Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2016 10:25:38 PM EDT
My 723 clone.
Almost done, I have a Aimpoint 2000 coming for it.
Going for a close but not exact copy of Larry Vickers 'Modelo Raid/SCUD Hunter' carbine.
I put a Lone Star grip on it. Not really sure if those were available back in the late '80's or early '90's.
I had decided on putting a airsoft M203 on it for fun after seeing Tech-Com's post of his super sweet black powder conversion when I stumpled on the Aimpoint; bought that instead.
M203 will get ordered at a later date.
</a>" />

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Good looking carbine.  I love my 723 (though I went with the pencil barrel)
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice work man!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Next on the list, I just picked up an Aimpoint 2000 too! I asked Vickers what rings the used he said just 1" aluminum ones, they ran the 2000 from 89-95. I'm going to use an older A.R.M.S mount and I haven't figured out the rings yet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks' for the good words Tumerboy and theokami.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Next on the list, I just picked up an Aimpoint 2000 too! I asked Vickers what rings the used he said just 1" aluminum ones, they ran the 2000 from 89-95. I'm going to use an older A.R.M.S mount and I haven't figured out the rings yet.
View Quote

The one I snagged was listed on GB Sunday for a really good price and is in really nice condition. Best part, it has the Aimpoint rings on it.
I went with a copy of the A.R.M.S. #02 mount, made by US Tactical Systems.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:38:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Sweet, I got mine off of gunbroker too, it definitely looks used, doesn't have rings but came with the magnification kit. I picked it up for 46.00, I just hope it works!
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:54:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Great looking build

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Got my 2000 today! Works great, did yours come in yet?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:....I put a Lone Star grip on it. Not really sure if those were available back in the late '80's or early '90's.
View Quote

The first Barretts had the Lone Star grip and those would have been during the timeframe you are looking at.  I know for a fact that the Desert Storm Barretts used the Lone Star.  Later Lone Star grips did find their way onto ARSOC & SOCOM weapons.  I seem to recall seeing them at Bragg in the mid-late 90s.  Kyle Lamb is pictured using a Lone Star in his book Green Eyes & Black Rifles, but I'm unsure of the date.

I did see 1SFOD-D members still using them as late as 2003/04 in Iraq.  The reason I remember that little detail is because my son's paintball marker also came with a Lone Star grip.  I couldn't help but take notice that they and my kid shared some of the same gear.

I have one on my CQB-R clone...., but I have always felt that the Lone Star's bigger size placed the finger rest nub in a too low position for my hand.

However, the trap door is the perfect place for an Form 1 Stamp!        

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:02:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great to hear.
Mine ships tomorrow.
I'll post photos once the set up is finished.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The first Barretts had the Lone Star grip and those would have been during the timeframe you are looking at.  I know for a fact that the Desert Storm Barretts used the Lone Star.  Later Lone Star grips did find their way onto ARSOC & SOCOM weapons.  I seem to recall seeing them at Bragg in the mid-late 90s.  Kyle Lamb is pictured using a Lone Star in his book Green Eyes & Black Rifles, but I'm unsure of the date.

I did see 1SFOD-D members still using them as late as 2003/04 in Iraq.  The reason I remember that little detail is because my son's paintball marker also came with a Lone Star grip.  I couldn't help but take notice that they and my kid shared some of the same gear.

I have one on my CQB-R clone...., but I have always felt that the Lone Star's bigger size placed the finger rest nub in a too low position for my hand.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:....I put a Lone Star grip on it. Not really sure if those were available back in the late '80's or early '90's.

Thank you for the info.
I have 3 new ones laying around, so I figured I'd throw one on as long as it was period correct.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:25:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I have 2 LSO grips.  They are my favorite grips.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Great to hear.
Mine ships tomorrow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great to hear.
Mine ships tomorrow.

Damn, $16 for shipping and they sent it first class.
Well, at least my mount comes today, a day early too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a 723'ish build laying around. Got bored and added some IDF stuff. I've since attached the sling with paracord.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Finally
Well, almost done, just need the sling.
The Aimpoint 2000 I got was nicer than I expected it to be. It even came with the polarizing filter and some clear scope caps.
Some quick pics.
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice! I bought some old B square mount for mine. I'll send you some pics once its in!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#17]
That was the other item I needed.
Gonna try the gun shows; I know a few regulars who have a good amount of old scope bases and mounts.
Maybe I'll get lucky.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I got the mount yesterday, and got a question for you. Does your sight sit straight up and down or does the control/battery compartment cause it to cant to the side. The housing on mine hits the scope base and cants it. Just curious if you have the same issue.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got the mount yesterday, and got a question for you. Does your sight sit straight up and down or does the control/battery compartment cause it to cant to the side. The housing on mine hits the scope base and cants it. Just curious if you have the same issue.
View Quote

I have the same issue.
Trying to find a old school style carry handle mount is not easy.
I have seen a extended length version similar to the one on Larry Vickers' clone; I'd have to shorten the length.
Still searching.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Arms #2 are still available.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I have an Arms 2 also, I was trying to find one that would have been around at the time. Higher rings should do the trick, but now I have to find them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Were ARMS mounts not around in the early 90's?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Were ARMS mounts not around in the early 90's?
View Quote

Not sure honestly.
My current mount is a quality copy of the A.R.M.S. #2.
This is the mount I'm looking for. It has a closed box top style. There are open top "U" styles, but I want to avoid those.
</a>" />
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Vickers said the set up they had the sight sat straight up and down, barely
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Vickers said the set up they had the sight sat straight up and down, barely
View Quote

Looking at it, it appears to only be slightly taller. Or maybe that is my wishful thinking.
About a half millimeter would allow for proper alignment.
I may just leave it the way it is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Here is my Colt 723 clone. Took the idea from a 1988 Colt brochure showing a 723 and 733 Commando. My favorite A2.

" />
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Wags, Awesome.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice KISS carbine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Here is my Colt 723 clone. Took the idea from a 1988 Colt brochure showing a 723 and 733 Commando. My favorite A2.

http://<a href=http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/bwagss/2015-09-05%2017.32.08_zpsdy4jgkmw.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Nice rig.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Finally got the mount

Maryland Gun Works (MGW) AR15 carry handle mount. Nice piece overall.
Came from Brownells.
Mounted it and there is zero cant as far as I can tell.

" />

Here is a shot of the body of the Aimpoint and how the battery compartment/switch housing hit the mount.
The cutout lets the body sit properly without canting it over to the right like the previous A.R.M.S. style mount did.

" />

Larry Vickers' rifle:

" />

My blatant clone of a clone:

" />

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Oh boy

Got a really nice Colt carbine stock and Colt 2 position buffer tube from the EE today.
Can't wait to get this stuff in.
Buffer tube is a little rough in a few spots, but those areas will be out of sight for the most part.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_119/1574906_Retro_COLT_Fiberlite__N1_CAR_Stock_w__2_pos__Colt_buffer_tube___buffer___spring___plate.html
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Where did you guys find the Aimpoints at?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Where did you guys find the Aimpoints at?
View Quote

The EE here, Gunbroker, or Ebay.
They pop up every once and a while.
I'm looking for a Aimpoint 3000 now and the ones I've found are way overpriced.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks. I'm also looking for a 3000 for BHD clone.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks. I'm also looking for a 3000 for BHD clone.
View Quote

I looked forever and ended up snapping up a 5000 instead. It seems it turns on and off when i shoot which is a pain. I'm debating whether or not aimpoint would repair it for me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, after a lot of research I chose the 5000 for my BHD clone too. As a bonus, they seem to be the most available model of the older units...
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:26:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Oooooooooooh

" />

Aaaaaaaaaaah

" />

Seems so much better with the Colt N1 stock and 2 position receiver extension,

" />
" />
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Sweet, and thanks for the source for the rail.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sweet, and thanks for the source for the rail.
View Quote

Thank's and anytime.

There was a set of 2 of the MGW mounts on gunbroker for $25 a couple of weeks ago.
They were used but not to bad as far as condition. They might still be available.
They were listed as carry handle mounts or AR mounts or something along those lines.

Side note,
I'm going to swap lowers with my 727 clone because of the 'Restricted' markings.
I'll update with new photos when task is completed.
Then onto the A2 flash hider & jam nut swap project.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, I've got one en route from Brownells, good deal, and excited to check it out.

A few years ago, I got one of the M1913 ARMS rails, then found an older Colt marked Weaver rail on Ebay, so this is just the next step in the quest lol.  Not sure if I'll go all out for a retro Aimpoint though.  I have a 9000SC I may substitute on my 723 project.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, tell me about it. When I find an Aimpoint I'm looking for it is beat up, overpriced, or both.

ETA:

BOOM
Just scored an Aimpoint 5000XD off of fleabay.
Comes with the box, mounts (may be incorrect but appear to be Aimpoint mounts), and other accessories. Just missing one of the Aimpoint flip up lens covers.
Oh, my 727 clone is moving and grooving now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Swapped stocks, tubes, and receivers for the 723 & 727 clones.
Couldn't stand the 'Restricted' markings on the 723 clone.

" />
" />

Also, side by side of the N1 stcock next to M&A Parts copy.
Colt N1 on the left.

" />
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Another easy way to hide any lower receiver markings you don't want to show is to install a Redi-Mag: you'll hide most of the lower's markings and make the carbine look more authentic to boot. Most of the BHD-era CAG photos that have come out lately (Paul Howe's, etc) show those guys using the Gen 1 Redi-Mags on their 723s...  

Will

ETA: As much as I think those Lone Star grips look goofy, apparently they were a CAG favorite for a long time. I've been told they're kosher for BHD builds, and you can still find them in pics of CAG M4s well into the mid-2000s/GWOT...
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top