BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought that it might be a rain cover but I wasn't sure. I kept looking at it and I thought well maybe it isn't. Thanks!

I have only seen one or two pics with the sight on the carry handle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the hand guard was always made of a composite, or were the earliest ones made of sheet metal?  Also it appears that these do not need the rear sights that attach to the handle to aim.
View Quote

The leaf sight that mounts to the top of the handguard seems more popular.

The earliest AR mounted grenade launcher was the XM-148, there was a sheet metal handguard for that.  I don't know where/when/if the lines blurred between the 148 and the 203, but the 203 had the composite handguards (seen above) from very early on.  Later those handguards were dropped as 203s just got mounted under the upper portion of round handguards on rifles and carbines.  And now, rails.

XM-148

XM-148 Handguard

And the baddest Mofo in the jungle
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks TB
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

From vets that I have talked to, the carry handle sight was rarely used - kind of like the WWII US grenade launching sight that attached to the stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the hand guard was always made of a composite, or were the earliest ones made of sheet metal?  Also it appears that these do not need the rear sights that attach to the handle to aim.

From vets that I have talked to, the carry handle sight was rarely used - kind of like the WWII US grenade launching sight that attached to the stock.

We had quadrant sights on ours, but the leaf sight on the handguard was easier to use and quicker to deploy, so most of us never used them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#5]
A couple of XM 148 & M203 shots

" />
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
" />
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]
" />
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My Airsoft Colt M-203 came in today. The description, in the ad that I saw, said nothing about a red band on the end of the barrel.  It also said that it was manufactured "under license from Colt".  However, as you can see, it DID come with a red band, and the "Colt" logo had a metal plate glued over it.  I used ELO to remove the red ring and the glue, and it looks good.  It even has a rifled barrel.  It is making me think about purchasing a REAL one.  But, then I'd go broke feeding it, lol.  Anyway, I am very pleased with the overall quality, and will post more photos after I install it on my rifle.  If anyone else is interested in getting a "Colt" marked M203, redwolfairsoft.com just got some more in stock.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
CRAP!  No Fair!  I knew you'd get yours first.  Glad everything came off OK.  Hope to have mine by the end of next? week.  Tracking # shows NADA!
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My Airsoft Colt M-203 came in today. The description, in the ad that I saw, said nothing about a red band on the end of the barrel.  It also said that it was manufactured "under license from Colt".  However, as you can see, it DID come with a red band, and the "Colt" logo had a metal plate glued over it.  I used ELO to remove the red ring and the glue, and it looks good.  It even has a rifled barrel.  It is making me think about purchasing a REAL one.  But, then I'd go broke feeding it, lol.  Anyway, I am very pleased with the overall quality, and will post more photos after I install it on my rifle.  If anyone else is interested in getting a "Colt" marked M203, redwolfairsoft.com just got some more in stock.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/kkrad_photo/0e4369506863a2cc58b4fe70a9b3126b.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/kkrad_photo/2ae9435afe0b5a7daae375b2a3ca4512.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/kkrad_photo/1e38ead943e0beb72ecd5f8905c7b8ad.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/kkrad_photo/74d2fc2550849244df218087e485b4d1.jpg
View Quote
Did it come with the second barrel band needed for rifle length mounting? It has a long tab protruding from the barrel band.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Did it come with the second barrel band needed for rifle length mounting? It has a long tab protruding from the barrel band.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/kkrad_photo/0e4369506863a2cc58b4fe70a9b3126b.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/kkrad_photo/2ae9435afe0b5a7daae375b2a3ca4512.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/kkrad_photo/1e38ead943e0beb72ecd5f8905c7b8ad.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/kkrad_photo/74d2fc2550849244df218087e485b4d1.jpg

Yes, it did come with that second barrel band.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:26:32 AM EDT
[#12]
What is the second barrel band? I keep seeing two different mountings for the barrel. I see one that folds over and the one that you have.

I want to put one on a 20" rifle. What do I need?

Also I need to head over to Red Wolf. Your launcher looks awesome. How hard was it to take off red ring and glue and also the tab over the Colt name?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What is the second barrel band? I keep seeing two different mountings for the barrel. I see one that folds over and the one that you have.
I want to put one on a 20" rifle. What do I need?
Also I need to head over to Red Wolf. Your launcher looks awesome. How hard was it to take off red ring and glue and also the tab over the Colt name?
View Quote
The fold over, or quick detach is more modern.

I was referring to the one seen in the below photo. The one in the photo he posted (doesn't have tab) is used for mounting on the early carbines like xm177 .etc

But for rifles one needed one like the one see below which has he forward tab. The one he ordered came with both simple vintage carbine and rifle barrel bands which covers all the Vietnam era mounting styles.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been following this thread closely...

About to pull the trigger on one.  It looks like the G&P is the way to go.

I have a Spikes Tactical .22 upper--the barrel is slightly recessed, so it is actually M4 "length".  I think that this might actually look close to the M4/M203 that I carried overseas.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

The tab over the Colt logo popped off with my fingernail.  It took all of two minutes to remove the glue and the red band.  It is a very well made unit, and it is nice and heavy. .
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The tab over the Colt logo popped off with my fingernail.  It took all of two minutes to remove the glue and the red band.  It is a very well made unit, and it is nice and heavy. .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When do you plan to mount it?  PIcs please?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess there is no time like the present.  It went right on, with no modifications needed.  I just have to add a side sling swivel, and I'm done.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Now that's just showin off! LOL.  Now when I get mine it'll just be sloppy seconds.  Hope mine goes on and looks as good as yours.  Glad I started this thread.  Seems for once, I'm costing others money here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Now that's just showin off! LOL.  Now when I get mine it'll just be sloppy seconds.  Hope mine goes on and looks as good as yours.  Glad I started this thread.  Seems for once, I'm costing others money here.
View Quote

I do owe you a big "THANK YOU".  About six months ago I looked everywhere for a Colt branded launcher, and finally gave up. This thread renewed my interest, and provided the link I needed to order one.  I had read that the elusive "King" launcher required many mods to fit on a real weapon, so I am VERY pleased that this G&P launcher went right on.  You have cost me money in the past, and I'm sure you will do so in the future, lol. BTW, your photos will not be sloppy seconds, and we would all like to see you post them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Your rifle looks awesome! I want one!

Whoever installs the next one do pics of the install if you can. That would be great.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks great!

Yikes, $27 for shipping.  Ouch baby, very ouch!
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looks great!

Yikes, $27 for shipping.  Ouch baby, very ouch!
View Quote

Actually, Airmail (Speedpost) shipping is $35.27 and it is the only option available if you pay with PayPal or credit card.  I think it was still worth it, and it DID get here FAST.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I do owe you a big "THANK YOU".  About six months ago I looked everywhere for a Colt branded launcher, and finally gave up. This thread renewed my interest, and provided the link I needed to order one.  I had read that the elusive "King" launcher required many mods to fit on a real weapon, so I am VERY pleased that this G&P launcher went right on.  You have cost me money in the past, and I'm sure you will do so in the future, lol. BTW, your photos will not be sloppy seconds, and we would all like to see you post them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I have a King one and while it looks & feels awesome, just mocking it up on a barrel showed me that the front barrel band is going to require some sort of sleeve or shim. It's loose -- like it was designed for a much bigger barrel or something.  Mine only came with one barrel band.  It's still sitting in a box until I figure it out.

Btw yours looks great.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Yipes!  You got me worried now.  Oh well, if I don't like it, off to ebay and I'll buy the G&P.

Mail already came today so now its at least Monday.

EDIT:  Doing some more looking at these, it appears that G&P/King may be the same Manufacturer?

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Is there any way of taking the handguards off and taking a pic? I would like to see how it is mounted. I'm so close to pulling the trigger and buying one. I should be buying barrels for the six uppers I have.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Heres the mounting

" />

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#27]
" />
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is there any way of taking the handguards off and taking a pic? I would like to see how it is mounted. I'm so close to pulling the trigger and buying one. I should be buying barrels for the six uppers I have.
View Quote

Here you go:

First, remove your handguards

Then simply pop on the barrel mount

Then slide on the launcher

And screw on the mount to the launcher

Then simply pop on the handguard

And you are finished

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#29]

That is the mount for the M4 barrel.  The m16 mount has a tail in the front of it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#30]
now get some gas shells and the foam rubber balls from this site m203 stuff and go shoot it.  Its cool the barrel will smoke and is loud at least in the house... LOL and you can't see the balls leave the barrel they leave so fast..... I would suggest getting the gas off of eBay other wise the air soft places like to charge you UPS hazmat fees to ship it. On eBay you can find it with free shipping....
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey Indiana, is yours Black or retro grey.  Hard to tell from the pics.  I'm thinkin if mine comes black I may Aluma Hyde it to XM Grey?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hey Indiana, is yours Black or retro grey.  Hard to tell from the pics.  I'm thinkin if mine comes black I may Aluma Hyde it to XM Grey?
View Quote

The receiver is dark grey, and the barrel is black.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#33]
And thats the way the were in Nam?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Do I get credit for starting this new fad? Or was it already in the pipeline?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I started this topic because there were two hand guards for sale on the EE and was considering buying one, just for something different.  Then wondered if the Airsofts were a close enough match to actually buy one.

If you'd like the credit, please feel free to claim it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I started this topic because there were two hand guards for sale on the EE and was considering buying one, just for something different.  Then wondered if the Airsofts were a close enough match to actually buy one.

View Quote
It's easy to see the appeal of it even if there was no precedent, whatever we've got to do to feed the brd.

How much did you end up paying for your handguards?

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Thank you for the pictures!

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I paid $50 shipped I think.  They have the sights.  Then a day later at a show I found a pr for $5.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's easy to see the appeal of it even if there was no precedent, whatever we've got to do to feed the brd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Original handguards with sights sell for $35 to $60
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:25:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Do I get credit for starting this new fad? Or was it already in the pipeline?
View Quote

I don't know. I'd posted a thread about using an airsoft 203 on a clone build sometime in late 2014 or early 2015. But it may have been in the A2 forum since it's going on an A2/203 clone.

You get credit for the shotgun thing though.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:27:47 AM EDT
[#41]

Shit. I don't remember mine looking like that.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:47:50 AM EDT
[#42]
FYI, the Brackets are available on Numrich:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1078840.htm
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#43]
I carried a M16A1 / M203 while stationed in germany in the mid 80's  . I liked the bitch ....WarDawg
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

FYI, the Brackets are available on Numrich:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1078840.htm
View Quote
Great & thanks.  I may need one of these.  Won't know till the 203 arrives

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I like those 203s. Makes me want to buy one. They are not cheap though. Do they all cost around $300?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#46]
I have around $165 in this set up. It just dose not  say Colt on the side.
Launcher and handguard.

launcher was $56.95 + $11 shipping from here http://www.airsoftstation.com/d-boys-3-in-1-m203-gas-powered-40mm-grenade-launcher-long/

real GI Handguard with sight I got off the EE board for $65 shipped

front GI mount for $24.95 + $5.95 shipping from here. It included the mount with two fiber glass spacers and 2 screws.  http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/originalnewgimountingbracketform209grenadelauncher.aspx

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I like those 203s. Makes me want to buy one. They are not cheap though. Do they all cost around $300?
View Quote

The one I have pictured earlier in this thread (WITH the Colt markingings) was $84.00 + $34.27 shipping from redwolfairsoft.com.  It came with the front mount, so no added expense there, and I picked up the handguard with sight at a gun show for $25.00.   So, my total investment/expenditure was $143.27
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The one I have pictured earlier in this thread (WITH the Colt markingings) was $84.00 + $34.27 shipping from redwolfairsoft.com.  It came with the front mount, so no added expense there, and I picked up the handguard with sight at a gun show for $25.00.   So, my total investment/expenditure was $143.27
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may buy one!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I carried a M16A1 / M203 while stationed in germany in the mid 80's  . I liked the bitch ....WarDawg
View Quote

I carried one in the  late 80's and I was dam accurate with it :)  I built a37 mm but I'm digging the airsoft which is the best one to get
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#50]
What is the shortest barrel I can mount an M203 to? I want to do an Israeli build with one of the new 12.7" barrels from Brownells and I think an M203 would look pretty awesome on an SBR like that.
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top