Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2016 1:34:24 PM EDT
Okay, so I finally had a chance to sit down and take stock of what I have right now and what I need to order before any gun buying rush happens. The only thing that I am unable to buy are barrels right now. I placed an order today with Slim for small odds and end pieces and I jumped on a deal PSA had for full auto bolt carries and charging handles. I wanted six of them but it would only let me order five. I have five A1 uppers and one A1/C7 upper. As soon as parts come in I will post pics of all the parts together! I am excited to get going.

My first two builds will be -

The others will be -

M203

I think I have these correct. They wont be a hundred percent correct builds since I am using PSA lowers that I have but down the road I can try and change those out. I want to have building full rifles and shooting them. Thanks everyone for your help and information. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and support.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#1]
No 607?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear projects are getting off the ground.  Run into any snags simply ask.  

Sounds like quite a few builds.  Ive built as many as 10 in a day and test fired them without sweating it too much.  Even then no guarantee that everything will go super smooth.  Trigger guard pins are about the only thing that usually slows me down.  Seems like I always run into one or two that aren't in what I call spec.  For those I usually use the taped over vise grips.  Otherwise wear out a roll pin punch or two.

I also prefer to build and shoot then swap more correct or better quality pieces down the road as deals are found.  If they don't perform to my spec I'll do something different and one can't tell until the trigger is squeezed.  For years I built two of everything and kept the best shooter and sold the rest.  Hard to do this today with limited resources and parts expense, so build and shoot ASAP is sound.

Good luck.  Hope they turn out great!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I built 603,629,603 with m203 in that order great choices.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#4]
The next question will be "geez, when will my builds ever end!" Or like 37thguy said,  "my last build" ya right

After the black type there are always shotguns too
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No 607?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No 607?

You had to go and post that one I might have to look for some more lowers . . . and parts. I love the 607 but had no clue in how to build one of those stocks. I know one of the members here was making them but for the life of me I can't think of their name. I need to hide my credit card.  The 607 would be perfect for an SBR. I keep telling myself no on an SBR but the 607 may push me to it. I have six builds right now and I shouldn't be thinking about a seventh one.

Quoted:
The next question will be "geez, when will my builds ever end!" Or like 37thguy said,  "my last build" ya right

After the black type there are always shotguns too

I have thought about shotguns for years. I love the trench guns and would love to own one. Shotguns in themselves are addictive.

As soon as I get the parts in I will line up all the parts and start taking pictures. I somehow ended up with an extra stock so not sure what I will do with that one. I would love to do a CAR15 with a full length stock so maybe that is something I could do later on.

One of the uppers is still Colt grey. I bought it from a member who said he thought that it had been redone. I can't tell if it has been or not. Well I just looked. I thought it was a Colt marked upper but it isn't. It is a light grey. Slim sent an email that my parts are on their way so it shouldn't be long until I have some pics.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I know one of the members here was making them but for the life of me I can't think of their name.
View Quote

Look up one from your post and check the avatar.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know one of the members here was making them but for the life of me I can't think of their name.

Haha I was blinded by the BRD.

The 607 is very interesting of a rifle. I see that at one point it had the standard A1 pistol grip. I like that. I don't care for the cut down one as much. I might change my mind if I had one in hand and could feel if there is that big of a difference.

I have three sets of triangle handguards and two sets of six hole handguards. I will need to get the cut down triangle handguards.

Now for a question on buffer tubes. Where should I be looking at an A1 kit? I looked at Fulton Armory and it gets a bit pricey. I'm wondering if it would be just as cheap to buy the full stock kit and sell off the new stock. Or maybe turn one of those stocks into a 607 stock?

Today was the biggest buys so far. If I build the sixth rifle I need to get another BCG and charging handle.I can't wait to get the barrels and move forward. I'm just waiting for Brownells to get them back in stock.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:27:54 PM EDT
[#8]
If you truly mean what you said about not wanting to build more then skip over the rest of my post.

I'm not kidding!

Ok, you're still reading so here it comes. Take a look at the 605. It is by far my favorite retro build in that it just feels right and looks right. It gives it an SBR look without actually being one. Mine is a bastard build with a government profile carbine barrel with a FSB pinned on in the rifle position, an A2 lower and I think a C7 upper if I remember correctly.

Man I love that thing!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you truly mean what you said about not wanting to build more then skip over the rest of my post.

I'm not kidding!

Ok, you're still reading so here it comes. Take a look at the 605. It is by far my favorite retro build in that it just feels right and looks right. It gives it an SBR look without actually being one. Mine is a bastard build with a government profile carbine barrel with a FSB pinned on in the rifle position, an A2 lower and I think a C7 upper if I remember correctly.

Man I love that thing!
View Quote

I'm wondering how wrong it would be to make the C7 upper an M203 rifle? I lost sleep last night thinking about the builds lol.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally I would say you would be good to go but what do I know? I'm not a purist by any means.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Personally I would say you would be good to go but what do I know? I'm not a purist by any means.
View Quote

I think the C7 could be good to go with it but not a hundred percent sure. I'm a purist but my wallet will not allow it fully. I want them to be as close as I can get them and good shooters and fun rifles. I'm building them to get the experience and enjoy them after I am done. The retro rifles are so much fun to learn about them and everyone on here has made it even that much more fun.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The 607 is very interesting of a rifle. I see that at one point it had the standard A1 pistol grip. I like that. I don't care for the cut down one as much. I might change my mind if I had one in hand and could feel if there is that big of a difference.

I have three sets of triangle handguards and two sets of six hole handguards. I will need to get the cut down triangle handguards.

Now for a question on buffer tubes. Where should I be looking at an A1 kit? I looked at Fulton Armory and it gets a bit pricey. I'm wondering if it would be just as cheap to buy the full stock kit and sell off the new stock. Or maybe turn one of those stocks into a 607 stock?

Today was the biggest buys so far. If I build the sixth rifle I need to get another BCG and charging handle.I can't wait to get the barrels and move forward. I'm just waiting for Brownells to get them back in stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats my laugh for the day.

I always get caught on the posting before reading page 2 myself. It happens
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it does hahaha. I feel like a kid at Christmas and Santa was good. I'm not sure I will feel that way when I get my credit card. But until then . . . I'm going to keep this happy buzz going!

I got my parts in from Slim today and once again just awesome dealing with him and Indiana Army Surplus. Great people and great help. I ordered on Friday and got it today, can't be that with a stick!

Once I get my parts in from PSA I will start posting pics. I need to start my next parts buy in a month or so and that will be barrels. I think I will have all my parts by then. I think. There is always something missing . . . an extra lower needed because I bought way to many parts . . . I know I'm going to run into that lol.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a question. I am patiently awaiting Brownells to get their barrels back in and I went over to AR15sport.com and was looking at their retro barrels with a 1:9 twist rate. They are cheaper than the 1:12. Why is that?

Also can you tell me if the pencil barrels that AR15sport.com sells are complete with everything just like Brownelles? I know they don't have the flash hider and I am okay with that. If they are different barrels . . . I guess just tell me everything I need to know about them.

One last question on AR15sport.com. I see that they have a three prong flash hider. Is that one a correct reproduction? If not, where can I find one?

Now lastly lower receivers and BCG's. I'm two receiver's short. I want to buy before they get to pricey. I'm sure the gun buying panic will break out any day now. I found Anderson lowers. How are they? They are $39.98 each and I need two of them and for that price I don't care what name is on the side of them. I just want to know if they are in spec and have had any problems. I also see AIM's has BCG's on sale from $79.99-$99.99. I'm thinking of picking up one of the Nickel Boron ones for $99.99 but the $79.99 is enticing too. Has there been any problems with AIM's BCG's?

How are Anderson charging handles?

Who has the buffer tubes for an A1 stock at a good price? Also the carbine buffer tube? I forget who has the carbine stocks besides EA and maybe Nodak. I would love an EA and I might splurge and buy two of them but I want to keep my cost down as low as I can with building six rifles.

I'm just about ready to make one or two last parts buy and starting building these out. I am so excited to see the parts taking shape. It is an awesome feeling.

I also need the M203 Airsoft grenade launcher. Its funny how hard it is to find one with a Colt logo on it that wont break the bank. I will have pics of parts coming soon. I got the last of them in last night that I ordered to get these builds off the ground. I just remembered, I need to LPK sets. Does it ever end?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I was just going over my parts and making a list of things to get ready to buy. I thought I have four LPK's and I only have two. I need to order four more. Just when I thought it was bad news it turned out that I actually found more parts that I didn't know I had. I have a couple of port doors, a full sight kit and I think an extra stock. Once I get things squared away I will know for sure what I have extra and what I don't. The BRD is bad. I will need to attend an AA meeting once this is over and maybe start drinking.

Pics will be coming soon.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I got in the last of the parts I ordered. The BCG and charging handle from AIMS. The BCG came in a lose package no box or nothing. I ordered five from PSA and they were in tubes. The funny thing, they all look the same. Its almost like they are the same vendor. The ones from PSA had an oil substance over the BCG. AIMS did not. The charging handles also look the same.

The M203 came in last week and now I just need to order my six barrels and two carbine stocks. I know there are some small parts that I will need but the major stuff will be over soon.

I can't wait to get these builds going!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top