User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I am thinking I am going to go with a very dark brown as a base coat before the dip of the stock and hand guard. Then dark brown on the butt plate. The clear them to see how close they are. I can always sand them and then spray tinted clear if they done look right. Just poured a new mold, we will see how it looks when it is dry.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:15:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Just read the whole thread. It's awesome. I've been playing with moulding off and on for a few years, but I still suck. Current project is 633 handguards:

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:27:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome work you've done here sir!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I made a darker brown butt that I think I will be using. I reinforced it with glass mat. Just a touch darker then I wanted, but tired of trying at this point. Dark Walnut paint on the furniture (deep brown not showing up in pictures), now ready for the dip.

Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking great.  I love following this thread.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Simple blown away by this thread. I'll be following with interest! Nice work
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty damn cool
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok, Im pretty sure this is the coolest home brew ever... just saying Great Job!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
This... is... AMAZING!  You're trying things that are not on my radar, and I love the results!  Motivating me to get back to my projects one of these days...
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a repro copy of the prototype op guide and in it there is a blue print. The interesting thing to me is that it shows the sling swivel on both the grip and the stock. I have never seen a picture of a prototype stock with the swivel in it.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a repro copy of the prototype op guide and in it there is a blue print. The interesting thing to me is that it shows the sling swivel on both the grip and the stock. I have never seen a picture of a prototype stock with the swivel in it.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/58Bisc/guns/40ff09bb1f7915eb093c680a824343bb_zpsru1auhg9.jpg
View Quote

The prototypes did not have the sling swivel on the stock - just on the grip.  The EARLY 601's (like in the picture) had the swivel in both places.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The prototypes did not have the sling swivel on the stock - just on the grip.  The EARLY 601's (like in the picture) had the swivel in both places.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/58Bisc/guns/40ff09bb1f7915eb093c680a824343bb_zpsru1auhg9.jpg

I believe the blue print is the prototype, not the 601. It has the trigger charging handle, Armalite pony on the butt, one piece handguard, slim front sight, etc... the only thing that is off is the fact that it has three sling swivels. Sight, grip and stock. That is why I am calling it out. My guess was that they always intended to move it to the stock.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I believe the blue print is the prototype, not the 601. It has the trigger charging handle, Armalite pony on the butt, one piece handguard, slim front sight, etc... the only thing that is off is the fact that it has three sling swivels. Sight, grip and stock. That is why I am calling it out. My guess was that they always intended to move it to the stock.
View Quote

However, it shows the 601 buffer and the 601 fire control group.  The prototypes had a TOTALLY DIFFERENT fire control group, and a noticably different buffer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting points. The lower is a prototype as well as the markings on it in a different location of the blue print. I've been studying it much closer since you pointed those items out as well as the sling swivel. The is another op manual available on the 601 that has the same type of blue print, but shows all of the improvements that were made on the early 601. We know that many of the original prototypes were built differently and in some cases later modified with early 601 parts. If you get the chance to see the entire blue print I would be interested in your other observations.

Edit note - the stock swivel appears to be the early type A rotating style.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We know that many of the original prototypes were built differently and in some cases later modified with early 601 parts. If you get the chance to see the entire blue print I would be interested in your other observations.
View Quote

I'll whip mine out in a bit and take a look
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Missed this thread somehow. Super proto project and execution.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

If your talking about the one I've seen on eBay, it's not real. It's a fantasy item based on the real Colt 601 manual. Whoever did it, just used some Photoshop trickery to alter the 601 images into that of the prototypes. They missed several important details such as the stock swivel, the buffer, the trigger group, and who knows what else.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Remember, drawings are just that, a drawing.  Unless it is officially marked somewhere, anyone could have drawn them.

I only trust real photos unless it's an official drawing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Remember, drawings are just that, a drawing.  Unless it is officially marked somewhere, anyone could have drawn them.

I only trust real photos unless it's an official drawing.
View Quote

With photoshop getting better daily, I'm not sure how many photos you can truly trust either
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I just got a copy of a June of 1959 American Rifleman magazine. In it on page 24 there was a one page write up on the Armalite AR-15 with a few small pictures. I can't tell which serial number it is, but the bolt looks different to me. Could just be the pictures, but the hammer looks more like an AR-10 to me.

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, both the bolt and the hammer are different than the modern parts. They're almost identical to early AR-10 parts.

Long gas key, flat on the ejection port side of the carrier, fat firing pin, large hammer, fal style disconnector, etc. Vicker's Guide to the AR-15 has some great photos in it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes, both the bolt and the hammer are different than the modern parts. They're almost identical to early AR-10 parts.

Long gas key, flat on the ejection port side of the carrier, fat firing pin, large hammer, fal style disconnector, etc. Vicker's Guide to the AR-15 has some great photos in it.
View Quote
Was the firing pin blued big head with dimple in the fact of the big head?  Does anyone have any pics of this early pin?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Was the firing pin blued big head with dimple in the fact of the big head?  Does anyone have any pics of this early pin?
View Quote
I have two or maybe three of the original blue big head firing pins with dimple.  I was informed they are from the original prototype run.  Do you have more info on them?

John Thomas
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have two or maybe three of the original blue big head firing pins with dimple.  I was informed they are from the original prototype run.  Do you have more info on them?

John Thomas
View Quote
This is news to me. Would you mind posting some pics?

I think I saw a worn, rusty looking one before but, it never occurred to me that the prototypes might have had a different finish. It would be interesting since the sling swivel appears to be blued as well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Keeping the thread alive... Weather is getting better here, so I will try to find the time to do the wrap on the stock and hand guards. Once that is done I can send off the upper parts to JT for assembly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#27]
So I did the dip today. Turned out not perfect, but not bad also. I may have to do the stock again as a bug landed in the wet clear. I'all have to sand and see what the result is.

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#28]
That looks great
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#29]
You've got hell of a project going on there, can't wait to see the results!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Still lovin it!  Great work.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Great work.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Looks great, plus the weather looks nice up there too!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#33]
That turned out great!  Can't wait to see it all mounted up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I have to say that's a pretty good looking furniture set!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#35]
This thread is awesome, great work!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top