Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 9:14:10 AM EDT
I've been slowly gathering parts for a retro build and my lower finally arrived!  It's a mix of parts, but I wanted something that would stand out from the rest of the collection. I went with the 18" barrel because the gun will be hosting an AEM5 suppressor occasionally and it was way easier to mount it.

Still missing the muzzle device, Ron Allen is whipping me up a custom suppressor collar that will bridge the gap between the rear of the suppressor and front sight base.  It'll do a reasonable job replicating the look of the old school sionics cans.

The 601 Style bolt catch and dimpled pins go a long ways to make this gun stand out from the rest.

The SP1 Upper was the first component I bought, the slick side upper and lower was the just the look I was going for.

I'm pretty happy with the (nearly) finished product.  I'll be good as long as the retro black rifle disease doesn't kick in and I have to start cloning.  Although a 607 would be nice...

-Kirby

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good.  Why the heavy barrel, rather than the original "pencil" barrel? Better with a suppressor?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a government contour, so it's basically the same profile underneath the handguards.  The suppressor I'm using is a reflex design that utilizes a two piece mounting system consisting of a threaded muzzle device and a collar that sits behind it on the barrel.  The heavier profile in front of the FSB allows for the collar to be mounted.

These rifles both have the suppressor mounts installed

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting retro-style interpretation. I'll be interested to see it with the can attached.

How many of the retro detail parts (dimples, mag release button, bolt release, etc.) are original, or who made them?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like Heatnbeat 601 stuff on the lower to me. Is that a Colt govt profile barrel? If so, you could sell or trade it on EE to fund a pencil profile barrel. Cool looking rifle!
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah they're repro 601 parts from heatnbeat, I purposely chose to not get the pencil barrel due to the suppressor mounts.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top