BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2016 4:48:44 PM EDT
Taking the dive into retro... Here's a start: 607
604 upper

Hopefully I'll get the funds out to Matt today for one of his amazing stocks. Lowers will be sent out to Braceman as soon as brownells delivers. Need a correct BCG, port door, and still not 100% on the barrel/FSP.
I'm pretty well versed in cloning, but this retro stuff is a whole new ballgame!! I'm actually trying to offload a vintage Les Paul guitar to fund the good stuff on this build Cheers.

Edit: pic addage

Quoted:
Quoted:
looks like a nice square forged upper. Can we have a pic from the left side? As an aside, a slick sided 607 would, by all evidence, be rollmarked as a 607, not a GX5857. All indications show that GX marked 607's were forward assisted. I know..........bummer. My 607, rollmarked as a GX-5857 also wears a 604 upper. I do have a 603 upper receiver for it, just haven't taken the time to swap it out.
Enjoy the build!
What he said. And I have to repeat. That is a beautiful square forge!

I think I need to do more research, because everything you said went right over my head! Haha. So in short, slick side 607's had 603 uppers their lower roll marked "607"?

O

Few more pieces of the puzzle in today...

Getting closer!

Heeeeeellll yea!

Edit: Milled out the lower, had a local guy attempt to cerakote match the original lower... I think it came out bitch'n!!! Need a few mor pieces and she'll be complete!!

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#1]
looks like a nice square forged upper.  Can we have a pic from the left side?     As an aside, a slick sided 607 would, by all evidence, be rollmarked as a 607, not a GX5857.   All indications show that GX marked 607's were forward assisted. I know..........bummer.   My 607, rollmarked as a GX-5857 also wears a 604 upper. I do have a 603 upper receiver for it, just haven't taken the time to swap it out.
Enjoy the build!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

looks like a nice square forged upper.  Can we have a pic from the left side?     As an aside, a slick sided 607 would, by all evidence, be rollmarked as a 607, not a GX5857.   All indications show that GX marked 607's were forward assisted. I know..........bummer.   My 607, rollmarked as a GX-5857 also wears a 604 upper. I do have a 603 upper receiver for it, just haven't taken the time to swap it out.

Enjoy the build!
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Enjoy the build!

I think I need to do more research, because everything you said went right over my head! Haha. So in short, slick side 607's had 603 uppers their lower roll marked "607"?

As long as I can replicate the wear on the lower, I don't care how correct she will be, lol

Edit: there does appear to be an area in the middle of the left side, a slight depression in the aluminum (almost in the shape of a bullet). The inside is completely smooth, so not worried about it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Looking good.  I'm going with a GX 5857 as I wanted the FA and the Issue look, but either way you go, it's sure to be a stunner.

Keep us updated.

Talk to Braceman about a barrel group.  He did mine.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#5]
My inspiration on the bottom!

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Sexy!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Few more pieces of the puzzle in today...

Brownells was supposed to send (3) 80% ers... Not sure what happened there...

Hopefully Matt will have or has my check for the stock, and the barrel will be here on Saturday, hopefully allowing me to ship the lower and barrel to Braceman next week sometime!
Heatnbeat is about 3 weeks away from taking my cash on a rear HG cap. Push'n forward...  

Edit: Also got ahold of an old Bushy fake moderator... still unsure if I'm gonna use it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 5:37:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Why the full auto safety?
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#9]
looking good
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
Why not??....
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:46:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Question guys: Since it's a slickside, do I mark the lower as "Mod. 07"??
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:54:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Why not??....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not??....
I don't know the current laws other than that it's okay to have a m16 carrier, but I've never seen a civilian rifle with full auto parts that haven't been cutdown or welded over. I personally wouldn't want to risk it over a $10 part.

I had my house raided over gen3 Nightvision that the idiots down at Fort Polk thought was stolen locally. It was all returned to me.

After seeing all my setup some of the local cops that were present went and told some of my law enforcement friends that I had an illegal gunsmithing business lol. That was a badge of honor as everything I was working on was mine.

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh no, not this again! A full auto selector does NOTHING if you don't have corresponding parts. NO full auto disconnecter and the selector has nothing to actuate. You can have whatever parts you want in the FCG as long as it only fires ONE time with one pull of the trigger. Yes, certain combos can cause you to potentially be in unwanted territory, but a selector by itself is not that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:34:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

All of the original examples that I have seen would indicate that to be so. All Gx-5857 marked lowers we have seen are forward assisted and all slick sided are marked 07/07A/07B (I think I am correct on the A and B)
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#15]
A full auto selector with an AR15 trigger provides a second safety position. It's more safe that way
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

All of the original examples that I have seen would indicate that to be so. All Gx-5857 marked lowers we have seen are forward assisted and all slick sided are marked 07/07A/07B (I think I am correct on the A and B)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good deal guys. Yea the A and B from what I gather is Burst or Auto (or some variant). Don't care much about that.

The trigger is perfectly legal for me to own. Not worried one bit.

Should be shipping the goods to Braceman tomorrow!
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#17]
That is a wonderful old upper receiver. Your port door rod is in backwards. The c-clip end should be right behind the slip ring.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That is a wonderful old upper receiver. Your port door rod is in backwards. The c-clip end should be right behind the slip ring.
View Quote
Haha. It's just in for pics brother. Good eye though!
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Getting closer!  

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Mmmmm

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Sweet yummy goodness there alright.  Funny, I did my Bday for a ser# that was almost the same as yours.  Are you SBR'ing it?

Keep goin!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Braceman rules, such great work
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#23]
@37thguy: absolutely

@colt: John and Matt are super talented individuals. We're lucky to have them in this community!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Heeeeeellll yea!

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Matt is the shit!! Thanks again brother. This stock is amazing!

Shouldn't be too much longer and I'll have the barrel back from braceman. Things I still need:

Bolt catch

Mag release

Trigger guard

Hand guards

Three prong

^anyone who can help with those feel free to email me**

Tax stamp

I pray I don't fuck this lower up when it comes time to mill

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/zakk101abn/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5a8dkdxv.jpeg

Shouldn't be too much longer and I'll have the barrel back from braceman. Things I still need:

Bolt catch
Mag release
Trigger guard
Hand guards
Three prong
Tax stamp

View Quote

Looking great, brother.  Can't wait to see the finished product.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/zakk101abn/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5a8dkdxv.jpeg

Bolt catch

Mag release

Trigger guard

Hand guards

Three prong

Tax stamp

View Quote

Knock on wood I hope you don't too Zach, but should it happen I will thread and pin the new one for you no charge

I went plum stupid one day and turned the Y instead of the X and busted out the side of one of my engraved lowers... I almost cried.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Knock on wood I hope you don't too Zach, but should it happen I will thread and pin the new one for you no charge

I went plum stupid one day and turned the Y instead of the X and busted out the side of one of my engraved lowers... I almost cried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bolt catch
Mag release
Trigger guard
Hand guards
Three prong
Tax stamp

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:25:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bolt catch

Mag release

Trigger guard

Hand guards

Three prong

Tax stamp

Haha. I appreciate it man. Hopefully I won't be needing those services, for awhile anyways.

Those of you on the fence about doing a 607, Matts the bees knees to deal with. No better time to jump in than now! Lotta support on this forum from some very talented Americans.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#30]
New pic in the OP
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm actually trying to offload a vintage Les Paul guitar to fund the good stuff on this build  
View Quote

Your 607 is looking sick, but deets on that guitar!
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm actually trying to offload a vintage Les Paul guitar to fund the good stuff on this build  

Sold it brother. Was a '76 std. Tobacco burst.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Are you going to have your lower anodized?  If you do, who do you plan on sending it to?
And what sort of work is braceman doing to you barrel?   I am going to be sending him my lower for engraving tomorrow.   i am also gathering parts to build a 607 with one of Matt's stocks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#34]
New poster here, lurking forever. Got the retro bug, and want to build a 607. Looking for the stock before I start the build. Would love to get info on who is selling them, and any advice on finding the other parts. On the waiting list at NoDak Spud for upper and lower.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
New poster here, lurking forever. Got the retro bug, and want to build a 607. Looking for the stock before I start the build. Would love to get info on who is selling them, and any advice on finding the other parts. On the waiting list at NoDak Spud for upper and lower.
Thanks.
View Quote

https://www.facebook.com/607stock/
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm having the same issue.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I definitely fucked some shit up. I have no experience with metal working, but have decent technical skills. I went through 2 end mills before I finally figured out the speed that worked for me. It would cut great for several passes, then it was like I would hit a land mine and the thing would jump all over the place. I gouged up the pocket slightly, but the lower functions perfectly. The only modification I had to do was use a Dremmel with drum sander to clearance the hammer to front of pocket clearance. That may have been because my trigger pins were drilled slightly forward (they don't appear to be by using a calibrated eye ball) or I did not remove enough material from the milling process....

Just go slow and you'll figure it out. If you're really worried, by another 7075 lower to practice on. I probably should have, but fuck it.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Copious amounts of wd40, or similer oil, helps when milling aluminum. Also, if you're not using a good milling machine, but a drill press, you'll want to make sure you are CONVENTIONAL milling, not CLIMB milling. If you don't know what those two methods are you'll want to research that. Climb milling on a machine that's not in good shape will result in disappointment. (A drill press was not designed for milling).
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Copious amounts of wd40, or similer oil, helps when milling aluminum. Also, if you're not using a good milling machine, but a drill press, you'll want to make sure you are CONVENTIONAL milling, not CLIMB milling. If you don't know what those two methods are you'll want to research that. Climb milling on a machine that's not in good shape will result in disappointment. (A drill press was not designed for milling).
View Quote
Using a router for the milling. No high speed gear here.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Zak, I would think the Conventional vs Climb would still apply. You may know, but for those that dont, climb milling is when the cutter rotation is trying to "pull" the cutter into the work.....imagine you are cutting the fcp, on the right side of the pocket.....moving from back to front...the cutter is spinning clockwise. That condition (climb milling) will try to pull the router/cutter into the work.
Now, envision cutting back to front, but on the left side. This condition, conventional milling, will have the cutter trying to push away, or resist, being pulled into the work....resulting in a smoother cut.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Zak, I would think the Conventional vs Climb would still apply. You may know, but for those that dont, climb milling is when the cutter rotation is trying to "pull" the cutter into the work.....imagine you are cutting the fcp, on the right side of the pocket.....moving from back to front...the cutter is spinning clockwise. That condition (climb milling) will try to pull the router/cutter into the work.

Now, envision cutting back to front, but on the left side. This condition, conventional milling, will have the cutter trying to push away, or resist, being pulled into the work....resulting in a smoother cut.
View Quote
Gotcha bro. Thanks.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top