendered or abandoned by South Vietnamese Arm Forces.  My uncle told me the weapons were test-fired and if they were serviceable, they get covered in axel grease and packed in the shipping crates, presumably bound for exports to other Southeast Asian countries.  Damaged weapons were torn down for any serviceable parts.  But there were so much in-fighting among the Communist party as to who gets the proceeds from sales of small arms and parts, no one really knows what actually happened most of the small arms and where they were stowed away.  There were lots of rumors that most of the US small arms were shipped to Russia and China to repay debt owed by the North Vietnamese.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Well guys not that it matter's but have a true tale for you when I had my ins agency back in Chicago this was around 1987, I was a ffl /sot One day I get this phone call Long Distance operator.Some broker from Viet-Nam tells me he heard of me from somebody there who can broker deal's.All I did up to that time was a Galil deal, and Steyr for F.N. rifles,and get in some Chinese AK'S CLAYCO'S was in process.so I say sure what do you have? he says he can fax it. so a hour later my freaking fax machine go's on. and run and runs I mean the whole freaking roll of paper is going.yeah before cell and space phones, about twenty minutes later the paper gone.I start reading it and its all the stuff we left in Nam. m-60 tanks mg-134's 30cal belt feed crates and crates of 1911 and m-16 even model XM's all broken down by crates numbers and serial's. A Laundry list, and no bullcrap since nobody had this info. since who knew what we really left until somebody is looking at it and writing it all down.and around 12 years later somebody did a inventory.

He calls back and ask's did I get all the pages. and send more with Jet engines and stuff and huey;s and loaches.I show my buddy who has the ins agency with me a Nam vet who did the hawk missles at Danang.yes we had missles there.he says Ron this is cool but? A.former Marine and dealer class three.TOO bad Fax paper fades away quick. as it did I had it rolled up in a file cabinet box for years.And decades later I figured they got some country to buy it all or some of it..including the new tank and Huey motors still in crates.Hope you liked it guys true story.who knows how it ended.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]
For some reason it would not let me post the rest anyhow you get the picture. The stuff went someplace. because I sure as heck could not import stolen and left war Material from Viet-Nam.in 1987/88 nothing was coming from anyplace.I mentioned it to a Treasury agent years later, and he says whos the person and the list? I said long gone and it would not matter anyhow it was years ago. I put up with that for 38 years. Now I wish I copied it just to have it and look back.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Considering the Obama administration blocked the reimportation of hundreds of thousands of collectable M1 Garands and m1 Carbines from Korea a couple years back, I would not hold my breath.  They would rather our former enemies have guns than US citizens....
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:59:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Same thing has happened in Iraq we didn't bring that stuff home. Too expensive. We left everything including loads and loads and when I say loads I mean billions of dollars worth of repair parts and bench stock. I don't think the average person can comprehend how much. We are talking fully stocked military installations. When ISIS took Mosel and the airbase there they got tons and tons of our equipment. It would make you sick if you really knew!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Considering the Obama administration blocked the reimportation of hundreds of thousands of collectable M1 Garands and m1 Carbines from Korea a couple years back, I would not hold my breath.  They would rather our former enemies have guns than US citizens....
View Quote

What he said......
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 3:38:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Most of that stuff landed in Canada in the early '80's.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#18]
History, from Iraq to 'Nam, has taught us that this is basically arming our future enemies.

It may not be the Vietnamese, themselves, but this arming of a country that really does not have that much against China, and in fact sided with them, is damned stupid.

If Beijing wants Vietnam, they will take Vietnam.  It's too small of a country, too poorly run and guarded, to believe that putting our weapons there will be used to any great effect for any purpose the USA would want.

Hey, let's arm more Mexicans and middle-easterners while we are just being flat-out dumb about this.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Same thing has happened in Iraq we didn't bring that stuff home. Too expensive. We left everything including loads and loads and when I say loads I mean billions of dollars worth of repair parts and bench stock. I don't think the average person can comprehend how much. We are talking fully stocked military installations. When ISIS took Mosel and the airbase there they got tons and tons of our equipment. It would make you sick if you really knew!
View Quote

What pissed me off was the leaving of barely used MRAPs in A'Stan. Too expensive to bring home..
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What pissed me off was the leaving of barely used MRAPs in A'Stan. Too expensive to bring home..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't "too expensive" to get them there, so why would it be "too expensive" to bring them home?  Don't you think it was more a way of providing arms without having to get congressional approval?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top