Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2016 6:28:13 PM EDT
What was used to store 40mm grenades in Vietnam when the m203 became available?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What was used to store 40mm grenades in Vietnam when the m203 became available?
View Quote

The ammunition was issued in a cloth bandolier similar to an M1 Garand bandolier.  There were plastic egg carton style holders in the bandoliers to cradle the projectiles.  I have seen these bandoliers in brown & OD.  They are not expensive at all.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#4]

First model grenade vest, the three round plastic cups from the cloth bandoleer were placed in the pockets. These came out around 1966.

plastic bandoleer, these were used for CS and chemical grenade rounds

second model grenade vest, these had plastic snap buttons like the M1967 webbing, pockets held a single grenade, late 1960's issue...somewhere around 1968 if memory serves me correct

Cloth bandoleers and plastic egg crate cups

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]
SEAL's had their own shit for the most part...

grenadiers flotation coat

grenadiers coat modified by Mammasan

First model grenade vest

Some strange looking contrivance
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#6]

I imagine the first vests were made at a tailor shop in the nearest ville.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#7]

The Australian Special Air Service would often cut a row of pockets from a second model grenade vest and attach them to their webbing.

Sometimes they used the vests as issued, the 40mm launchers were a hell of a force multiplier for the small teams
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.charleyssurplus.com/Grenade_Vest?keyword=vest

(Third Model?) These are essentially second model vests, only these will have brass snap buttons, the plastic were prone to breaking. Mine was dated 1973. Seems like the four upper pockets are slightly longer on these also. I don't remember.

ETA: Just checked, yes the upper pockets are longer label says "for pyrotechnic rounds". (flares)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Repro-Vietnam-Early-M79-Grenade-Vest-ARVN-MIKE-FORCE-SEALS-/121888155715?hash=item1c6119a843:g:KukAAOSwL7VWjpnY

This shop out of Hong Kong offers a repro first model from their e-pay store at times, marketed towards reenactors and the airsofters. Quite expen$ive but not nearly as much as an original...unless the person selling doesn't know what it is.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top