Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2016 11:19:47 AM EDT
A guy has a older 603 upper with no forge codes at the rear. She has a round forge but no triangle with the VP inside. It has the sight and proper ejection cover and he wants $180 for it.  Should I Fo?  The front mount is recessed and both look black.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats a fair price if its in good shape and is original grey
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think anyone but colt did dark lugs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
talk 'em down
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to get it you won't find a whole lot of them for sale
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]
So I picked her up and paid $170 for it.  Just wondering if it's a Colt so here are the pictures. There is no Colt proof on her FWIW and in person it looks more dark than grey.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice buy!  Definitely a bargain!  Worth every penny!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks usgi score
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]
More than likely, that's a GM Hydromatic upper. I've seen them with the forge flash cleaned up from the manufacturer, but you could tell their heart wasn't in it. Looking at the rear of your carry handle, there is some unfinished machining marks (chatter), and on the front, it appears to have been machined unevenly.
All in all, a damn nice upper.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice score, wish I had that kinda luck!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Sweet! Great score.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More than likely, that's a GM Hydromatic upper. I've seen them with the forge flash cleaned up from the manufacturer, but you could tell their heart wasn't in it. Looking at the rear of your carry handle, there is some unfinished machining marks (chatter), and on the front, it appears to have been machined unevenly.
All in all, a damn nice upper.
View Quote

Cleaned her up a tad, The FA, rear sight and door seem to have a greenish tinge to them. The rear sight also has a 1 in a circle which none of my Colts have. The flashing inside the carry handle is also a tad sloppy.  Some better pics and hopefully this is a GM!!

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#12]
The Colt sight apertures after 69ish are number in a circle or C on a small rectangle pad.  Prior to 69 Colt is unmarked.  Yours looks just as described as only a circle with number and no pad.  Very likely GM receiver.  Not sure if there is a difference between GM and Colt on the port door.  Also thinking some of the early pieces shared a few identical Colt sub contractor parts until production was geared.  Not like Colt made most of the parts used in their M-16's in house.  What markings are on the backside of the forward assist? Always chance of Colt XM16E1 replacement part un proofed upper also but kinda leaning toward GM at this point in time.

Regardless very cool find.  Probably a good price too.  Good reason to hit a funshow from time to time.  Always cool to dig up a 40 plus year old part that isn't trashed.  Of course it's either sell or enjoy searching for the other very fun to gather pieces.  BCG's and barrels come up fairly often if one knows what they are looking at.  The other small stuff not so often now days.  Sometimes you can luck out if seller has some parts bins and get the lower parts all at one time.  Good luck on your build.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Bouncing text messages back and forth with my brother (Air3aws). He currently has a GM upper. He pointed me toward this: Link
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:10:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Colt sight apertures after 69ish are number in a circle or C on a small rectangle pad.  Prior to 69 Colt is unmarked.  Yours looks just as described as only a circle with number and no pad.  Very likely GM receiver.  Not sure if there is a difference between GM and Colt on the port door.  Also thinking some of the early pieces shared a few identical Colt sub contractor parts until production was geared.  Not like Colt made most of the parts used in their M-16's in house.  What markings are on the backside of the forward assist? Always chance of Colt XM16E1 replacement part un proofed upper also but kinda leaning toward GM at this point in time.

Regardless very cool find.  Probably a good price too.  Good reason to hit a funshow from time to time.  Always cool to dig up a 40 plus year old part that isn't trashed.  Of course it's either sell or enjoy searching for the other very fun to gather pieces.  BCG's and barrels come up fairly often if one knows what they are looking at.  The other small stuff not so often now days.  Sometimes you can luck out if seller has some parts bins and get the lower parts all at one time.  Good luck on your build.
View Quote

Nothing on the back of the FA.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Seems the HRAs and GMs had an almost black finish to them as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Been told that GM also used some P A marked uppers.....That's Capco / Martin Marietta.  
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top